PDA

View Full Version : favourite leg workouts

dandia89
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
i'm getting pretty bored of my plain leg workouts and just wondering what are some alternatives to squats. what do you guys include in your leg workout?

bulaian
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
try some different forms of squats?

back squat
front squat
zercher squat
hack squat
jump squat
box squat
sumo squat

wintonyk
03-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
try some different forms of squats?

back squat
front squat
zercher squat
hack squat
jump squat
box squat
sumo squat

I am all about variations as well. Today was leg workout for me:

back squats (heavy ie max 6 reps)
front squats (mid 10 reps)
24 inch step up holding bar over head (go light on this)
Jumping lunges
Wind sprints (50m)

Sometimes I throw bosu work in there to, bosu squats, pistol squats with one foot on upside down bosu.

I try and use the bar for everything, so my hack squats are with the bar, none of this machine taking away your stabilizer shit.

Oz-
03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk

I try and use the bar for everything, so my hack squats are with the bar, none of this machine taking away your stabilizer shit.

:werd:

A real hack squat is tough, especially getting the timing for your body correct. The first few times I tried it, the back of my legs were just strawberried badly due to the knurling on the bar scraping me badly.

To the OP - squats. Do some different accessory work if you want like pullthroughs, good mornings or GHR's. If you don't want to free squat, try to get squat off a box. That will definitely help your depth but mainly your explosiveness out of the hole.

Masked Bandit
03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
SQUAT...BIG.

The rest is just fluff. Squat till you puke / pass out / can't stand and you will want for legs no more.

A790
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Lunges?

haha

swak
03-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Ride bikes.
... and SQUAT.
Then ride again...
Then Squat...
Ride...
Squat...
Ride...

... if you can still walk after that, youre doing it wrong.

scboss
03-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Yeah I use to do back squats was up to two plates, tried front squats and could only do one plate. Good to switch it up and i feel like i got more explosive power right now after switching to this routine

Front squat 4 sets
Leg press superset with leg curl 4 sets
Calve raises 4 sets

Getting some good gains leg press is 5 plates on each side front squat has increased 20 pounds since i started.