PDA

View Full Version : NW Gym (Monthly)

chathamf
03-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Hey Guys,

Used to be a member at Golds, but cancelled because I was moving away for university. Now I'm heading back for the summer and want somewhere to go for May-Sept. Anyone know of anywhere that just lets you pay by the month, with no big membership buy in?

nagooro
03-22-2010, 04:10 PM
I went to the crowfoot YMCA last summer, they have some sort of summer membership. I don't remember all the details so I would give them a call. Pricing worked out to be pretty decent.

Spoons
03-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Cardel Place offers monthly passes, and it is a pretty decent facility.

gqmw
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Crowfoot YMCA has a summer membership, it's pretty decent. I don't remember how much it is though.

By no means is it the best gym, but it was a decent deal.

chathamf
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check out YCMA. Don't really care how great the gym is anyways as I only need some cardio machines and free weights. Nice and close to as I live in Dalhousie.

gqmw
03-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Thanks guys, I'll check out YCMA. Don't really care how great the gym is anyways as I only need some cardio machines and free weights. Nice and close to as I live in Dalhousie.

If you live in Dalhousie what about golds in northland?

chathamf
03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by gqmw

If you live in Dalhousie what about golds in northland?

I'm assuming they will charge me a bunch of ridiculous fees and somehow be a hassle to stop paying.

Was a member there for years and they try to suck as much money out of you as possible.

zipdoa
03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

I'm assuming they will charge me a bunch of ridiculous fees and somehow be a hassle to stop paying.

Was a member there for years and they try to suck as much money out of you as possible.

this.

golds is a fucking scam. you have to send a registered letter ($9) and manage to remember to send it 31 days before your contract expires. they also have hidden 'equip maitenance fees'.

liquidboi69
03-24-2010, 11:55 AM
You can pay monthly at any university/college gym without a startup fee like normal gyms. They also give you student rates if you are a student elsewhere. U of C has 4 month memberships for around 120(?) if they let you use your student status.

I recommend U of C or Mount Royal. I don't know why more people don't consider these places vs. a place like Golds. In my opinion, these two gyms are some of the best gyms in Calgary, barring some of the more hardcore places like Northgate, BJ's, Remmingtons, etc.

Those two gyms are way better than places like Cardel/YMCA/Northland or Downtown Golds. I also strongly advise you to avoid the SAIT gym.

j.garner
03-24-2010, 12:38 PM
What area of NW sorry if i missed it in the thread.

bjstare
03-24-2010, 12:48 PM
^Dalhousie. Easy to miss, it only appeared four times in half a page....:rolleyes:

chathamf
03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by liquidboi69
You can pay monthly at any university/college gym without a startup fee like normal gyms. They also give you student rates if you are a student elsewhere. U of C has 4 month memberships for around 120(?) if they let you use your student status.

I recommend U of C or Mount Royal. I don't know why more people don't consider these places vs. a place like Golds. In my opinion, these two gyms are some of the best gyms in Calgary, barring some of the more hardcore places like Northgate, BJ's, Remmingtons, etc.

Those two gyms are way better than places like Cardel/YMCA/Northland or Downtown Golds. I also strongly advise you to avoid the SAIT gym.

That sounds like a great deal for U of C. I will have to look into that one for sure. What is the parking like there in the summer?

liquidboi69
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
^Parking is expensive. However, I park in residential areas (a church across from campus.) It is about a 10 minute walk to the gym. I consider it warmup/cool down.

One thing that I've heard from people who choose not to go to UC gym or Mount Royal, is that because they have to pay for parking, it ends up being around the same as a normal gym.

I've always questioned what kind of attitude this is. Why can't you do a 10 min walk if you are going to do a bunch of lifting/cardio in the gym anyways? It never made any sense to me. Skip the in gym cardio, do the cardio to your car. If you're a person who doesn't do cardio, consider it warmup (because you should be doing some warmup anyway if you're lifting heavy enough.)

If this is an issue, Mount Royal's parking is 200 bucks/year or something like that, whereas UC is something like 60 bucks/month.

Parking at any time is fine, and residential areas that most people park in for the summer is mainly empty.