PDA

View Full Version : FS: Kenwood VR-410

SinisterProbeGt
12-04-2003, 03:18 PM
EDIT - NEW PRICE $250.00
http://products.consumerguide.com/images/cpreview/66611110048002MED.jpg
Kenwood’s VR-410 Dolby Digital receiver offers some of the most advanced features available today at a very reasonable price. The top-of-the-line VR-410 also offers DTS surround sound decoding. It has 100 watts of power available in stereo or surround modes. Multiple modes of digital signal processing let you customize the sound to suit your personal taste. It has a full complement of A/V inputs, including six channel analog inputs, three outputs, two optical and two coaxial digital inputs, one digital output, four composite and four S-video inputs, and one composite and one S-video output. It also has a six-channel analog input ready for DVD-audio players, and six channels of pre-amplifier outputs. The real beauty of this system actually lies in the remote control. The remote has an LCD screen to help with setups. When the VR-410 is connected to a Kenwood Mega CD changer, the remote’s screen will display the disc and song titles, if that information is available. It uses an RF link that lets you use it anywhere in your house, and since there are multiple outputs, you can even use the remote in the room that is receiving the “B” signal. The remote can also remember “macros,” sets of instructions that can be activated with one keystroke. The remote alone makes this a Best Buy; add in an incredible Dolby Digital receiver, and the VR410 becomes irresistible.

I bought this reciever just over a year ago for around 800 bucks it rocks and comes with 60 days warrenty looking for $250.00http://products.consumerguide.com/images/cpreview/66611110048002LRG.jpg

Here is a review
Price / Performance = Great deal with the VR410
Jun 18 '01 (Updated Jun 18 '01)

Author's Product Rating

Sound:
Ease of Use:
Durability:

Pros
Ample power, Clean sound, Remote, Great features for price, More inputs/ouputs than most

Cons
Remote has occasional lapse of memory, and eats batteries

The Bottom Line
I would recommend the VR-410 to any home theater enthusiast who is looking for the great performance without breaking the bank.

Full Review
I have had the VR-410 for a little over a year now, and I love it. now it is close to $400 bucks at most places, but is still worth the price tag. I use it in my home theater system as my DD 5.1 and DTS receiver. It performs very well, and has plenty of power for everything I use it for, including Movies, Music and TV.

I love the number of inputs/outputs this receiver comes with. This was a big plus, when I was looking at what receiver to purchase for my home.

Input/Output breakdown:
Rear Digital Inputs (Optical): 2
Rear Digital Inputs (Coax): 2
Rear Digital Outputs (Optical): 1
Front Audio/Video Inputs: 1
Front S-Video Input: 1
Headphone Jack: 1
Preamplifier Outputs: All Channels
Rear Audio/Video Inputs: 2
Rear S-Video Input: 2
Rear S-Video Output: 2
Rear Audio/Video Outputs: 1
Analog Audio Inputs: 3
Phono Input: 1
Subwoofer Preamplifier Outputs: 1

I have my Panasonic 5 Disc DVD/CD changer hooked up to it using the optical toslink connector. The clarity this provides is outstanding. The video from the DVD player is fed directly into my TV via. component video. I have my HI-FI VCR hooked up to 1 set of the A/V inputs and one of the s-video inputs. I often times make use of the front A/V connectors when using my video game systems. I even use the s-video on the front when I use my Dreamcast. It is actually a really nice feature to have that most people don't think they need, or will ever use (including myself). I still have plenty of room for future expansion should I get some more components. Another feature that is nice, although I don't use it myself is support for 2 sets of speakers (A/B), which could be in a separate room or same room, if you used different speakers for listening to music or movies.

My receiver is hooked up to a set of JBL NSP1 speakers (4 surrounds and 1 center channel) and a JBL 12" powered subwoofer. All together they provide a great sounding home theater, with the clarity you want when watching DVD's.

The remote is a tad large but has plenty of buttons for you button freaks out there. A pretty cool little LCD screen that lights up when a button is pressed (when it hasn't eaten through your batteries that is). It is a IR/RF programmable remote, meaning all the receivers commands are sent using the RF feature so it will go through walls, and what not. Great if you have the receiver in a separate room or behind a panel and want to control it. All of your other components that use IR can be controlled by the IR part of the remote. You can also program your own IR codes for those that it doesn't come preprogrammed with (it comes with an awful lot preprogrammed). It also has like a little setup wizard that takes you through setting up the remote for other components, which is pretty cool. No more having to find the instruction manual for the program codes of your VCR or TV... they are built in. One really neat feature of the VR-410 is that it has 2 IR repeaters outputs built in. Basically these allow you to send a RF signal to the VR-410 and it will repeat the corresponding IR signal to the correct component, thus giving you RF capabilities for 2 more components. You can also program up to 3 macros for the remote to store and play back, this also is pretty handy and I use it a lot. One of the problems I did have though was with programming the remote. While programming it with special IR codes, it would accept the program fine, but sometimes it would just forget the command. As if I didn't program that button at all. A small price to pay for such a well equipped unit.

The VR-410 is an outstanding performer in its price class, and could hold its own in higher price class's I am sure. It is full of features, and has plenty of performance for your home theater needs.

Recommended
Yes

SinisterProbeGt
12-05-2003, 08:58 AM
To the top.....

SinisterProbeGt
12-05-2003, 08:11 PM
TTT

SinisterProbeGt
12-07-2003, 02:12 PM
TtT

SinisterProbeGt
12-10-2003, 05:39 PM
TTT

Hilmy
03-11-2004, 09:19 AM
hi

tell me more about your reciever like the power output and upto how many speakers does it support... 5.1 or 6.1

How long have you had it and why are u selling it..?

can i get a better deal then u ve or do have speakers with the reciever for slightly more