PDA

View Full Version : Camping gear

Supa Dexta
03-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Looking to pick up a few things.. Hate to go back to tents after getting used to travel trailers, but the gf loves camping... :nut:

Sooo.. Thinking of something nice and easy to set up..

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442537451&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885943&bmUID=1269313260683#BVRRWidgetID

Don't want to buy a 18 person, 6 room, 2 storey tent from crappy tire that only lasts a couple times.

Also, I hate sleeping on air mattresses. What other options are out there for a mattress.. Something thick that I can roll up.. Got an 8 foot box on the truck, so lots of room to store it.

skandalouz_08
03-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Looks like a nice tent dude. I would say an air mattress is your best bet, but check up MEC, they have roll up foamies, you sleep lower down and are still fairly comfortable.

Supa Dexta
03-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Air mattresses don't agree with my back for some reason.. I'd be better off sleeping on the bare ground and wake up feeling better.. I've seen thick foam around, maybe I'll look for something like that.

And do they make 2 person sleeping bags?

jefferson2
03-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Just don't buy one of those super fancy down gore tex kevlar framed mummy shaped ones that are for -100C and zip 2 together, and you're good to go.

msommers
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
For a sleeping pad, check out Therma-rest at MEC.

ExtraSlow
03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
If you aren't carrying the tent, I'd highly recommend that wanderer 4 from MEC. I've been using it for about five years, and it's easy to set up, spacious, and fine in wind and rain. Also, it's not ridiculously heavy to carry in a pinch. I've backpacked with it. Fits two plus gear inside and out of the rain, or three or four if you like to be cozy. One thing to remember with tents is to take the number of people they say it'll fit and subtract one. So that Tarn 3 is good for two people max, unless it's you and a pair of Romanian twins you picked up on the drive.
As for sleeping bags, most rectangular bags will zip together. Apparently barrel shape also can work, but I think you'd find your feet a bit cramped.

Get yourself the thickest therm-a-rest type pad you can find, and the couples kit
MEC - Term-a-rest couples kit (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618212&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701679&bmUID=1269317810011)

Supa Dexta
03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
As hard as I try, I can't get on board with this idea.. So I'm going to talk her into something like this at the very least.

http://www.camperforsaleonline.com/Images/truckCamper.jpg

I don't want to be setting up and taking down a tent all the time....

ExtraSlow
03-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Slide-in Camper is nice. My family had one growing up.
Still, if she grew up tenting, it's a pretty big change.

If you want to try out the tenting lifestyle, you can rent pretty much all the gear from MEC or UofC for a weekend or two. Or rent the slide-in camper if you want.

spikerS
03-23-2010, 07:20 AM
slide in campers are nice, but if your truck is a 1500, it will get sketchy. If you are going to go that route, get your rear springs upgraded to at least the 3/4 ton set up first. you and your truck will thank you for that. also, get a belly bar. I know alot of the sales guys will say they are not needed, but I would not be caught dead without one.

Supa Dexta
03-23-2010, 07:37 AM
My truck is a 3/4...

I think it will be ok.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/7228/123mor.jpg

And we're driving back to NS, thru the US... So renting isn't an option.. And I dont think I want to tent the whole way.

spikerS
03-23-2010, 07:44 AM
lol, wow, you like to be rough on your truck!

Does it at least have the Duramax in it? The weight on that pintle has got to be in the neighbourhood of 5k lbs!

but yeah, as far as a slide in goes, you will be fine with a 2500, however for the price of a slide in, i would rather have a lot more room and just have a decent travel trailer and probably save some cash. those slide ins are expensive as fuck these days.

Supa Dexta
03-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Plan is to just use this thing a couple of weeks for the trip and turn around and sell it again.

And yeah, she's not shy of a load.. (Hey-o)

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/3072/bales1.jpg

Just gonna find a used one and then I don't have to worry about towing, and where we go...Not that I am really too worried of a 5th wheel. I took that gooseneck above across canada and right thru montreal rush hour.. But I'd rather a more laid back go where we want trip this time..

spikerS
03-23-2010, 07:59 AM
i would just get a small TT, like in the 17-19' range. the slide ins can be cramped inside, you will be greatful for the extra room in a TT.

As far as tenting goes, tenting is good if you are going to be staying at your destination for a couple days at least. otherwise the haslle of set up and tear down every night/ morning after a long day of driving is a real PITA. The ability to just pull off the road and jump straight into a bed is worth every penny.

A few years ago, i did a trip to Toronto, and tented along the way. after the second night of set up and take down, the wife and I just slept in the car and agreed we would never do that again.

Supa Dexta
03-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Yeah we'll see what I find for sale.. A 17-19' trailer will look odd behind a 23 foot truck. :rofl:

Less grief parking places too without a trailer. If you just want to stay in a parking lot over night.

ExtraSlow
03-23-2010, 10:17 AM
FYI, you can camp in any wal-mart parking lot. They encourage it, unlike pretty much every other retailer on the planet.

That's a handy option for rv-ers passing through urban areas.

spikerS
03-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
FYI, you can camp in any wal-mart parking lot. They encourage it, unlike pretty much every other retailer on the planet.

That's a handy option for rv-ers passing through urban areas.

yeah it is pretty handy, and I have done it a few times. Just make sure to clear it with the store manager first as some municipalities do not allow it, regardless of store policy. But yeah, they have no problem with it as long as you park at the back of the lot.

Mind you, this is not, set up camp for a few days, it is, lets stop here for the night and take off in the morning.

BlackArcher101
03-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I've done the tenting thing while going across country.

I'd do it again in a heart beat. What some think is a hassle ends up being routine after a few days, and really isn't a lot of work if you plan it right.

Besides, it ain't camping if you have a hard structure around you. If you do end up tenting, you may find that Tarn 3 tent from MEC a bit small for 2 people. However, with a truck that large I'd imagine most of your stuff would be kept inside the truck.

98type_r
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

And do they make 2 person sleeping bags?

if you can't find one, you could also buy 2 identical sleeping bags, one LH and the other RH and zip them together.

SilverGS
03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Saw this cot at Costco if you don't like air mattresses but obviously only a single if you want to double up with your GF.

Costco Cot (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10322634&search=camp&Mo=6&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=camp&Ntt=camp&No=5&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

I also have the 5 man tent from costco and never had an issue with it the past 3 years but I am not an avid camper. Great bang for your buck though.