PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stay at a Hostel before?

Godfuader
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
Heading to Montreal in 2 weeks, and need a place to stay. Normally I am the #1 advocate for priceline.com, but wanted to try something different. The wife is not travelling with me, so figured this would be the only time I can do this. Since I am travelling by myself, the hostel should fun, with other single travelers. It will be for 4 nights (M-F)

Anyone try these before? Recommended or just stay in proper hotel (Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton) ?

cmyden
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Your age would probably be an important consideration. Hostels are *generally* geared towards, say, the 26 and under crowd. But it would depend on your attitude and outlook on meeting new people, and tolerance for sleeping in a room with some guy who just won't stop snoring to the point where it drives you insane and you just have to stuff a goddamn sock in his mouth to shut the bastard up. Oh and which hostel you were considering.

thrasher22
03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Its rare I stay in anything but a hostel. I can't justify spending $80 a night just for a place to sleep.

They're not glamorous, but you have to stay in one at least once. Many also offer private or double rooms if you're worried about sleeping in bunk beds in a room with 8 other dudes.

As a rule of thumb, I usually find the smaller the hostel, the cleaner and friendlier. If you're going to stay in a large one, HI (hosteling international) Hostels are the way to go.

Biggest recommendation, earplugs.

Hi-Psi
03-23-2010, 12:19 AM
In all my years of travelling, I've stayed at hundreds of hostels and I have yet to run into the snoring problem. I've heard of the odd time when someone has complained about someone in another room but I personally have never run into it.

Hostels are great and even though I like a private room the odd time, hostels are still my favorite places to stay at night.

Jetta-2.0
03-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi
In all my years of travelling, I've stayed at hundreds of hostels and I have yet to run into the snoring problem. I've heard of the odd time when someone has complained about someone in another room but I personally have never run into it.

Hostels are great and even though I like a private room the odd time, hostels are still my favorite places to stay at night.

Maybe your that guy that snores :rofl: :rofl: when i hear or see the name hostels i remember that movie hostel lol

Dumbass17
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
ya i think age plays a big thing.

i just recently went to edmonton to meet up with some friends from BC and we all shared a room in a hostel. it was great. i think for two nights we each paid $20.

bubbley
03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Do alot of chix stay at these things?

calgarygts
03-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
Do alot of chix stay at these things?

sometimes. Luck of the draw in my experience.

Kloubek
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
I stayed at one once in my trip to Slovakia. The girls were totally easy; my friend and I took a couple of total hotties back to the hostel any had our way. But then things got weird... I started hearing what sounded like screams from down the hall, and noticed what looked like blood spatter beside the bed. I got the hell out of there; it was creepy as hell.

When we were leaving, a couple of dudes big dudes in black started following us. We took off, and never looked back.

Still, I'm considering going back because DAMN those chicks were hot.

cmyden
03-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Hi-Psi

Wow, hundreds of hostel stays without ever hearing anyone snore? You are either some sort of statistical anomaly or a really deep sleeper! I've had some really bad ones, where it sounded like a chainsaw was starting up.

bspot
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
I love the ones where each dorm has it's bathroom right in your room.

Go in, drop a giant duke, come out and find the new hot girl staying in your room waiting to use the bathroom. :rofl:

Mar
03-23-2010, 12:01 PM
When I stay in hostels I make sure to do 3 things:
1. Don't pack anything too big to take into bed with you.
2. Take your own pillow.
3. Drink enough alcohol before going to bed that nothing wakes you up through the night.

shakalaka
03-23-2010, 12:16 PM
I stayed at a Hostel in Paris. It was an another friend, but it was a 3 bed room, so they sent another chick there as well. And she would change, shower, sleep in her thong and what not right there.

Needless to say I wasn't complaining especially the last night when we both got drunk (it was Halloween) and had 'fun', while my friend was still downstairs drinking. lol Her fight back to Spain was at 4 or something in the morning the next day and mine later in the afternoon. I didn't even need to think of any excuses to get her outta the room, she was gone at 4. Haha:D

But considering that you have a wife, I doubt this would help you in making your decision. lol

Godfuader
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
I see the age thing is a factor. Funny thing is that I am travelling on my 30th b-day! I don't mind younger people, but cant stand the 18-20 immature kids. Going the first week of April should mean that most of the young'uns aren't travelling.

Im just using Hostels.com (http://www.hostels.com/findabed.php?OrderBy=Rating) as my guide and looking at the ones with 90%+ ratings. The main reason to stay in the hostel would be to primarily go chillin, sightseeing, partying, etc. with other people. I would be scared of hostels in Europe, especially after the movie, but in Downtown Montreal, it should be fine.

kaput
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM

UndrgroundRider
03-23-2010, 04:47 PM
I've stayed in a few hostels before. I'm not a huge fan. It's worth it to try it at least once, but after that draw your own conclusions.

I find it's hit or miss the type of people you meet and generally the social aspect doesn't make up for the inconvenience. I like the privacy of my own room, where I can leave my bags for the day while I'm out. Unfortunately I can't travel without my laptop, and I have no intention of hauling it around all day. It's also nice to be able to take a nap during the day, to help with the jet lag.

I suppose the biggest factor is really how comfortable you want to be on your vacation. Call me crazy, but I prefer to relax. It's hard to unwind after spending all day fighting crowds of tourists if you have to go back to shared accommodations, possibly with people you can't stand. If the hippie drum circles start up you know you're in for a long night. :facepalm:

Other amenities of hotels are nice too, like pools, steam rooms, fitness centres, internet access, et cetera.

Godfuader
03-24-2010, 12:50 PM
I like hotels because of the ease. I have my own space and free to do whatever. The other amenities like a gym would be nice, but not crucial. Hostels would be something new to try out. Only concern is that I may be too old to enjoy staying up all hours, sharing amenities, worrying about my stuff. Speaking of which, I have a couple important meetings and wont be able to carry my laptop/cam with me all times. Do they offer lockers for valuables? Do I have to bike-lock my luggage at night?

Feruk
03-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Hostels are fantastic for meeting people too. I've stayed in prolly two dozen or more, including one in Montreal (that I would not recommend). As long as they're central, I prefer them to a hotel.

Integra10
03-24-2010, 02:16 PM
This is a little off topic but I just moved here from Montreal. Be sure to eat at Lafleur's and Schwartz's. Also there is some awesome pubs on Bishop & St. Catherine street downtown. They're little Irish pubs and a real good atmosphere.

Hi-Psi
03-25-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by cmyden

Wow, hundreds of hostel stays without ever hearing anyone snore? You are either some sort of statistical anomaly or a really deep sleeper! I've had some really bad ones, where it sounded like a chainsaw was starting up.

I've has maybe one or two nights where someone was slightly snoring but other than that, yea I guess I've been pretty lucky. But even still, I've only heard a couple people complaining about someone snoring in their room in all my hostel stays so I don't know, personally I wouldn't worry too much about people snoring.

Hi-Psi
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I stayed at one once in my trip to Slovakia. The girls were totally easy; my friend and I took a couple of total hotties back to the hostel any had our way. But then things got weird... I started hearing what sounded like screams from down the hall, and noticed what looked like blood spatter beside the bed. I got the hell out of there; it was creepy as hell.

When we were leaving, a couple of dudes big dudes in black started following us. We took off, and never looked back.

Still, I'm considering going back because DAMN those chicks were hot.

You sound like you've been watching too many scary movies. I really hope people don't take your post seriously...

Godfuader
03-31-2010, 10:49 PM
So, looks like Im booking tomorrow. This place has a 90% + rating on 3 different sites. Seems like a fun place. They only ask for a 10% deposit which is fine, but what if I dont like the place after night 1...can I move out?

http://hostelmontrealcentral.com/wordpress/

D. Dub
04-01-2010, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hi-Psi

Hostels are great and even though I like a private room the odd time, hostels are still my favorite places to stay at night. [/QUOTE

Yup me too in my younger years.