PDA

View Full Version : A+ Certification? How? Which book?

vtec96
03-22-2010, 10:31 PM
My friend wanna get A+ Certification but there are lots of book available..
Anyone knows which one is the best? or is there any online courses?
He has been working on computers for more than 20 years so he doesn't wanna go to any classes...

Thanks guys!

DeeK
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
I have my A+ Certification, it's the most useless thing ever.

If he already knows his stuff, then he can just challenge the test for $35. I'm not sure where anymore, but a few calls or internet searches should do the trick.

FYI. 99% of the test is based on computer systems from 1980. It's kind of a waste of time as nothing is relevant anymore.

dragonone
03-22-2010, 10:41 PM
just torrent the most recent, relevant one online. there shouldn't be too many new ones to pick from. try to hit the library as well.

u friend knows that it takes two exams to get A+ certified now right? such a rip-off

i gotta say the stuff they test u on is pretty common-sense. the only thing to note is to memorize few specifications like how pins in a vga cable etc.

dragonone
03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
FYI. 99% of the test is based on computer systems from 1980. It's kind of a waste of time as nothing is relevant anymore.

this wasn't the case in my exam, or materials from last year. and they just changed it again this year i believe. i mean it's probably not going to ask you what nm the i7s are made to, but i remember vaguely there was ddr2, dvi cables... u gotta check

i agree tho, it's pretty useless and i wouldn't take it unless a job requires u to do so. even better if u get a discount or ur job pays for it.

kamatayan
03-23-2010, 04:20 AM
^^ agree

Originally posted by dragonone

u friend knows that it takes two exams to get A+ certified now right? such a rip-off

AFAIK, It's always been two separate exams.
correct me if I'm wrong.

Vagabond142
03-23-2010, 06:47 AM
I have my A+ Certification... the best thing really is to look for practice exams online, and also know a bit about deskside support, as they are pushing that a little more in the tests (I took mine in winter 2008 o_O)

DeeK
03-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by dragonone

this wasn't the case in my exam, or materials from last year. and they just changed it again this year i believe. i mean it's probably not going to ask you what nm the i7s are made to, but i remember vaguely there was ddr2, dvi cables... u gotta check

i agree tho, it's pretty useless and i wouldn't take it unless a job requires u to do so. even better if u get a discount or ur job pays for it.

Good to know they have changed it. I did it a few years back and it was ridiculous. Still though, don't bother unless your job requires it. Totally agreed.

SmAcKpOo
03-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Honestly, any IT program has A+ cert type classes. I may not be A+ certified but I put it on my resume as my first year of Network Management was A+ material.