PDA

View Full Version : Worst day ever...

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
So I got a 2000 Eclipse GT on late Saturday, and couldn't drive it till today due to insurance places being closed. So I waited all weekend to take my baby for a spin, finally get it insured and registered today. And guess what happens, I crashed it... That's right I had 10 whole minutes on the road!

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs480.snc3/26306_10150152953780521_844290520_11438984_5536983_n.jpg

It's sad when the only picture you get to take of your car is when it's being towed away

Zephyr
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
How did you crash it?

thinmyster
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
what happened?

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I was taking a left turn on a solid green, and because behind the lights is a hill I didn't see the guy and he full on hits me. Cops showed no mercy either... Got a $115 unsafe left turn ticket

slick2404
03-23-2010, 12:36 AM
yup....that sucks.

Zephyr
03-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by leaderofall
I was taking a left turn on a solid green, and because behind the lights is a hill I didn't see the guy and he full on hits me. Cops showed no mercy either... Got a $115 unsafe left turn ticket

Sounds like you need a user name change to Leaderoffail

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Sounds like you need a user name change to Leaderoffail

Pretty much... I know it's my fault but fuck how much worse could this be. Now I gotta deal with the insurance company tomorrow after being with them for 1 day.

slinkie
03-23-2010, 12:43 AM
too ez

4lti
03-23-2010, 12:44 AM
Dam, thats actually terrible luck.
I guess next time check them hills better lol.

Im gonna hope you bought that payed in cash, not on payments at a dealership.

Jetta-2.0
03-23-2010, 12:45 AM
was u in such a rush? and if that left turn is a blind spot complain about it sue the city

BenC
03-23-2010, 01:09 AM
I got hit in my subaru today too. Got rear ended. Fuck

banned3x
03-23-2010, 01:20 AM
wow sucks to hear these kinds of stories i hope things get better in the future

2Valve0
03-23-2010, 01:44 AM
I've had worse days in my life .
This was your fault and completely preventable. Drive with more care

banned3x
03-23-2010, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
I've had worse days in my life .

care to elaborate to make him feel better?

2Valve0
03-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by banned3x

care to elaborate to make him feel better?

I would but it would get too personal and heartfelt.

If the worst day of your life is getting in a little front end collision causing a few thousand dollars worth of damage you have had a pretty easy life. Its good you've experienced something to make you be a little more cautious while driving IMO

infected
03-23-2010, 02:47 AM
I guess that's kinda true...
It's still shitty luck though. Sorry to hear man.

Dilmah
03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like you realise it's your fault and you're taking responsibility for your own actions. I hope you have insurance that will cover your car. I give you thumbs up and you have earned my respect for doing what's right by waiting until you had the proper insurance and registration before driving. All you can do now is move on.:thumbsup:

moka989
03-23-2010, 07:21 AM
Anderson and elbow south, same thing happened to my friend in a new to him supra mk3 turbo, sucked but 1 year later it doesbt afeect anything but his insuro

Aleks
03-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by moka989
Anderson and elbow south, same thing happened to my friend in a new to him supra mk3 turbo, sucked but 1 year later it doesbt afeect anything but his insuro

I've seen some crazy collisions at that interesection over the years. That green yield should be taken away IMO.

Cos
03-23-2010, 07:35 AM
yeah in those situations the cop usually give you the lower of the possible tickets. I was told once that if there was is an accident they are called out to, someone has to get a ticket for something.

davesparky6
03-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Could have been worse... By the sound of it you could have had a "driving with undue care and atttention" ticket. Those are 6 demerits or something.:dunno:

Kona9
03-23-2010, 07:56 AM
As I feel bad for the OP, I have to say that this has nothing to do with luck as some of you are typing. This situation was completely avoidable, therefore luck had no play. If the poles the street lights were on broke on it's own and fell on your car, then that could be crap luck.

It is nice to see someone post one of their unfortunate situations and own up to it being their own mistake. Kudos to the OP for that.

And to that Jetta Kid...are you an American? You can't just up and sue the city because you could have paid more attention. Your advice is fail, much like your grammar.

Dumbass17
03-23-2010, 10:14 AM
LOL

scat19
03-23-2010, 10:18 AM
shitty

kwjent
03-23-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm not trying to a prick, but you can see people coming down that hill a mile away, now granted when the weather conditions are poor on that hill by Highburry it does suck. Where you in a rush? Must of just been excited going for a rip.

That sucks man. sorry to hear.

Kloubek
03-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Shitty deal, but aren't you relieved you waited to take it out until you had insurance? Imagine the shit you would be in if you had that accident without it.

Canmorite
03-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Jetta-2.0
was u in such a rush? and if that left turn is a blind spot complain about it sue the city

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3748/grammar.jpg

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
The worst part is I won't be driving for at least a year, I owe my dad 4 grand now for a 10 minute joy ride... I didn't even have a chance to go over 60 in it =( So I gotta pay him back before I can even think of buying a new car, and then It's not going to be possible for me to find a cheap insurance after this.

BigShow
03-23-2010, 11:15 AM
That sucks, I can see how you would be excited and not paying proper attention or whatever.

Shitty deal, but aren't you relieved you waited to take it out until you had insurance? Imagine the shit you would be in if you had that accident without it.

:werd: Hope it works out for you!

mekeni
03-23-2010, 11:21 AM
at least you are not hurt... now drive carefully

v2kai
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
that sucks. at fault or not i can appreciate how you feel. when my car is out of the game from breaking down or when I got rear ended, I seriously go through withdrawal. At least you didnt have a chance to get to addicted to it.

On a side note maybe its time to invest in some racing games and a nice steering wheel and pedal combo for some vids to hold you over til you get your next car. :dunno:

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
at least you are not hurt... now drive carefully

See that's the thing I was trying to drive careful... But I think that's what cause it. I was to worried about driving carefully I wasn't paying complete attention to what was actually happening.

When I drove like a jackass in my old probe I was completely fine.

Mar
03-23-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't believe it. I don't know of a single intersection in Calgary where you can't see the traffic coming.

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I don't believe it. I don't know of a single intersection in Calgary where you can't see the traffic coming.

It's not 100% blind, but like I just said without complete attention it's not hard to miss somebody there. But I'm not trying to get out of it... It's my fault I know that and theirs nothing I can do about it. Now I'm stuck with a trashed car and no money...

On a side note... Anyone need 2000 eclipse gt parts? lol, I could use a bus pass =S

Mar
03-23-2010, 12:12 PM

It's not 100% blind, but like I just said without complete attention it's not hard to miss somebody there. But I'm not trying to get out of it... It's my fault I know that and theirs nothing I can do about it. Now I'm stuck with a trashed car and no money...

On a side note... Anyone need 2000 eclipse gt parts? lol, I could use a bus pass =S Didn't you have insurance? Get the car fixed and presto, you have a car.

bspot
03-23-2010, 12:14 PM
Aw man. I feel bad for you. How old are you? The insurance thing could be a problem for a while.

One day it'll be a distant memory and a good story...

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Didn't you have insurance? Get the car fixed and presto, you have a car.

I just had liability insurance

Aw man. I feel bad for you. How old are you? The insurance thing could be a problem for a while.

I'm 18, The insurance is going to be terrible now

supe
03-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Yeah I'll share my worst day ever if it helps in the least bit.

I had a full day of university ahead of me, me and my sister car pool in her car, my class was ahead of hers so she had to wake up early. She bites my head off trying to get her out of bed, so finally she tells me to leave without her.

Me being already late pay extra to park in mac-hall. Sure enough I lock the keys in the car RUNNING. So I stumble into a friend and says hes willing to drive me across the city to get keys but have to go do some errands with him, fine.

So after I wasted the whole day, return to the car, I drive to work, where immediately I get laid off, fired, whatever you call it.

So now I just want to go spend my last pay cheque hopefully making myself feel better. Sure enough I blindly follow a truck through a left turn and BAM... t-boned.

dezmarez
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM

I just had liability insurance

I'm 18, The insurance is going to be terrible now

oh man!!

that actually is brutal....

banned3x
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Op how old are you? I guessing you only have liability. So your fixing the eclipse after you pay your dad? How long have you had your licsense?
I hope things work out

Zero102
03-23-2010, 02:14 PM

See that's the thing I was trying to drive careful... But I think that's what cause it. I was to worried about driving carefully I wasn't paying complete attention to what was actually happening.

When I drove like a jackass in my old probe I was completely fine.

By being careful you weren't aware of what was happening around you?... Just how exactly were you trying to drive carefully if you have no idea what was happening around you?...

Hopefully the people you hit are okay, and you learn your lesson before you hurt more innocent people with your careless driving.

kaput
03-23-2010, 02:26 PM

natejj
03-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Crap. That sucks. Thats the risk you take with buying a $10k and not getting collision though. I draw the line at $5k. It coulda been worse? Do your best to keep this off your record, especially in Alberta. Get a second job if you have to, to pay for anyone elses repairs, or you will pay for it for the next 7 years. Also, this is why my first car was a $500 sundance.

speedog
03-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Sounds like the OP and any others involved in this accident are OK. Was the accident the result of being over careful - don't think so. And driving like a jackass in his old probe - was probably pure luck that he wasn't in an accident with that car although I see it's being parted out on beyond with front end damage.

Nah, this is just a case of being young, having a nice and new to him car and way too much testosterone floating around. Used to be a young male driver and know that I took risks back then that I don't now. Yeah, I thought I was careful too when I was 18, but I also took many huge ass risks then and came out lucky. Only one at fault accident when I was young and I can now say I was at fault - at the time though, I honestly believed that the other driver was at fault, wasn't aware of what was going on around them while in reality, I was the un-careful driver.

30 years later and the number of risks I take when driving is minimal and am for certain way more careful now - saving that two or ten or sixty seconds by waiting that extra little bit at an intersection or by not speeding excessively now serves me well. Have also got an 18 year old on the road now who sometimes tells me of some of the stuff he does and I kindly remind him who's vehicles and under who's insurance he's driving. Can't stop him from being 18, but hopefully he will get to his mid-late twenties without being caught doing too many dumb things.

OP, yeah it sucks but it is what it is. You're an 18 year old single male and you are the poster boy for all those car insurance company and police force statistics. In closing, just maybe you'll take a bit away from this latest incident that will serve you well in the future. Cheers.

Speed_69
03-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by natejj
Crap. That sucks. Thats the risk you take with buying a $10k and not getting collision though. I draw the line at $5k. It coulda been worse? Do your best to keep this off your record, especially in Alberta. Get a second job if you have to, to pay for anyone elses repairs, or you will pay for it for the next 7 years. Also, this is why my first car was a $500 sundance.
:werd: Should've definitely purchased collision and comprehensive coverage for a vehicle like that. I know it's tough to afford at your age but it's better off paying an extra couple hundred each month for getting a loss like this covered rather then being 10g's down now or whatever you paid for it. Back in the day when I was a student, i had a 98 civic which was only worth like 8g's and carried physical damage coverage for the 3 years I owned it. I was involved in an accident just like yours too (unsafe left turn) and luckily I got my car repaired. You're definitely going to want to drive a cheap car for the next few years because your insurance rates are going to skyrocket since you're only 18. I'm assuming you're being grid rated by your insurance company so your third party liability premiums are going up by at least 50% next year.

el_fefes
03-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3748/grammar.jpg

ROFL!!!:rofl: :rofl:

leaderofall
03-23-2010, 10:59 PM
So today I saw the eclipse, the engine still runs perfectly fine! But body damage is massive I'd pretty much have to replace he whole front end. Do you guys this it's worth the time it would take to repair? Of course I'd do it all myself cause a body shop would cost a fortune. I don't know much about repairing cars but I got a lot of friends willing to help. Should I go for it?

And for the guy talking about parting out the probe, that was me being a complete idiot in a parking lot, no people or cars were involved in that lol just pure stupidity and a e-break ;) lol.

Disoblige
03-23-2010, 11:02 PM
So today I saw the eclipse, the engine still runs perfectly fine! But body damage is massive I'd pretty much have to replace he whole front end. Do you guys this it's worth the time it would take to repair? Of course I'd do it all myself cause a body shop would cost a fortune. I don't know much about repairing cars but I got a lot of friends willing to help. Should I go for it?

Any frame damage? You'd probably have to take it somewhere to find out if you're not sure.

Takamine
03-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Sounds like the OP and any others involved in this accident are OK. Was the accident the result of being over careful - don't think so. And driving like a jackass in his old probe - was probably pure luck that he wasn't in an accident with that car although I see it's being parted out on beyond with front end damage.

Nah, this is just a case of being young, having a nice and new to him car and way too much testosterone floating around. Used to be a young male driver and know that I took risks back then that I don't now. Yeah, I thought I was careful too when I was 18, but I also took many huge ass risks then and came out lucky. Only one at fault accident when I was young and I can now say I was at fault - at the time though, I honestly believed that the other driver was at fault, wasn't aware of what was going on around them while in reality, I was the un-careful driver.

30 years later and the number of risks I take when driving is minimal and am for certain way more careful now - saving that two or ten or sixty seconds by waiting that extra little bit at an intersection or by not speeding excessively now serves me well. Have also got an 18 year old on the road now who sometimes tells me of some of the stuff he does and I kindly remind him who's vehicles and under who's insurance he's driving. Can't stop him from being 18, but hopefully he will get to his mid-late twenties without being caught doing too many dumb things.

OP, yeah it sucks but it is what it is. You're an 18 year old single male and you are the poster boy for all those car insurance company and police force statistics. In closing, just maybe you'll take a bit away from this latest incident that will serve you well in the future. Cheers.

Words of wisdom :thumbsup:

Shlade
03-24-2010, 12:00 AM
errr theres probably some frame damage, your not going to be able to fix that yourself...

Save up the money and get the entire car fixed properly, Unless you have the skills to do this yourself, Give er Shit ;)

Qtec
03-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I almost hit a cop with the unsafe left turn, luckily he let me off ...wish you luck tho!

403Gemini
03-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Mar

162nd, if you're headed eastbound and want to make a left hand turn on Shawinigan Drive it can get a bit sketchy sometimes. Westbound is up a hill, a small curve, 3 lanes wide (including turning lane at intersection) and there are trees along the median blocking the view (along with the cars in the turning lane...) to see if traffic is clear. I usually wait for it to be 110% clear before i go there, I've seen far too many close accidents there.

speedog
03-24-2010, 09:07 AM
The problem at this intersection (162nd and Shawinigan Dr) is if you're turning left as 403Gemini posted, is the people coming eastbound that are going considerably faster then the posted 60kph speed limit. Excessive speeding anywhere in the city will make left turns iffy at many intersections. Another example would be making a left turn onto northbound 10 Street NW with speeders going westbound on 16th Avenue NW - got to have your wits about you there.

bignerd
03-24-2010, 08:14 PM
If you can't afford to crash it get collision, if you can't afford the collision, get a different car.