PDA

View Full Version : In Transit Insurance

Unknown303
03-24-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm selling my truck tomorrow and the buyer is flying in from Kelowna to drive it back to BC. We are wondering what the different options are for insuring the vehicle for the drive? I was considering getting that taken care of in the morning so he can just hand over the cash and head on his way.

Would there be any issues with me getting the temporary insurance or is this something that they will have to take care of?

Zero102
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
That is simply not possible:
1) I am not aware of any insurance companies that offer temporary insurance unless you have an existing policy with them
2) The BUYER has to provide insurance for their own vehicle (I assume in your first sentence you mean "...and the BUYER is flying in from Kelowna..."

Basically he has to call ICBC and find out how to insure the vehicle for himself. He should know this already.

Unknown303
03-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Haha yeah I changed it to buyer.

I'll let him know that it has to be taken care of on his end. If anyone else can give me anymore information that would be great.

4DoorGTZ
03-24-2010, 04:07 PM
ICBC I'm sure has their own rules/policies and if the guy is looking for a vehicle out of BC without knowing what he has to do he's a moron.

My (non gov't run monopoly) simply told me to carry my pink slip from my existing policy, they would add a note with the vin# of the car I was driving back from the states, and would cover me for 10days after the purchase of any car.

Besides insurance you're buyer "should" also get a temp in transit registration wich is just a printed out piece of paper to stick in the window. But he will need the completed bill of sale and proof of insurance <------- at the registry office.

sevewone
03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
As you probably already know, hes going to have to get an OOP that has been done in B.C for him to get your truck insured in his name. As for your In-Transit question, ICBC does have In-Transit stickers available, but it is a pretty rediculous rate, and the way im gunna tell you how to do it is much less painless.
First off, His best bet is to bring an ICBC bill of sale with him, and have you guys fill it out. ICBC does give you a 3 day grace period when transfering vehicles, so driving back west should be fine. Ive been pulled over twice transfering vehicles (in BC, and Calgary), and as long as you have as much documentation with you, cops dont mind. After you get the ICBC bill of sale filled out, his best bet would be to get an OOP in Golden (closest town that performs OOP's from Calgary). From their on he will just need to go to the ICBC in Golden and get the vehicle switched over to his name. Word of advice though, Fill out as many peices of documentation showing that you are selling the vehicle to him.

This is all based on the fact that he CURRENTLY has an insured vehicle in BC, and is willing to switch insurance from his old vehicle to his new truck. They are huge dicks when it comes to faxing signatures if you guys forgot to sign something, so get it all done in person.

sevewone
03-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
ICBC I'm sure has their own rules/policies and if the guy is looking for a vehicle out of BC without knowing what he has to do he's a moron.

How is he a moron? It's quite the process.. and im sure tons of people in BC would have no idea how to do it either .:dunno:

Wrinkly
03-24-2010, 07:46 PM
I did this last June in reverse. I bought a car from BC and drove it back to Alberta.

I called my insurance agent - gave them the VIN and all the usual details they ask for.

They faxed me a pink slip to show I had valid insurance.

I went to AMA and got an in transit registration, which as stated above, is a piece of paper which is attached to the front windshield. Interestingly enough, I got conflicting information from two different registries and then from different staff members from the AMA registry. They didn't seem too sure how it should be handled :dunno:

Flew to BC, picked up the car and drove it home.

The in transit registration though, is only valid for the trip home, straight to registry no detours or multi-trips. They made that quite clear and told me I could get done for driving an unregistered vehicle on the highway.

As BC has combined insurance & registration, it may be different rules. (and in my case it was a brand new vehicle, so I didn't need the OOP inspection either).

This may help:
http://www.icbc.com/cs/Satellite?c=ICBC_FAQ_C&cid=1225925939624&pagename=ICBC%2FICBC_FAQ_C%2Ficbc_FAQQuestion&proxied=true#1225925939624

Unknown303
03-24-2010, 10:40 PM
The big thing which makes this whole thing kind of amusing is that the person paying is out of Edmonton, and the person coming from BC is actually not the person who will eventually be the owner, he's simply coming to Calgary to drive it back.

This is why it's seems rather complicated.

Zero102
03-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a scam at all. I'd request to be paid in cash if I were you...

Wrinkly
03-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Well - sounds odd at the very least. :dunno:

But whatever; the point is it isn't your problem. The onus is on him to have the vehicle registered/insured and legal to be on the road in both provinces once he's bought it. So long as you have proof of the sale (and the money safely in your hands, of course). You 'should' be ok.

I wonder if there's more to this, though.....

Unknown303
03-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I've made it clear that payment has to be certified cheque and I'll also be calling their bank to verify that it's authentic.

Beyond that I don't know what else to really watch out for, I've talked to both people that will be here today and nothing from what I can tell so far seems out of the ordinary. Not like the awesome Nigerian scammer I received an email from last night :rofl:

Now that they are going to be taking care of the insurance and registration for transit all that I really have to take care of is making sure that the payment is authentic.

Zero102
03-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
nothing from what I can tell so far seems out of the ordinary

The guy is flying out from another province to buy a truck he has never seen and is having a friend in edmonton pay you for it. He has no idea how to insure a vehicle he is buying (which is odd, because likely he has had past vehicles) and nothing seems out of the ordinary?

Let us know how it turns out, but IMO this sounds bad.

Unknown303
03-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I understand the circumstances do seem strange. And I'm making an effort to make sure I have everything I need and that payment is secure before anything happens with the truck.

Neil4Speed
03-25-2010, 10:01 AM
If your accepting Certified Cheque, you should be safe if you verify at the bank before the deal.

Regarding your inital question, I did exactly what Wrinkley did without any problems when bringing my car up from California

sputnik
03-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I've made it clear that payment has to be certified cheque and I'll also be calling their bank to verify that it's authentic.

Calling a bank will not help in ensuring the certified cheque isn't forged.

If the person banks with a bigger bank I would go to the bank with him and have him get a bank draft or cash.

Certified cheques are not safe anymore.

Wrinkly
03-25-2010, 11:00 AM
Tell the buyer it's conditional on you going to the bank together with the cheque before you release the vehicle. If he hesitates, you have your answer.

It does seem 'not quite right' somehow.

But these days buying a vehicle sight unseen is becoming more common. I don't think I'd do it with a used one, though....

Unknown303
03-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Well in the end they paid me in cash. It took a long long time to count it all...

Kind of have this strange feeling that my truck just became a drug mule.

Zero102
03-26-2010, 11:03 AM
It is always best not to ask about what will happen to your vehicle when somebody buys it. 99% of the time it is severely disappointing, even if they lie to make you feel better.

Cos
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM

I know it did..... or it will be hauling lumber for a grow house.

Wrinkly
03-26-2010, 01:18 PM
Well in the end they paid me in cash. It took a long long time to count it all...

In that case - give it a few days/week and check with the registry that it's been transferred :rofl:

Unknown303
03-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I know it did..... or it will be hauling lumber for a grow house.

I know. You were one of the buyers. And you offered me 5k and a big bag of green. You are a bad man.