PDA

View Full Version : Fast and the Furious and the Cops

david394
12-04-2003, 08:41 PM
I just wanted to ask everyone here since both movies have been out, how bad have the cops been harassing everybody else. It's just funny that now after so many years, NOW the cops want to crack down on everybody. During the summer , some kid was driving a C5 vette(16) and after seeing the 2nd movie decided to drag race somebody. Of course he races and ends up killing himself(don't wish that on anybody). Of course when the news gets a hold of it, guess what they blame? Yet it was the dad, who's a cop that hands him the kids. Anyone else remember when a few years ago that was almost a nightly thing to see? Where I live at, there are plenty of back roads where people use to race twice a week. The cops would actually let it run till about 2am and then shut it down. Anyone notice how almost everybody is saying how the hot new thing for car enthusiasts is to drag race. How many decades has that been going on. It's nothing new. I don't race on the streets at all like I used to, It's too risky and I can do to the strip. But it just seems like the media is being just too damn unfair. Just because we enthusiasts build up our cars to run hard when you can, and look good when your'e showing off does'nt make you automatically a street racer. When someone dies it's not a good thing at all, but if you ask me when these kids are killing each other street racing, don't blame a movie or the whole industry. But the parents who are buying the parts. It's funny when the parents or cops blame a movie or the industry, but one question I'd ask them is who is buying the parts. Anyone know kids in school who can pay $3g for a turbo, $700 for an exhaust system? I would'nt call anyone on this site a reckless street racer, just a car enthusiasts.

Anyone had similar problems where live with either the news or cops giving you a bad rap? Post them.

redbaron303
12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
but if you ask me when these kids are killing each other street racing, don't blame a movie or the whole industry. But the parents who are buying the parts. It's funny when the parents or cops blame a movie or the industry, but one question I'd ask them is who is buying the parts.

That's almost true. The ppl doing the racing regardless as to whos paying for their cars are still making that choice. We need better driver training that incorporates the risks of doing "stupid" things like street racing.

I've been to plenty to watch, I won't run my car against anyone on the street it's not worth it. But it's almost hypocritical to say that because everyone of us has probably done a light to light in our time.

I think shit like this can be prevented, I also think shit like this shouldn't be blammed on a movie or an industry. It's the ppl behind the wheel causing the problems.

:whipped:

hooligan
12-04-2003, 08:46 PM
dude, I don't get what your argueing, go buy the book "how to write good essays"

I'm in high school and i paid for all my mods. did all the work too.

fast95pony
12-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Since we've had snow on the ground since the beginning of October, right now everyone is just trying to get to school/work with their ride still in one piece !! :eek:

I've had no problems in the Focus,but then again I'm an old fart !! :D

EK 2.0
12-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Yes, I am sure we all have done a stop light to stop light in our day...I mean come on that is Human Nature...I mean yes, I do attend the races, and in my time, have made a few runs as well...And you see all sorts of people down there, Import, Domestic, Young, and Old...In the past few years, Race City has given us a safe venue in which to "live our lives a 1/4 mile at a time"...and yes, socitey has given us movies like F n' F, and 2F2F...as well as independent flims, and ALL those really cool drifting DVD's right??....

But this is what it comes down to...Responsibility...Yes, some parents buy the rides and ALL the mods, yes, some of us work out tushies off for the rides and the mods...But it is up to each and every one of us, ourselves to wake up and say..."Hey yes I can drive like an enthusiast, but 4:30 in Downton is NOT the place to do it"...or, when challenged by punk kids, AND adults who wanna "burn rubber"...to back off and say "Meet me at the track"...

We cannot blame Paul Walker, or the media...its ourselves who bring in all the attention...and it is up to us to change the way things are...Whether its being hassled by the po po cause of our underglow and fartcans...or cause we lined up at that stoplight and revved so that our BOV's vented...

Its up to us...:dunno:

Just my $.02

GTS Jeff
12-05-2003, 12:10 AM
:english:

powerslave
12-05-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

All of the above posts made sense... What type of English do you wish them to speak?

rice_eater
12-05-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

5.9 R/T
12-05-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by david394
I just wanted to ask everyone here since both movies have been out, how bad have the cops been harassing everybody else. It's just funny that now after so many years, NOW the cops want to crack down on everybody. During the summer , some kid was driving a C5 vette(16) and after seeing the 2nd movie decided to drag race somebody. Of course he races and ends up killing himself(don't wish that on anybody). Of course when the news gets a hold of it, guess what they blame? Yet it was the dad, who's a cop that hands him the kids. Anyone else remember when a few years ago that was almost a nightly thing to see? Where I live at, there are plenty of back roads where people use to race twice a week. The cops would actually let it run till about 2am and then shut it down. Anyone notice how almost everybody is saying how the hot new thing for car enthusiasts is to drag race. How many decades has that been going on. It's nothing new. I don't race on the streets at all like I used to, It's too risky and I can do to the strip. But it just seems like the media is being just too damn unfair. Just because we enthusiasts build up our cars to run hard when you can, and look good when your'e showing off does'nt make you automatically a street racer. When someone dies it's not a good thing at all, but if you ask me when these kids are killing each other street racing, don't blame a movie or the whole industry. But the parents who are buying the parts. It's funny when the parents or cops blame a movie or the industry, but one question I'd ask them is who is buying the parts. Anyone know kids in school who can pay $3g for a turbo, $700 for an exhaust system? I would'nt call anyone on this site a reckless street racer, just a car enthusiasts.

Anyone had similar problems where live with either the news or cops giving you a bad rap? Post them.

Blah blah. We've heard it all before, cops are out to get us yada yada yada. But thanks for posting anyways. :repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17473

:whocares:

GTS Jeff
12-05-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by powerslave

All of the above posts made sense... What type of English do you wish them to speak? the kind of english that allows one to pass high school english so that one may enter post secondary education and learn that altezzas arent cool. :thumbsup:

DeSi
12-05-2003, 09:11 AM
we'll cops have to crack down on it cuz after teh movies kids think that "racing" there moms ricer on deerfoot is the cool thing to do. And the movies made it more of a public issue, if ya know what im sayin.

legereandrew4
12-05-2003, 11:04 AM
Anyone know kids in school who can pay $3g for a turbo, $700 for an exhaust system? I would'nt call anyone on this site a reckless street racer, just a car enthusiasts.

Thats not that much money these days... Im in grade 11, parents give me no money, I work part time, and thats easy as hell to afford... just though i would say that... but $3700 isnt alot of money these days, prices are higher then they used to be, and pay is better at most jobs....

Seanith
12-05-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by legereandrew4

Thats not that much money these days... Im in grade 11, parents give me no money, I work part time, and thats easy as hell to afford... just though i would say that... but $3700 isnt alot of money these days, prices are higher then they used to be, and pay is better at most jobs....

Your saying you can throw away $3700 like its nothing?? I find that hard to believe unless your selling eight-balls to elementary and junior high kids :rolleyes:

legereandrew4
12-05-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~

Your saying you can throw away $3700 like its nothing?? I find that hard to believe unless your selling eight-balls to elementary and junior high kids :rolleyes:

Im not fighting abotu this or any thing, but no i dont sell i drugs, I cook at boston pizza, and like I said $3700 is nothing... I work there p/t, go to school, im in grade 11, and lets just say I can offord to have bought my car, getting an sr for it, with aftermarket parts.... its not hard to pull in 1g a month... save up for a bit easy to buy stuff your self... But i do agree with what he was saying, most these kids probally do have rich parents who spoil them and give them a wad of cash to go buy what they want, even though they dont even now nothing abotu it, etc.

Seanith
12-05-2003, 02:44 PM
fair enough

calgarys13
12-05-2003, 03:47 PM
you wanna see spoiling bishop obyrne has 1 kid driving a z06 and another driving a brand new jaguar..pretty sure 17 year olds kids can't afford those kina cars:dunno:

3G
12-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
you wanna see spoiling bishop obyrne has 1 kid driving a z06 and another driving a brand new jaguar..pretty sure 17 year olds kids can't afford those kina cars:dunno:

maybe they're mommy or daddys car and they were just using it for the day. but yeah some people are beyond spoiled

XylathaneGTR
12-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13

:whocares: It doesn't really matter where someones money comes from, or how they can afford the car/parts that they drive...Who really gives a fuck. So what if someone's parents buy them a car.
I have a friend who's dad is buying him a 2004 A4 1.8T w/ the SuperSport package, and personally, im jealous, cause i'd love to have that car handed to me, but really...who gives a fuck.

Who gives a shit if someones "spoiled" or not...

B17a
12-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by XylathaneGTR

:whocares: It doesn't really matter where someones money comes from, or how they can afford the car/parts that they drive...Who really gives a fuck. So what if someone's parents buy them a car.
I have a friend who's dad is buying him a 2004 A4 1.8T w/ the SuperSport package, and personally, im jealous, cause i'd love to have that car handed to me, but really...who gives a fuck.

Who gives a shit if someones "spoiled" or not...

True enough, but half these spoiled brats act as though they bought it themselves! If you ask them, I'm sure less than half will actually admit, yes mommy and daddy bought it for me.

Ben
12-05-2003, 10:09 PM
I dont make my car look like a spacecraft, so most leave me alone. When I was in edmonton I actually had a cop talk to me for 6 ot 7 minutes as he whote me up for speeding, commenting on my car and such and how he thought the euro look was really good.

I like cops, the generally dont give you a reason to hate them unless you bring it on yourself and do something dumb (like ricing out your car with lights, wings, decals and brutal mufflers and then get pissed when they cite you for it)

ninspeed
12-05-2003, 10:24 PM

Im not fighting abotu this or any thing, but no i dont sell i drugs, I cook at boston pizza, and like I said $3700 is nothing... I work there p/t, go to school, im in grade 11, and lets just say I can offord to have bought my car, getting an sr for it, with aftermarket parts.... its not hard to pull in 1g a month... save up for a bit easy to buy stuff your self... But i do agree with what he was saying, most these kids probally do have rich parents who spoil them and give them a wad of cash to go buy what they want, even though they dont even now nothing abotu it, etc.

guess you dont have many bills or rent

GTS Jeff
12-05-2003, 10:30 PM

Im not fighting abotu this or any thing, but no i dont sell i drugs, I cook at boston pizza, and like I said $3700 is nothing... I work there p/t, go to school, im in grade 11, and lets just say I can offord to have bought my car, getting an sr for it, with aftermarket parts.... its not hard to pull in 1g a month... save up for a bit easy to buy stuff your self... But i do agree with what he was saying, most these kids probally do have rich parents who spoil them and give them a wad of cash to go buy what they want, even though they dont even now nothing abotu it, etc. hey thats great buddy. my tuition is about $5000 a year, books cost around $1200, my grocery bill is $3500. mortgage is about $9000 and the car costs about $6000 a year to keep on the roads (gas, insurance, maintenance).

yea $3700 is a small fraction of that, but to have $3700 leftover is no easy task at all. if u think that saving that kind of cash up is "nothing", then fuck you.

4wheeldrift
12-05-2003, 10:56 PM
The problem isn't movies, or people buying parts, the problem is fucking stupid kids (and more than a few stupid adults) who don't treat vehicles with the respect they deserve. Most people know killing someone with a gun is wrong, but it seems like very few people give any thought to exactly how much damage a car can do, and how much kinetic energy is delivered in an accident. Getting hit by a car or having your car hit can kill you every bit as dead as a bullet can, but people still take stupid risks putting themselves and most times innocent bystanders in danger because they don't have any fear of something bad happening. Far too few people treat driving as the priviledge it is, it is not a right. A drivers license gives you no more allowance for driving like an idiot than an FAC gives you free license to go around blowing people away. "Well, I can control the car." If I've learned anything from my time on the road course and doing solo 2, its that control is an illusion. When you think you've got things handled is when you need to watch out the most, because you never know when something unexpected is going to happen. Yet you get these people exceeding the cars limitations and their own, and people get hurt as a result. Its damn sad, and its entirely preventable. Cars don't kill people, movies don't kill people, stupidity kills people.

-250-
12-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Thats a totally assinine(sp?) statement to make, the movies in no way affect when and where the cops crack down, its just that they realise since those movie were "popular" that there are going to be more young guns getting interested. More kids buying into the fad, until they realise that it is not just about the lifestyle ie stereotypical hot girls, and tons of money; yet the strugle it is to keep the blessed thing working.

I believe, if you dont draw attention to yourself, with the extreme gt wing, massive wide body kit, system that can rattle the earth, and the muffler that can be heard from the other side of the city, then you wount get busted.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying that your car has to look like a piece of shit not to get caught, but if you dont have a car that looks like a rule breakingly fast car then you wount get busted as often.

Cops dont know the diffrence between a loser with a nice bodykit and no engine, VS a guy with a hugly modded engine with a body kit, so bewarned.

:closed: :drama:

Maxt
12-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Damn I missed this thread..
Ahh but better late than never...
The police from Vancouver put some stats last summer....Kinda interesting...
Immediatly after Gone(from the theatre) In 60 Seconds was released, car thefts jumped by 35% in the greater Vancouver area... So who says life doesn't sometimes immitate art, but I would say the long term effect of these movie's are quite small, According to the same force, The Fast and The Foolish spawned a similar increase in racing, stunting and speeding, however that stuff has been going on since cars hit the road, and afterawhile thing simmer down to their previous levels...
You would think with all the hype that these were the first movies of this genre, hmmm Well GI60S, was a remake for fuck sakes, and hasn't anyone on this board, in the media or in a police department ever seen American Graffiti?.....Street racing is nothing new to Calgary or anywhere else, I would say though that the people involved in it are just getting stupider...When Bullshit Corner was in its heyday, 52nd str se was a single lane track where no traffic ever went from about Friday 6pm to Monday 6 am, there were no houses in Mkenzie when the races went on at Marquis of Lorne,The places where they are racing now, were total boonie ville, its not like that anymore, there is to much going on for that kinda stuff in that neck of the woods now... Don't want the cops bothering you, get off your lazy duffs and take it out of town...
My one pullover by city cops last year was hilarious... They pull me over on Mcleod by Midnapore, after the standard licence regstration blah blah, he asks why I am driving with a computer running on my seat, then asks where the "action" is tonight, I reply , I am going bowling, the cop snickers at me, and says, no seriously, I said, I am going bowling, he said,you are driving this thing to a bowling alley, I said yes I am, they then followed me all the way to Silver dollar, about 20 minutes of driving..I guess they were told that all import cars with a laptop must be streetracers...hmm....Maxt

93akordse
12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
you can't blame anyone but the driver for there mistakes, no movie or any publication can be held liable for something so absurb.....if you do whats in a movie thats your own problem....if it's a bad idea and a scapegoat is used, you need to learn some responsibility, as for the cops i've always had numerous problems with them before those movies came out, i hate most of them b/c all they are worried about around here is meeting their quota and harrassing people who can't afford a lawyer.
there are some good cops, don't get me wrong but you only worry about the corupt ones, it's a shame most people fear those crooked cops around here

german
12-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Anyone know kids in school who can pay $3g for a turbo, $700 for an exhaust system?

that would be me, but i work 2 jobs while i go to school so if i crash and die they can blame me but not the movie