PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shops: Calgary?

bluetek
03-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Guys,

Come spring I would like to start biking a little bit more and will need a new bike to do so.

Can anyone recommend a good local shop to go have a look.

Just looking for something like an entry level street bike. Budget would be about $500 but willing to spend a little bit more if thats what it take.

Not interested in any Sport Chek/Mart's.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, if anyone has some recommendations on a specific make model that has worked for them, that would be helpful as well.

bmeier
03-24-2010, 11:26 PM
try Bow Cycle.

**MOD EDIT** No posting of non-sponsor contact info. If you post the link again you'll be deducted a UR point.

Take a look at the Kona Dew, its a hybrid style great commuter bike.

bluetek
03-24-2010, 11:34 PM
thanks will definitely try this one out when I go in. Do you have any others you would think that would fit into the same class?

Should I be looking under the Road categories or Hybrid. I don't know a whole lot about the hybrid style.

bmeier
03-25-2010, 12:04 AM
depends what you want, road, mountain or street/hybrid.
Hybrid is a road style bike but with upright seating position and flat handlebars. they also come with suspension (which i dont like) or without and various different shifting components. The Dew is probably one of the best "cheaper" hybrid style bikes in my opinion, you could spend more but its a workhorse and it rides really well.

Hybrids are great bikes, that are cheaper than road bikes and more comfortable to ride if you dont like being bent down like on a road bike.

I have Kona jake the snake which is a cyclocross bike but they cost quite a bit more than $500.

swak
03-25-2010, 09:21 AM
I am a huge supporter of 'Eurotech Cycle'. Alonbgside Bopw Cycle it is the best in town.. Small shop but rad!
Its on 14th and Northmount NW

syeve
03-25-2010, 09:32 AM
I have been going to bow for 10 years...nobody touches my bike but them guys.

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Pedalhead in Avinita - great guys, good prices, and you can't beat the service. I send everyone I can there and they always come back happy.

swak
03-25-2010, 10:49 AM
I agree with you there, syeve, but one thing I'm really anal about is my bar tape, and IMO nobody can tape bars better than Roy at Eurotech.
He is crazy awesome at service, but Bow Cycle is where I go 99% of the time for parts etc, and eurotech for the oddball things (ie. Tubes, lube, etc.)

89coupe
03-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Calgary Cycle, by far the best service and prices.

superflychief
03-25-2010, 01:59 PM
for that price range, I'd really recommend a used bike.

Hounddog
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm also a fan of Bow Cycle, but check out MEC bikes. They have one for $650.00 I think. Looks to be more of a hybrid type. I just noticed it in their spring/summer catalog.

I have no idea of the quality, but it is kinda in your price range.

2Valve0
03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I go to B & P cycle off 17th ave in the heart of the ghetto. Bought all my hockey equipment there since I was young, and all my bikes there. They have good service for a not so experienced biker :dunno: I've never had a problem

Jim Rome99
03-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I'd like to spend about $800 on a bicycle. Can I get something decent for this? Just for riding around the city, no hills or anything. I'm willing to buy used if I know the bike is good quality and going to last me five or ten years.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
+1 for Bow Cycle

-1 for Eurotech

Lagerstatten.ca
03-25-2010, 04:22 PM
+1 for Derek and his crew at Calgary Cycle!