PDA

View Full Version : Review: Schwarma Station (Kensington)

Vagabond142
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
- Schwarma Station
- Kensington (10th street at around 5th ave? I know it's the west side just a bit north of the wind store there, but before the safeway)
- Food rating 4.5/5
- Ambience 2/5
- Service 5/5
-Type of place: Rapid middle eastern takeout/cafeteria seating

Review proper:

Well, after picking up a game from a fellow beyonder (thanks Yue! kickass car too), I felt a little peckish and i've never visited this place before, so I decided to hop down the street and try it out. I tried to go in with an open mind, but I am kind of biased by the gigantonormous donairs one gets at A&A (Jimmy's).

Ambience:

Anyways, it's a "hole in the wall" type of place, although a very clean, well kept, organized and, to my eye, sanitary place. Big menu on the wall with prices clearly listed for everything, rack of coolers with lots of drinks, some hard to find (Pepsi Lime, some middle eastern drink I didn't know what it was, etc), and a nice prep station with good viewing, so no hiding of prep. Veggies kept in the station looked fresh and there was a constant wiping down of any cutting surface. The tables and chairs wouldn't be out of place in any cafeteria, but they were gleaming they were so clean. Definitely a good sign of an attentive owner.

People:

The owner, Sam, was SUPER friendly. I think he is Lebanese, but he speaks clear, easy to understand english and is so friendly it's almost like he's a long lost uncle. Not to be stereotypical, but he also adds "my friend," to almost any sentence. And he's ALWAYS smiling. This is a guy that is proud to prepare and serve food.

Food:

Anyways, I had a chicken schwarma to stay ($10), with no extras (no cheese, no drink, no dessert). The pitas, I'm told, are made fresh every day, and I can believe it from the taste and crispness of them. The schwarma was assembled in about 30 seconds, then into the panini press with a little flair and a big smile. The plates are metal, with a big sheet of wax paper on them, and the schwarma was deposited on said plate and cut into two pieces.

Sitting down to eat, the schwarma did look a little small to cost $10, but when I bit into it, I realized why it cost what it did. I don't know what magical fairy dust this guys sprinkles on his food, but the chicken was hot, moist and tender, the lettuce and tomatoes tasted just-picked-from-the-garden fresh, there was some kind of purple leafy veggie in there (I'm assuming red cabbage), good pickles, and the sauce was spicy but mild, and married with the meat and vegetables perfectly. The pita was crisp and crunchy where it had been grilled, and the rest was warm and pliable. All in all, it was an excellent first bite.

The schwarma was very easy to eat, only really starting to drip sauce about 3/4's of the way through each half. It also settled really nicely in the stomach, making me feel full but not bloated or gassy at all, like some donairs/schwarmas do. It was also really colorful, with all the colors presenting a very appetizing meal.

All in all, I would say that for a lunch on the quick, this is definitely a place worth stopping off in Kensington for. I could do without all the big signs covering the windows and blocking the light some, but that's my only real gripe. It's a clean hole in the wall with fast service, friendly staff, and great food.

ExtraSlow
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I work downtown and some warm days I'll walk to Kensington just to get one of Sam's delicous donairs. He's one of the freindliest guys you'll ever meet, and super proud of his store.

Next time, get the cheese. I can't remember what kind it is, but it's some authentic mid-east variety, and it tastes like it's made from unicorn tears.

Right now, that's my favorite shwarma place in town.

G-ZUS
03-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Was the drink you saw called Freez? I love that stuff. Sam's brother owns the Desert Pita in Forest Lawn

Vagabond142
03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Freez! that's what it was called XD

HondaKid
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
I was there a few months back, worth the trip for sure. Funny how a good owner can make a place that much better, I also hit another schwarma place on 17th BUT if it is not being run a certain employee I keep driving by. Now I want a schwarma!!

Thumbs up on the cheese as well.

TYMSMNY
03-25-2010, 09:35 PM
good owner = good food = good service = win

Is it Halal?

Vagabond142
03-26-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Is it Halal?

honestly, as I don't know what to look for to determine that, I do not know

ExtraSlow
03-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Just ask Sam, he'd tell you. Most places that are Halal are pretty proud of it, since I think it's a bit of a pain to maintain.

It's not something you can tell from just looking at the food. Has more to do with the butchering process AFIK.

Mar
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM
Better than Babylon? Is Babylon still in business?

Super_Geo
03-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Hello my friend! Only the best for you my friend! Only the best, for the best, my friend!

Haha I love Shwarma Station, and whenever I go there with someone who hasn't been I always tell them "you're about to meet your new best friend."

TYMSMNY
03-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

honestly, as I don't know what to look for to determine that, I do not know

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Just ask Sam, he'd tell you. Most places that are Halal are pretty proud of it, since I think it's a bit of a pain to maintain.

It's not something you can tell from just looking at the food. Has more to do with the butchering process AFIK.

Yea, can't tell by looking. It's how it is slaughtered. They usually have a sign in there saying that it's Halal. It's definitely more expensive than regular chicken/beef. I'll check it out before I bring my friend. Lunch anyone?

Vagabond142
04-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Yea, can't tell by looking. It's how it is slaughtered. They usually have a sign in there saying that it's Halal. It's definitely more expensive than regular chicken/beef. I'll check it out before I bring my friend. Lunch anyone?

I took a peek in there on Thursday, I did not see any signs advertising if it was Halal. It was also STUPID busy (like 30 people in line :eek: ) so I didn't want to bother them behind the counter to ask. However, I would hedge a bet here and say "no, unless verified by other means as yes."

Hope that helps

nonlinear
04-03-2010, 01:05 PM
anyone know if they have falafel sandwiches, too? and if so, are the falafels fried to order, or do they nuke them like everywhere else in this damn city??? :nut:

Weapon_R
04-03-2010, 01:30 PM
Is Sam the blue eyed, blond hair stocky guy?

rizfarmer
04-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Hello my friend! Only the best for you my friend! Only the best, for the best, my friend!

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is Sam the blue eyed, blond hair stocky guy?

did he sound like this? because this is exactly how he speaks

zain123
04-03-2010, 11:00 PM
yes it is halal
i was there today .. soo goood!

nonlinear
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM
i did some google searching, and the vast majority of comments and reviews say that this place is WAY overpriced for what you get. this is such a common review, actually, that I don't think I'd ever try this place - especially with A&A right up the hill.

ExtraSlow
04-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Well, it's not a huge meal. But it's all I need.
I feel it's decent value.

nonlinear
04-04-2010, 11:01 AM
it's not so much the mass i'm concerned about, but the price/mass. i mean, IMO A&A is WAY overpriced, too, but at least the size there helps justify the cost *a bit.* $10 for a tiny sandwich is ridiculous IMO.

apparently, the owner of shwarma station admits his prices are higher than everywhere else, but he just blames it on his $10k/month rent. :banghead:

Kritafo
04-04-2010, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nonlinear
anyone know if they have falafel sandwiches, too? and if so, are the falafels fried to order, or do they nuke them like everywhere else in this damn city??? :nut: [/QUOTE

have you found anywhere in Calgary that makes them fried? I can't even eat the falafels in Calgary they are terrible. I am looking forward to going home just for a decent falafel.

nonlinear
04-04-2010, 01:21 PM
^^the Mediterranean grill across from Chinook on MacLeod used to fry them fresh, until they closed :(

i've been told that Pharaoh's (1610 10 St SW) makes them fresh, although i haven't been in the area to try them out.

TYMSMNY
04-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Have you tried the place at the Byblos bakery? Crunchy and GOOD!

Kritafo
04-04-2010, 01:24 PM
good news. I gave up looking so long ago. I used to ask all the time, but gave up . ahh too bad it's Easter I guess I will have to wait until next week to go. Thanks!

nonlinear
04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Have you tried the place at the Byblos bakery? Crunchy and GOOD!

no, where is this?

TYMSMNY
04-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

no, where is this?

Don't know if I'm allowed to post address'...??? Oh well, here it is.

2479 23 Street NE, west of Barlow, Sunridge Mall area.

nonlinear
04-04-2010, 02:00 PM

Don't know if I'm allowed to post address'...??? Oh well, here it is.

2479 23 Street NE, west of Barlow, Sunridge Mall area.

so, does the bakery also have a deli counter or something, where they sell shwarmas?

TYMSMNY
04-04-2010, 02:15 PM
^ deli is in right in the building, front entrance. They sell everything they make in there as well... sometimes at a discounted price. :D

Weapon_R
04-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Byblos has excellent Falafels. They are made daily but not fried in front of you. Best in the city IMO.

Feruk
04-06-2010, 12:40 PM
A&A doesn't even compare to Shwarma Station. I've prolly eaten there 6 or 7 times now and the combination of Sam and how tasty the food is far outweighs the price in my mind. Every time I go there, not only do I get my food quickly, but Sam usually gives me a couple samples of the other types of meat while I wait.

Love that place!

shortyshorty
05-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Anybody know what time this place closes?

Gondi Stylez
08-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Those in the know order Sams sandwich! :drool:

The falafel is amazing too! Aidas has some excellent ones too.

beyond_ban
08-19-2010, 10:44 AM
^ Aida's donair in Mackenzie? I love that place.

austic
10-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Those in the know order Sams sandwich! :drool:

The falafel is amazing too! Aidas has some excellent ones too.

Sooo good, might have to run to kensington today for it.