PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Quazimoto

89coupe
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
That photo you took in Maui (of the valley sunset), where was it taken at(directions)? I'm heading to Maui this summer and wouldn't mind checking out that vantage point.

Thanks.

B

This is the photo.

http://www.khphotography.ca/volcano.jpg

scat19
03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Be civil or don't post. All users will be held to the same standard.

syeve
03-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I like where this is going.

Go4Long
03-25-2010, 02:46 PM
*I will not cause drama, I will not cause drama, I will not cause drama, I will not cause drama...etc*

BerserkerCatSplat
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
*I will not cause drama, I will not cause drama, I will not cause drama, I will not cause drama...etc*

Good. Keep it that way.

89coupe's question is perfectly legitimate and if it leads to a further discussion of the photo, all the better.

2Valve0
03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I want to see the photo!

Mitsu3000gt
03-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
I want to see the photo!

Pretty sure its this one:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/296738/any-interested-in-large-art-prints/

89coupe
03-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Found it.
http://mauiactivities.net/roberts_haleakala_crater.html

Did you take a tour or drive up in a Jeep yourself?

I've read conflicting posts of some saying its a safe drive up and others saying its rather dangerous.

EvolizePhoto
03-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Found it.
http://mauiactivities.net/roberts_haleakala_crater.html

Did you take a tour or drive up in a Jeep yourself?

I've read conflicting posts of some saying its a safe drive up and others saying its rather dangerous. It's 100% safe. In fact many people often times go off roading pretty fast up the ascent. Make sure you rent a jeep and give it a try, would be a fun time. Take lots of pics.

The_Rural_Juror
03-25-2010, 03:49 PM
That's a lovely photo.

I shall ponder its meaning over tea.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Couldn't pm me about that could ya now lol. I think I actually posted the info of where the photo was taken in that thread. It even says it right above the photo....

It was on Mt. Haelaekela. You'll need to drive up there by 2:30am to hit the sunrise. If you leave later than that you'll get stuck in traffic, have to fight for a spot.

I took this at the very highest ledge possible so nobody would be around me to screw around with me. I was up there for six days straight to get that shot as well. The sky appears the best when it is clouded.

Also make a full day trip out of it. You can get some very wicked photos of the craters when it is full day time out there and the best part of it is there are so few people that walk around up there.

The drive is not fun in pitch black by the way. You'll go up and around many hairpin corners that have nothing but a 500ft drop. I personally go up really fast since. If you get stuck behind people that are afraid to drive it you might be going 10-15mph the entire way up which gets really annoying.

Also you better have one hell of a tripod because you'll need it to get the right shots. The wind is extremely nasty up there in the mornings. Bring blue jeans, a damn good hoody and most importantly gloves!

Also not sure if you noticed this is the one spot peter lik just doesn't happen to have a photo of in his galleries. I've often pondered why he doesn't have this since it is most likely the most awe striking sunrise anybody will ever see.

ExtraSlow
03-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Excellent and helpful post.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Thought it would be more fun to post it, with the chance of getting tips from others who have been on the island as well.

Thanks for the tips. I've done plenty of 4x4'ing, BC guy and all, but I do have my GF and daughter with me so I can't be too reckless.

I have a decent tripod that is fully adjustable, so shouldn't be a problem.

Any other places you recommend for photographing?

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Err when in the summer time? You might need to do a little research into since the summer month are non-peak time for trips up there. Not sure if you'd get the exact same view. Most of the photos I see taken up there are from January to April.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 09:00 AM
Err when in the summer time? You might need to do a little research into since the summer month are non-peak time for trips up there. Not sure if you'd get the exact same view. Most of the photos I see taken up there are from January to April.

July 31 - Aug 12

August – Warm, sunny to partly cloudy days are the rule for August. Tradewinds are still fanning the island with great regularity. Occasionally a tropical storm or Hurricane will get close enough to Maui to cause our winds to stop and the humidity to rise to uncomfortable levels, though it is unusual. Small-medium size waves continue to be at times a problem…in that, the South shores, where these waves impact, are the same beaches that the visitors (who often are not used to waves of any size) are at play and sunbathing. Persons should be careful during these periodic high surf events. Tradewinds are blowing on the average 94% of the time. Sea water temperature averages about 79 degrees F.

August averages for different locations on Maui Lahaina 88-69 F. (31.1C-20.6C) .18" of precipitation Hana 84-71 F. (28.9C-21.7C) 5.62" of precipitation Kahului 88-71 F. (31.1C-21.7C) .49" of precipitation

Kahului % of possible daytime sunshine: 73%

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Thought it would be more fun to post it, with the chance of getting tips from others who have been on the island as well.

Thanks for the tips. I've done plenty of 4x4'ing, BC guy and all, but I do have my GF and daughter with me so I can't be too reckless.

I have a decent tripod that is fully adjustable, so shouldn't be a problem.

Any other places you recommend for photographing?

Honestly when I go there I have one week just for photos and the other for vacation.

1. Mt. Haelaekela
2. Road to Hana

It's hard for me to mention every single stop on the way since there is a multitude of different places. I normally like to stay 1 night in Hana as I love take sunset and sunrise photos at the black beach in the state park.

3. Big Beach

Same sunrise and sunset. You'll need to be there by 3-4am to get there when nobody else is.

I am going there after I get married again next year. This time though I'm going to be trying the hasselblad for the first time out there. Up until now its just been Canon/Nikon goodies.

Only issue I can see going in the summer months is the waterfalls are absurdly crap since it's the dry season. I almost always go around April to get it when its just decent. I'll try to post some shots up.

I ended up getting a lot of requests for the sunrise photo and now more beyonders want to buy other printed works. It's really not about making money for me. I really have no problems selling these all at cost. To me it's just flattering when somebody wants to display your artwork.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 09:59 AM
I have some key locations in mind that I've done research on for doing some nice photo shoots.

Some particular areas off the the top of my head are.

Jaws

One particular black beach that has a very interesting peninsula.

Bamboo forest

The old lava flow

Haleakala Crater

Some waterfalls.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Honestly nix the waterfalls and old lava trails. The waterfalls are going to be really icky that time of the year. The best time for them is April-May when it's mid wet season. By then the precipitation has decreased substantially. Whenever I'm there in January/February the major waterfalls have way too much water to even attempt photographing. The spray from the falls is surreal. I'll post up a few shots here in a few minutes. Just trying to find the ones that I had ordered for some beyonders.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't know, this waterfall looks pretty spectacular for Aug.6th.

UEynALBwejg

As for the lava fields, I wouldn't miss that for anything. The landscape is surreal IMO.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 11:12 AM
If you have young children don't expect to be seeing that one waterfall. It's a two hour hike up a mountain on a rough path. 50% right straight up hill. You'll need to cross several knee high deep creeks to get to it. Its a roughly 1.5 to 2 hour hike or even longer depending on your abilities. You'll also need to stay over night in Hana if you plan on getting there with nobody in the way. I'll post some shots soon.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 11:15 AM
If you have young children don't expect to be seeing that one waterfall. It's a two hour hike up a mountain on a rough path. 50% right straight up hill. You'll need to cross several knee high deep creeks to get to it. Its a roughly 1.5 to 2 hour hike or even longer depending on your abilities. You'll also need to stay over night in Hana if you plan on getting there with nobody in the way. I'll post some shots soon.

Our daughter is 12, she will be fine. We are all in very good shape, should be a breeze. ;)

I will have CS5 by then, content remove will fix any pesky tourists :P

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Sure but but but crop sensor camera = your screwd.

Better make sure you have bare minimum a 10mm lens with one hell of a ND filter or you won't be getting any good shots.

I'd be careful with your daughter just forewarning. The current in the streams you need to walk through is VERY strong.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Sure but but but crop sensor camera = your screwd.

Better make sure you have bare minimum a 10mm lens with one hell of a ND filter or you won't be getting any good shots.

I'd be careful with your daughter just forewarning. The current in the streams you need to walk through is VERY strong.

Haha, thats what pano technology is for ;)

Duly noted.

There are so many waterfalls in Maui, hopefully I get to a few of them.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 11:44 AM
There are only THREE noteworthy waterfalls. One is virtually unreachable unless your a pro rock climber. One is a two hour hike and the other a little over 3.

Good luck doing a pano on a waterfall like that. I don't think even CS5 could be that good at restructuring random moving water lol.

And just heed the advice somebody is giving you for once regarding your daughter. I mean for the love of god. I've been there nearly a dozen times. The last thing we need to hear in the news is how some canadian hiker got injured in maui.

You rarely take advice from people on this forum and this for once I hope you do.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 11:55 AM
I've done a ton of pano's with moving water, looks amazing!

She will be fine, I'm not stupid.

I'm hoping there will be some decent swells while I'm there. Dying to shoot some nice curls from the side.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Your honestly going at the wrong time for it though. The north shore of maui can make oahu look like childs play.

Once again heed the advice with hiking that path. IT is not easy nor safe. You have to be the most stubborn person on here. I've seen grown people thrown down stream while hiking up there. Knee deep moving current on a person such as myself that is six feel tall. It would likely be waste deep on your daughter.

89coupe
03-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Your honestly going at the wrong time for it though. The north shore of maui can make oahu look like childs play.

Once again heed the advice with hiking that path. IT is not easy nor safe. You have to be the most stubborn person on here. I've seen grown people thrown down stream while hiking up there. Knee deep moving current on a person such as myself that is six feel tall. It would likely be waste deep on your daughter.

Don't matter, if we really like it we will most likely go back in December.

Dude, relax...lol.

I grew up in BC, I fished half my life in rivers that most wouldn't even consider putting their foot in.

If I feel its unsafe for her then we won't cross period, but I have a feeling we will be just fine.

Hell, last year in Oahu she was riding 10 foot breakers by my side, while grown men stood on the shore line scared...LOL

JfuckinC
03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
89coupe you should get a vertical pano of a palm tree with a sick background like that on pine or spruce tree you did. That picture stuck in my mind, i wanna get a house with a 2 story foyer and blow it up and hang it on the wall haha

The_Rural_Juror
03-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mode edit:No more drama.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 07:33 PM
God he's just too stubborn I tell you.

These are some spots you need to see.

http://www.khphotography.ca/beyond1.jpg

http://www.khphotography.ca/beyond2.jpg

http://www.khphotography.ca/beyond3.jpg

http://www.khphotography.ca/beyond4.jpg

Pollywog
03-26-2010, 08:16 PM
http://www.khphotography.ca/beyond3.jpg

What did you shoot this one with? Fantastic btw. The original photo that Brad posted is also quite breathtaking.

quazimoto
03-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Trying to go back to it. That shot I think was with a Canon 5D with a 16-35mm with a couple heavy ND filters attached. It's not an easy waterfall to photograph at all since it's several hundred feet high and cleared viewing area is more a less right up close to the waterfall itself. You also can't get that close to the waterfall due to rocks falling from above so it's rather tricky but it's easily the nicest available waterfall in maui.

One of my personal favorite spots.