PDA

View Full Version : Living in Cochrane

Euro_Trash
03-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Anyone live in Cochrane? Just wondering if it's a nice community, good schools, low crime, etc. Anything negative about it?
Thanks

rizfarmer
03-25-2010, 10:42 PM
girlfriend lives out there; she complains about natives all the time. Plus it's a small town with nothing going on so that would be 2 reasons not to move there in my mind.

That's just my opinion, everyone else I know out there likes it, plus it's a much better alternative to Chesterswamp or Airdrie you you need to hook up to the Calgary Transit system.

Euro_Trash
03-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer

That's just my opinion, everyone else I know out there likes it, plus it's a much better alternative to Chesterswamp or Airdrie you you need to hook up to the Calgary Transit system.

Yeah just looking at Cochrane, Chestersmear, Airdre and Okotoks

Bizzareo
03-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Cochrane is pretty quite, there isn't much to do in town. But if you like hiking and all that you are in a good location...

Imo I would do either cochrane okotoks or chestermear

rizfarmer
03-25-2010, 10:52 PM
The only place I could live in surrounding Calgary would be Chestermere; it's the only one that doesn't have the small town feeling because it's more or less a suburb of Calgary. Because no one was actually born and raised in Chestermere you don't get that creapy loser small town feeling there. Everyone there would likely acknowledge they are a Calgarian.

It's not hard to tell I dislike small towns haha.

darthVWader
03-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I live in Cochrane and love it!!!!!! 3 years now and I never have any issues with the Native folk??? yes they are here yes some give the rest a bad name but trust me there are a lot worse dumb fuck crakers in this town.
They have a great French program from 1-12 here in town.
15 min to Crowfoot and close to the Mountains and with the ring road it's only 45min to the airport.
Nice and quite low crime where I am as every second house has a cop or EMS and the roads are great in the winter plus they plow the side streets.
Cool 4 screen movie house, two real red neck bars and a couple sports pubs. Tims and a BPs and a lot of other shops.

PS vote for DartVWader Mayor Cochrane 2010

drtoohotty1
03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Alright i have lived here for 10 years so i figure i can give you a pretty good overview.....pretty good community depending on where you live our east end is kind of equal to the NE SE calgary, I wouldn't live in glenbow either when the bars let out in the summer that seems to be where the path of destruction is.....

Schools are also good, pretty much every culture and religion is covered very sports minded so start throwing a basketball or football at your kid now (if you have one)

Crimes fairly low but we are growing so some things are on the rise minor vandalism etc....natives aren't a big problem unless you work in one of the food chains or like walking on the 1A west of the A-1 drive in...I don't find anything really negative about it right now other then the town growing faster then the infrastructure can handle.

We have pretty much everything you could need out here and if we don't its only a short trip into calgary, me personally other then work I don't really venture into the city much past the NW now that beacon hill has all the big stores up and running....

CMW403
03-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by drtoohotty1
A-1 drive in...

USED to be A-1 drive in...:(

that chinese lady made THE BEST chicken burgers

spikerS
03-26-2010, 06:07 AM
I lived in Cochrane for 23 years. Good place to start for a young couple, but if you have children between the ages of 6 and 16, they will hate you as there is nothing for them, and when this happens, they get into trouble.

Euro_Trash
03-26-2010, 07:29 AM
Yeah no kids yet, and not planned for 5+ years. We both work downtown, but would rather live outside the city and commute. I'm planning on driving out there this afternoon to check the town out.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Jonrox
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM
You should really check out Okotoks (specifically the north end). It's less than 15 minutes to Shawnessey and Douglasdale. If you live in one of the "Crystal" neighborhoods in Okotoks and work downtown, the first light you'll hit is at Memorial Drive.

Okotoks has a lot too - 4 major grocery chains, Staples, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, tons of fast-food/pizza, Cora's, Original Joe's, a great rec centre, a lake community, some of the best schools in the province, movie theatre, bowling alley, and soon to be Costco.

It doesn't have such a small town feel since most of Okotoks is brand new construction - it feels more like a suburb of Calgary. Okotoks has grown very quickly over the past 5 years, but I'm surprised it hasn't grown even bigger.

quazimoto
03-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Or even langdon. 10 minutes to the city. Huge freaking houses. We have connectors to 22x, glenmore, highway 1. It's easy to get anywhere from here in a hurry.

Ironically I would argue your kids are more likely to fall into bad groups by going to school in the city. I mean heck we don't hear about too many gangster types growing up in okotoks, chestermere, langdon, cochrane, etc.

There is also some damn sweet areas near nanton. The one thing I love about small down living is you will sleep like you never have before.

Euro_Trash
03-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Went and toured the Crystal Ridge and airport areas in Okotoks last night, looks like a nice part of town. Pretty crazy they are getting a Costco, Winners and West 49

sputnik
03-28-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Ironically I would argue your kids are more likely to fall into bad groups by going to school in the city. I mean heck we don't hear about too many gangster types growing up in okotoks, chestermere, langdon, cochrane, etc.

Not gangs... just a bunch of bored teens getting drunk, high and their girlfriends pregnant every weekend.

Unknown303
03-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Not gangs... just a bunch of bored teens getting drunk, high and their girlfriends pregnant every weekend.

Which really just sounds like a good weekend. :dunno:

HondaKid
03-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Which really just sounds like a good weekend. :dunno:

Ditto there, is this not a teen's lifestyle? Those were good weekends...

bituerbo
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I live in Strathmore (moved from the city not too long ago) and am pretty happy out here. Lots of quiet, big lot, oversized double garage, all for condo money if I was going to buy in the city.