PDA

View Full Version : New Drivers & Traffic collisions.

derpderp
03-26-2010, 02:03 AM
So statistically new drivers are expected to be in some sort of traffic collision in the first year, new drivers also account for the highest rate of fatal collisions.

I have been asking and it seems like everyone I know has ruined there first vehicle.

So were you involved in a collision in your first year?

whiskas
03-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Drove my first car for almost 5 years, and never an accident.

A lot of it had to do with the fact it was a mantran that forced me to look ahead.

pheoxs
03-26-2010, 09:17 AM
3 Years and 8 months until my first accident from the day I got my license. (2 more if you count my learners since I was always driving)

Was deemed not at fault, guy turned left infront of my and claimed 'i came out of nowhere' so he was 100% at fault, wrote off my Cavalier, but I ended up getting slightly over double the black book price for my cavalier so it worked out good I suppose.

GQBalla
03-26-2010, 09:19 AM
nope.

i got in a not at fault accident 2nd year of driving though

rage2
03-26-2010, 09:22 AM
I got hit by a drunk driver who ran a red light on new years eve, 5 months after I got my license.

friedn00dles
03-26-2010, 11:10 AM
received licence in feb 05.

aug 05 i was rear-ended by another 16 year old driver.

rear-enders are no fun :thumbsdow

Dec 06 old man ran a yeild as i pulled into a neighborhood intersection. T- Boned him. 89 Civic VS 68 dodge Monaco.
my car was written off. his was undamaged..

Stubby
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Have never been in an accident yet. Took out one of those bus stop signs one year going around a corner in winter :poosie:

Have yet to get pulled over for a speeding ticket as well.

First vehicle was an explorer and it exploded on me going down Sarcee within my first year if that counts...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Got really unlucky ad crashed just before my one year anniversary. Was driving approx 15km/h on ice with snow tires being careful and unfortunately understeered in the back wheel of a semi in a dual turning lane. No damage to semi, minor bumper damage to my car, police determined it was just an unfortunate accident and the other driver confirmed I wasn't being a dumbass or anything. Since 2 years ago no accidents, never had any tickets, trying to keep my insurance low.

2EFNFAST
03-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Nope. 0 accidents/0 tickets after 11yrs of driving.

Well, the first part (0 accidents) is slightly untrue - after like 3yrs of driving, my neighbor backed up her car onto our driveway and hit my car, that was parked, on our driveway. But I refuse to count that.

Trini
03-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Been driving almost 10 years, never got into an accident *knocks on wood*

thepyrofish
03-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I rear ended a lady right around the 1 year point. She stopped suddenly right at the moment I happened to be staring at a dummy light or something on the dash. :banghead: Cost me a grand and taught me to pay more fucking attention to the road.

Masked Bandit
03-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Three at-faults the first year (one through insurance), a couple more over the next three or four years and then nothing (at-fault) for the past 17.

masoncgy
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
My first accident occurred after 1.5 years of driving... hit a patch of ice and slid into a school bus full of kids... no one was hurt... just minor damages.

Second accident was around 4 years of driving... not at fault... major damages and injuries to the occupants of the other vehicle... I walked away without a scratch.

10+ years without an accident since.

Kobe
03-26-2010, 03:22 PM
1 week after I got my 1st car, I got hit from behind while waiting at a red light.. Was not at fault...

Cos
03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I rear ended some 14 year old kid who stole his aunts car 1 month short of 1 year.

He wasnt following the rules of the road and he pulled an illegal uturn on a 2 lane road right in front of me. Taught me to be more cautious.

A year later in the same area a lady ran a red light when I had a turn signal and wrote off my car..... that is where COS came from :( So second was not at fault but my neck hurt for MONTHS after that.

hampstor
03-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Got my license in 96... first accident was a not-at-fault in 2000 (I got rear ended). Second accident happened in 2006, I got rear ended again. No damage to my vehicle so I didn't report it or seek any damages.

ZMan2k2
03-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I got plowed into while I had the green light. Guy ran the red and hit me, the other cars in front of me and behind me saw and heard, they came to my aid and helped as witnesses. Wrote off the car, a '90 Firefly 2-dr.

Abeo
03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Got my license in '96, worked driving a truck for 4 years, commuted 45km+ each way, etc. Lots of road time.
0 tickets, 0 accidents

But in my first year of driving I did some stupid shit, thats for sure...

Tomaz
03-26-2010, 03:54 PM
1 year... 2 months! lol

After that, well, we wont go there :facepalm:

A2VR6
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I didnt get into any trouble collision wise till year 3. Got ran into a a coulpe times in year 3 (not my fault).

StreetRacerX
03-26-2010, 11:45 PM
Wrecked my grandmas Neon speeding over bumpy tracks, wrecked my first car a year after buying it(95 Avenger), fml I really liked that car, but they are a dime a dozen. A few winters ago all the snow melted, so the fool I am throw on the summer wheels, a week later it snows and I end up hydroplaning on slush and drift sideways into a guardrail on Ogden South just before 50th ave.

EDIT: Wrecked a 2003 Subaru with a shitty company van trying something stupid on a intersection that crosses Memorial from Deerfoot South. It was the day after I was insured by the company and I had been living in Calgary for 1-2 weeks.

Mibz
03-27-2010, 02:40 AM
3 months after I got my license a drunk driver ran a stop sign and I T-boned him.

I was in my '88 New Yorker, him in his '89 Golf. My car has a bent frame and gets written off. He has a dent in his driver's door.

maxomilll
03-27-2010, 03:34 AM
about a month after I got my license, i crashed my first car, a 90's 4runner into the road, roof first. Taught me drifting a SUV is a BAD idea...:banghead:

jwslam
03-27-2010, 10:02 AM
I think your poll is skewed cuz there's some who didn't live to tell about it.

Tik-Tok
03-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Less than 48 hours after I got my license. Going to work at 6 am, tired as hell from a party the night before, turned left at a set of lights when it turned green, was looking down the road I was turning on to, and didn't even notice the guy coming straight.

$3000 in damages to his brand new '97 Malibu, a dent the size of a dime in the chrome around my headlight ('78 Dodge Aspen).

That was the only accident I've been personally involved in after 14 years of driving.

ReasonOne
04-04-2010, 03:44 AM
I was in an accident at 16 (was struck by a drunk driver) but I was a passenger in that car.

I'm coming up at almost 20 years of driving experience and I didn't have any problems until 3 years ago.

1) Three years ago, was at a full stop at a controlled intersection near SAIT with a stop light camera present. I had a red light and had been at a full stop for at least 10 seconds. Next thing I know a pedestrian starts crossing the street and leaps back at the last second. I look at my rear view mirror and see a woman in a full size pickup on the phone about to slam into me at doing at least 50. She hit me so hard I flew into the intersection and tripped the stop light camera. I had to go downtown and bring my accident report to prove to the cops that I was forced into the intersection. Not to mention the picture shows the rear end of my car pushed in....

2) Last year I was driving on a rural road in poor conditions (snow and ice). I was driving safely and my car was equipped with winter tires. The other guy was in the opposite lane coming from the other direction. He was speeding and had no winter tires. He lost control of his car, crossed the double solid line into opposing traffic and slammed into me sideways doing at least 80-90 kmph (head on collision).

Not at fault for either, and hope it stays that way.

jdmXSI
04-04-2010, 10:08 AM
It wa the first year I was backing up out of a Parking stall in an integra and there was a cargo van to my right. I was still getting used to driving a standard, accidentally popped the clutch and I backed up into the side of a 4 year old Lexus... I took out the right rear door all the way to the rear bumper, I was traumitized to say the least.

btimbit
04-04-2010, 11:24 PM
About 7 months after I got my GDL Another 16 year old thought I was going to turn left (even though that would have meant I'd be going the wrong way down a one way street) and he turned left (coming the opposite direction) right into me.

I wasn't technically at fault, but I certainly could have swerved or braked earlier to avoid it.

cjay^
04-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Was in a collision 3 months after I got my license. The other party was charged with making an unsafe left turn (solid green, right in front of me).

3 months ago the same thing happened.

Black Integras are cursed for me...

btimbit
04-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by cjay^
Black Integras are cursed for me...

Funny, that's what hit me as well. Well, it was an RSX, but still.

Bizzareo
04-05-2010, 12:05 AM
0 accidents, got bumped once in a parking lot without even a scratch so I don't count it. I got pulled over once for doing 5 over in a school zone but never received a ticket (being polite goes a long way).

My family has never had an at fault accident. My dad gets a new truck every two years due to the hill we live on and morons doing 70km/h down it. My mom keeps having people hit her car in parking lots and always ends up being given a vehicle 3x the size of her Saturn wagon.

kangyu
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).