PDA

View Full Version : CMA Designation

PepsiCola
03-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I'd like to dedicate this threat to the CMA designation. I am currently pursuing my designation and am getting ready to appear for my entrance exam in June 2010.

At this point I'd like for all those out there that have a designation to provide some feedback to those preparing to get designated.

Please feel free to comment about:

-Job oppurtunities
-Career prospectives
-Types of jobs most CMA's end up going into
-Salary ranges as a candidate and as a designated CMA
- Info for the entrace exam..
- anything else that is a usefull piece of knowledge

Thanks guys hopefully I get some valuble input that will be beneficial for everyone seeking this designation

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BrknFngrs
03-26-2010, 05:52 PM
There are quite a few threads on beyond regarding the different accounting designations and they have a lot of good information in them. Topics like jobs that a CMA would fill, salary ranges, etc are all very difficult to nail down since (like all designations) a person can do such a large variety of jobs.

One comment I would have though, if you are looking towards Junior Accountant/Senior Accountant/Controller/CFO jobs as your long term goal then it would benefit you hugely to try and take any courses you can on auditing (how they're done, procedures performed, assertions, etc etc etc) Even though you won't be auditing personally, this will help you so much when you have to deal with the auditors in any of the above mentioned roles.

PepsiCola
03-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
There are quite a few threads on beyond regarding the different accounting designations and they have a lot of good information in them. Topics like jobs that a CMA would fill, salary ranges, etc are all very difficult to nail down since (like all designations) a person can do such a large variety of jobs.

One comment I would have though, if you are looking towards Junior Accountant/Senior Accountant/Controller/CFO jobs as your long term goal then it would benefit you hugely to try and take any courses you can on auditing (how they're done, procedures performed, assertions, etc etc etc) Even though you won't be auditing personally, this will help you so much when you have to deal with the auditors in any of the above mentioned roles.

I work as a Junior accountant at an O&G downtown...However I was wondering typically what a CMA designated person does... like typically do they do financial accounting or more analysis type of work... I figure its a good oppurtunity to gain some solid financial accounting exposure and then branch out into some thing different near the end of my designation...

It's just nice to know where people in my situation are heading as a career path/choice... I want to be able to have to option to branch out in a different field once i'm done my designation and not be limited to being a financial accountant.

PepsiCola
03-28-2010, 04:33 PM
ALL THOSE IN THE ACCELERATED PROGRAM WRITING THE MODULE 4 EXAM IN ONTARIO:-

Hi Guys,

Anyone in Ontario that wrote the final exam for Module 4 management accounting last week...
Any tips on what questions were tested... i heard that the exam is long and i wanted to know how much time i need to devote to the first half of management accounting?

What were the long answers like?
Any curve balls?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
I write my final in 2 weeks and there is so much to study for any help in narrowing down the material would be GREAT !!!

Thanks

G-Suede
03-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by PepsiCola
Hi Guys,

I'd like to dedicate this threat to the CMA designation. I am currently pursuing my designation and am getting ready to appear for my entrance exam in June 2010.

I work as a Junior accountant at an O&G downtown...However I was wondering typically what a CMA designated person does... like typically do they do financial accounting or more analysis type of work...

So let me get this straight. You are pursuing the CMA designation, but you wondering what a person with a CMA designation does. That makes a lot of sense. Good luck in life.

:facepalm:

PepsiCola
03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by G-Suede

So let me get this straight. You are pursuing the CMA designation, but you wondering what a person with a CMA designation does. That makes a lot of sense. Good luck in life.

:facepalm:

It's just go to know various feild i can apply my education in...
Nothing wrong in gathering information...the more you know the better the choices you'll make... isnt so hard to understand :poosie:

The_Rural_Juror
03-29-2010, 01:14 PM

Nothing wrong in gathering information...the more you know the better the choices you'll make... isnt so hard to understand :poosie:

Some might wonder how you didn't get weeded out with the entrance exam.

G-Suede
03-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

If by some you mean everyone...

DJ_NAV
03-29-2010, 02:37 PM
the CMA exam is a joke from what I heard. The program itself is even easier. Haven't taken it myself but a friend of mine who got like 2.5 GPA in university took studied about 10 hrs a week for 2 months and then a good 3 days off from work to study for it and passed it easily.

PepsiCola
03-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror

So basically, You know nothing except criticism.. well done !!

The_Rural_Juror
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM

I work as a Junior accountant at an O&G downtown...However I was wondering typically what a CMA designated person does... like typically do they do financial accounting or more analysis type of work... I figure its a good oppurtunity to gain some solid financial accounting exposure and then branch out into some thing different near the end of my designation...

It's just nice to know where people in my situation are heading as a career path/choice... I want to be able to have to option to branch out in a different field once i'm done my designation and not be limited to being a financial accountant.

Anyone in Ontario that wrote the final exam for Module 4 management accounting last week...
Any tips on what questions were tested... i heard that the exam is long and i wanted to know how much time i need to devote to the first half of management accounting?

So basically, You know nothing except criticism.. well done !!

So basically, you know nothing except ellipses. Well done!!