PDA

View Full Version : how do I service a floor jack?

buh_buh
03-26-2010, 04:57 PM
My floor jack isn't going as high as it used to, and it just stops pumping once I get to a certain height, which incidentally isn't high enough for me to get a jack stand underneath. I'm assuming I have to refill some sort of hydraulic fluid or oil somewhere to "fix" it, or am I better off buying a new jack?

Btw its one of those MVP Canadian Tire specials.

frozenrice
03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Adding some hydraulic fluid should do it. There should be a service port underneath the cover near the handle/lever.

94boosted
03-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I used brake fluid and it works great. Don't think that that's exactly what your supposed to use but it is a hydraulic fluid so :dunno:

ExtraSlow
03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
I used brake fluid and it works great. Don't think that that's exactly what your supposed to use but it is a hydraulic fluid so :dunno:
so is water, bu that's also not reccomended.

Brake fluid is really corrosive to many types of plastic and rubber. Unless your jack is designed for it, you are harming it.

sr20s14zenki
03-26-2010, 07:46 PM
What you need is actually called jack fluid hahaha. I believe canadian tire carries it.

Supa Dexta
03-26-2010, 07:49 PM
I've used old oil in a pinch.

Zero102
03-26-2010, 08:01 PM
My dad always uses ATF in them. He has owned the same shitty floor jack since the early 80's. He tops it up every year, it leaks a bit but the jack has never let him down (a ha ha... oh....)

On every jack I have seen there is a little threaded cap down by the handle. Sometimes you have to pull the top cover off the jack to see it. Usually there are filling instructions under the top cover if it has to be removed.

Ukyo8
03-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
What you need is actually called jack fluid hahaha. I believe canadian tire carries it.

:werd: So does princess auto, they sell them in 1 litre bottles I think?

94boosted
03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

so is water, bu that's also not reccomended.

Brake fluid is really corrosive to many types of plastic and rubber. Unless your jack is designed for it, you are harming it.

Technically any incompressible fluid could be used but that's beside the point. Water probably wouldn't be the best idea lol (rusting, freezing....)

Truth is I've been looking for a reason to buy myself a nice new low profile jack but the one I have (that I use brake fluid in) has been working great for years now and it only set me back $40 :rofl:

FiveFreshFish
03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Ukyo8

:werd: So does princess auto, they sell them in 1 litre bottles I think?

Yes, it's $10 for a 1 L bottle or maybe less. The 4 L jug is about $15.

Graham_A_M
03-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice
Adding some hydraulic fluid should do it. There should be a service port underneath the cover near the handle/lever.

There should be a screw on the bottle itself that you can use to add oil in. Im sure its just low if anything.