PDA

View Full Version : Ole Jorgen of Canon Field Reviews jumps ship

Go4Long
03-26-2010, 05:51 PM
http://canonfieldreviews.com/

Amazing work from his canon work if you scroll down, I'm very curious to see what this guy ends up thinking of Nikons in the long run. Take a look at some of the shots where his gear is FULL of snow...it's pretty epic.

EvolizePhoto
03-26-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd be switching if Nikon offered me free jazz too.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Not sure if you read the info on why he switched though. That was the interesting stuff. He pulled it down shortly after he posted it. He was greatly angered with Canon and the 1D Mark IV and after playing with a D3s he realized he could already have his 1D Mark IV and 1Ds Mark IV just they were called a D3s and D3x.

What ironic is you then hear so many people bickering over the fact Nikon will not be releasing a D700x. Sigh will people ever learn that 12mp is just fine lol.

Go4Long
03-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
I'd be switching if Nikon offered me free jazz too.
...you are switching without the offer of free stuff.

I'm not attempting to spark a Nikon vs Canon debate here, simply saying this guy did AMAZING work with Canon, and I'm interested to see what he has to say, as a long term Canon shooter, about the Nikon line.

HondaKid
03-26-2010, 06:00 PM
The camera has very little to do with the end result of a skilled photographer. As long as they have a top end camera from a major maker, their skill shines through.

There are so many more factors involved beyond the camera and glass, like saying Iginla would be average if he switched hockey stick makers.

EvolizePhoto
03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long

...you are switching without the offer of free stuff.

I'm not attempting to spark a Nikon vs Canon debate here, simply saying this guy did AMAZING work with Canon, and I'm interested to see what he has to say, as a long term Canon shooter, about the Nikon line. What will he say about Nikon? Probably that it is superior.

Go4Long
03-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by HondaKid
The camera has very little to do with the end result of a skilled photographer. As long as they have a top end camera from a major maker, their skill shines through.

There are so many more factors involved beyond the camera and glass, like saying Iginla would be average if he switched hockey stick makers.

And another one misses the point...he writes RAVE reviews on the canon line, he LOVED the canon line for the entire time he shot with it...and has done some AMAZING write ups on shooting in adverse conditions. I am not saying that he's going to get better because he switched camera. I'm interested in seeing how he likes shooting with the nikon line in similar conditions, and I'm interested in reading his write ups on the various aspects of the system since I respect his opinion based on his experience.

Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
What will he say about Nikon? Probably that it is superior.

I don't think it's about picking a winner and a loser. And for the record, Canon subsidized him while he was shooting with them too.

quazimoto
03-26-2010, 06:22 PM
You'd be wrong about just how good photos would look. The tools you use determine how everything looks. Knowledge and experience are important but to say you couldn't tell the difference between a rebel XSI and Hasselblad shot would be absurd.

He had posted the stuff earlier and he wasn't really bashing either company. All he really said was that the 1D Mark IV was a great disappointment. He didn't like the fact they stuck to the crop sensor in the 1D body when so many pro's were asking for a full frame sensor. He then went on to say that the D3s really blew him away when he had the opportunity to use it. He didn't want to wait for the 1Ds Mark IV to come out and realized the D3x had the upgrades over the 1Ds that he really wanted.

Go4Long
03-26-2010, 06:27 PM
"Where’s my Canon 1D Mark IV field review? Good question! There has been less activity on this field review site in 2010. This is due in part to hard work with my Svalbard book project, photo workshops and expeditions. I have also had more problems than expected in getting a Canon 1D Mark IV camera for some serious field testing. For some reason I have not been given priority and the result has been only 3 days in the field with the camera. This is much too short a time to give you a field review especially regarding AF in different situations. To be honest, the Canon 1D Mark IV seems to be not that impressive compared to the Canon 7D I already had. Four weeks ago I needed a fast camera for some action shots of the fast flying hawk owl. I couldn´t get a 1D Mark IV camera, and I was so frustrated that I called Nikon and asked them if I could borrow the new Nikon D3S camera. No problem! In the kit bags were also the Nikon D3X and different lenses: 14-24/2.8, 70-200/2.8 II, 300/2.8, 400/2.8, 500/4 and 600/4. Almost immediately I canceled my cooperation with Canon as a “Canon Master”. I had never used Nikon D3 cameras before, but after only one hour I got extremely satisfying results, and after two hour I was convinced! Especially the D3S; it was extremely fast and precise, and the image quality even at ISO 2500 at sunset really shocked me. The following weeks I did more field tests with fast moving birds, high ISO shooting and difficult light conditions. After 5000 exposures I was so happy with the image quality, sharpness and colors of my pictures from Nikon D3S and Nikon D3X, that I decided to sell all my Canon gear. This was a shocking decision for me, Canon and my photo colleagues. I´m 100% sure that this was the right decision. Image quality for me is very important, and I don´t see any reason why I shouldn´t use the best equipment available. The photographer is still the most important part of creating a photograph, but I also appreciate good equipment. I have always loved to shoot with full frame cameras like the Canon 1DS and 5D cameras. I was very disappointed when Canon was still using the 1.3 crop factor in its new 1D Mark IV. I’ve been waiting for the 1DS Mark IV, but 2 weeks ago I suddenly discovered that this camera already existed as the Nikon D3X. The Nikon D3X has almost everything that I have been waiting for as an upgrade for my old 1DS Mark III. So now I’m already shooting with my “1DS Mark IV”. A week ago I also accepted an offer from Nikon to become a Nikon Ambassador. It is strange to shift so fast from Canon to Nikon, but when I decided to sell my Canon gear it was normal to partner with Nikon. I´m now very happy to be on the Nikon team, and with in my opinion the best camera equipment on the market. So what happens now? First of all, I will do no more Canon field reviews, and I will delete all Canon field reviews from this site. I will soon redirect this site to nikonfieldreviews.com where I will do both Nikon field tests and articles about photography (not only gear). I will still focus on image quality and how equipment functions and handles in the field. Secondly, I will cooperate with my good friend and photographer Roy Mangersnes when building up the new nikonfieldreviews.com. I will also focus more on getting support from sponsors etc. so it’s possible to publish field reviews more often. Finally, I want to thank all of you loyal readers for your interest in my field tests, and I hope at least that some of you will follow me over to the new site. All the best! OJL "

The original post before he edited it...

G-Suede
03-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Gee. Thanks. :facepalm:

First post on this subforum?

Go4Long
03-27-2010, 12:57 AM
I want to do one of this guys polar bear expeditions. Think if I drop hints to the fiance she'll take me on the honeymoon? Lol

HondaKid
03-27-2010, 12:59 AM
From the removed article:

"The photographer is still the most important part of creating a photograph".

See I was right.

Some of you have missed my point, odd really as some seem so intent on appearing bright and all knowing. Such is the field of photography and most other arts, more talk than actually doing (shooting). He will love another camera, big deal life goes on. Ever love anything then moved onto love another?

Canon, Nikon, frickin' any "on"... all the same. Might as well discuss which ocean is greater, Pacific or Atlantic...

EvolizePhoto
03-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Some of you have missed my point, odd really as some seem so intent on appearing bright and all knowing. Such is the field of photography and all other arts, more talk than actually shooting. He will love another camera, big deal life goes on. Ever love anything then moved onto love another?

Canon, Nikon, frickin' any "on"... all the same. Might as well discuss which ocean is greater, Pacific or Atlantic... Indian Ocean is greater.

HondaKid
03-27-2010, 01:11 AM
Indian is right, as is Nikon, although I secretly wish I had stuck with Canon. Looking to switch back.... never settled.

quazimoto
03-27-2010, 07:57 AM
Again you'd be wrong. Walk into a Peter Lik gallery and ask them if they think Peter could make those identical prints using a Rebel XSI.

The photographer is very important. You can't expect results of a ferrari though if you are using the engine of a honda. The camera equipment leads a huge part in just how good some photos look printed huge.