PDA

View Full Version : 2009 r6 issue

JimmyBurner
03-26-2010, 06:39 PM
My 2009 r6r was stolen from my apartment complex about a month ago. Surprisingly enough, police recovered it without a single scratch on it and I just got it back about 4 days ago. Here's my problem, when they stole it they broke off the ignition piece and i'm assuming they hotwired it. There is a red wire, brown wire, blue and black wire, and blue and yellow wire. All of these were cut in half. I put these wires back together and the dash comes on, fuel pump comes on, but nothing else. Try to start it and nothing. Now I'm a beginner mechanic but I've taken a damn testlight and voltmeter to every part of the bike, fuses all good, starter relay good, fuel pump relay good, everything. Only thing i can think of is loose wiring somewhere else, but I can't find a wiring diagram for it. I've priced out a new ignition and gas cap and trunk lock for about 250 on ebay, I just need to get the bike running so I can take it to my shop.

Go4Long
03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Take it to a more experienced mechanic and send the bill to your insurance company...your theft coverage should cover all repairs related to the theft.

kevie88
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
The ignition is coded to the key, if the reciever of the key code is broken (ignition switch) the ECU will call for a NO START condition. The bike will not start.

Sounds like they broke the ignition switch reciever. I don't know if you can buy just an ignition switch alone and have that fix the problem.. I can try to find out for you on Monday.

Probably a good thing, they most likely didn't ride the bike at all. Be thankful you found the inexperienced joyriding type thief haha

japan_us
03-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear that. I live in a condo, so the bikes are sitting in a parkade as well. I have a motorcycle chain lock for them, but when spring hits, I never use it since I'm always on and off the bike. I guess a few seconds to put on/remove it is worth the piece of mind, eh?

Anyways, glad they found it. As mentioned, I'd just take it in. Better to have it looked at by a pro, just to be safe.

kevie88
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
nevermind, I just logged into work and took a look at the fiche and service manual for your bike. Luckily the key is coded to the ECU and not to the lock.. the immobilizer part of the lock (black surrounding piece) is available seperately, Yamaha part number is 2C0-8255P-10-00. The retail price is $391.81.

You'll need this part to get the bike going again.

JimmyBurner
03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Now is this standard on canadian bikes only or bikes in the states too, because this is in washington and I've read that only canadian bikes come with the coded key, immobilizer, etc.

kevie88
03-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Damn, now you stumped me haha

I'm pretty sure 09-10 bikes in the US have it too.. lemme see if I can find out.

kevie88
03-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Nope, I'm wrong. No immobiliser in the US. Just get a new ignition switch and lock set. You should be good to go.

JimmyBurner
03-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Thats what I was thinkin. Now when I get a new ignition, how would I go about putting the plastic piece back on the ignition where the key goes, and I still don't get why the bike wouldnt work as usual, sinse all the key does is turns the plastic piece so the leads touch and turn the dash on... I'm stumped too lol