PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Forces Vehicle Technician

thedave
03-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Looking to get feedback from individuals who have gone through or are currently working as a vehicle, or aircraft technician for the Canadian Forces.

Would you recommend joining the CF for these programs or going through an apprenticeship locally? Payed schooling, full benefits, bi-weekly pay checks etc are looking really good right now lol

Any information is great!

Cheers,

Ven
03-27-2010, 09:38 AM
I can give some related feedback. I worked with two guys formerly from the DND while doing my automotive apprenticeship. As former vehicle techs their skills were the most transferable into the civilian world and they were successful and generally happy in their trade. Both REGRET ever leaving the Forces. VERY STRONGLY REGRET it. They say once you get through the BS at the beginning and put your time in you start to see the money, position, and stability come into play making it a really sweet gig according to them. Good luck to you Dave!

Rat Fink
03-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I could definately see them regretting leaving the forces....especially if they were to drop into a civilian automotive shop paying flat rate to their guys. I imagine that would be a shock if they weren't used to that. Going from the military into HD mechanics wouldn't be so bad since most HD guys are on straight time.

n1zm0
03-27-2010, 04:14 PM
if youre ever going to come over the general/commercial aviation from military, youre going to still have to go back to a T.C certified training school. i.e SAIT or ICS and do your apprentice logbook im sure

you can work 10 years in military aviation and still not be eligible for an AME M1/M2 iirc, gotta goto school

Tik-Tok
03-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by thedave
Looking to get feedback from individuals who have gone through or are currently working as a vehicle, or aircraft technician for the Canadian Forces.

Would you recommend joining the CF for these programs or going through an apprenticeship locally? Payed schooling, full benefits, bi-weekly pay checks etc are looking really good right now lol

Any information is great!

Cheers,

There's already a thread on aircraft tech's if you search, but basically, civilian aviation sucks. As I tell anyone looking into it...

1) Good pay
2) Good hours
3) Good working environment.

Pick 2. I've been an AME for 8 years now, and it doesn't look like it's getting better.

My brother joined the C.F., finished his initial training, and is now posted at Cold Lake for the same thing. The pay scale is slightly lower than civilian (unless you become an officer), and he has good hours, and good working environment. However, I've never met a any AME's coming out of the military that were worth anything in the civilian side. It's a completely different world.

They train in one area of an aircraft, and that's all they do. Where-as, in civil aviation, you have to know the whole aircraft, and all it's systems.

So the forces are good, as long as you stay in it.

D. Dub
03-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Does the Canadian Military drug test? Always wondered...

baygirl
03-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Does the Canadian Military drug test? Always wondered...
Yes, there's a pre-enrollment test, and then random drug tests after you join.

jutes
03-28-2010, 09:29 PM
My brother joined the C.F., finished his initial training, and is now posted at Cold Lake for the same thing.

You remember what squadron?

Tik-Tok
03-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by jutes

You remember what squadron?

No idea, he just xferred in January, but we don't talk much.