PDA

View Full Version : Claiming accident repairs 3 weeks later

VDubbez86
03-27-2010, 10:25 AM
So about 3 weeks ago I got into a minor accident on Barlow tr heading north. I was driving through the intersection through a orange turning red, stupidly I looked back to see if there was a red light camera and when I turned my head back around I noticed I was to close to stop so I slammed on the breaks and went into the first car.

Get out we start to check everyone’s car because apparently he slammed into the guy in front of him, the car I hit was fine minor paint removed he said he could care less, the guy in front of him had a minor scratch on his 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS which I ignored he told me he would take it in get it looked at I said sure. that was it stupidly I took no pictures of his bumper because it was fine minus a 2 maybe 3 cm scratch.

Anyways he calls me last night tells me yeah his whole rear bumper needs to be removed and that I owe him $955 at this point I ask him why he didn't call me right away why 3 weeks later. He tells me he was on a family vacation and just got back now im pretty sure he drove his car all they way across the country on this vacation and just returned and decided he needs a new bumper.

Anyone know anything that can be done? On the scene no police reports were filed nothing was done he just took my name and number since everything on there cars were minor my car got messed up though.

soloracer
03-27-2010, 10:33 AM
In believe that in a multi vehicle collision your insurance company would only pay for the vehicle you hit. If the guy you hit got pushed into someone else his insurance would have to pay for it. Doesn't sound fair to me but I believe that is how it goes. So legally the guy may not have a leg to stand on.

However, since you are doing this outside of insurance I say buck up, pay the bill and be happy it wasn't much more. Any little scratch will cost $1000 to fix these days. Take responsibility - it was your fault after all.

GTS4tw
03-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by VDubbez86
So about 3 weeks ago I got into a minor accident on Barlow tr heading north. I was driving through the intersection through a orange turning red, stupidly I looked back to see if there was a red light camera and when I turned my head back around I noticed I was to close to stop so I slammed on the breaks and went into the first car.

Get out we start to check everyone’s car because apparently he slammed into the guy in front of him, the car I hit was fine minor paint removed he said he could care less, the guy in front of him had a minor scratch on his 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS which I ignored he told me he would take it in get it looked at I said sure. that was it stupidly I took no pictures of his bumper because it was fine minus a 2 maybe 3 cm scratch.

Anyways he calls me last night tells me yeah his whole rear bumper needs to be removed and that I owe him $955 at this point I ask him why he didn't call me right away why 3 weeks later. He tells me he was on a family vacation and just got back now im pretty sure he drove his car all they way across the country on this vacation and just returned and decided he needs a new bumper.

Anyone know anything that can be done? On the scene no police reports were filed nothing was done he just took my name and number since everything on there cars were minor my car got messed up though.

If I read this right, you rear ended someone due to driving like a moron risking everyone else on the road, now you want to get out of paying for minor repairs to a car?? Be glad it wasn't a pedestrian you hit, pay the money and move on.

Wow, wtf is wrong with people.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I think soloracer is right, but you might as well just pay anyway, its not that much.

Masked Bandit
03-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
In believe that in a multi vehicle collision your insurance company would only pay for the vehicle you hit. If the guy you hit got pushed into someone else his insurance would have to pay for it. Doesn't sound fair to me but I believe that is how it goes. So legally the guy may not have a leg to stand on.

However, since you are doing this outside of insurance I say buck up, pay the bill and be happy it wasn't much more. Any little scratch will cost $1000 to fix these days. Take responsibility - it was your fault after all.

Assuming the first vehicle you hit was stopped you will be liable for BOTH vehicles. Open your wallet, pay for the bumper. Or don't, and suffer the insurance increases for the next six years.

Oh ya, quit driving like a douche. You raced through a (probably) red light (or you wouldn't have been worried about a camera) and didn't see traffic stopped in front of you?

Kloubek
03-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Solution is pretty simple I think. Tell him that you'll pay for the damage you made to this car, and go to his house. Check out the bumper to ensure there is no extra damage which would justify a higher repair bill. Make sure his repair bill is legit. And pay the man.

Unknown303
03-27-2010, 11:34 AM
And next time you see a yellow light. That means start to slow down. Not start looking behind you to make sure a camera doesn't catch you doing something wrong.

Dumbass17
03-27-2010, 11:35 AM
lol

bjstare
03-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I would assume the first vehicle OP hit wasn't stopped; if it was stopped, there would be some serious damage to both cars if he hit it hard enough to push it into the following car, not just minor stuff that the driver didn't care about. If this is the case, tell the guy who wants you to pay to suck it.

(In no way am I condoning OP's bad driving)

2EFNFAST
03-27-2010, 11:59 AM
That 955 total seems kind of suspicous - it's just right under the 1000 mark where you have to file a police report.

He may (or maybe not) be trying to wring you out for as much as possible without having to go file a police report.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Assuming the first vehicle you hit was stopped you will be liable for BOTH vehicles. Open your wallet, pay for the bumper. Or don't, and suffer the insurance increases for the next six years.

Won't doubt you since you're the insurance expert, but I always thought that in cases of that it was a chain of insurance events because if you get driven into the person infront of you, technically you were stopped with not enough distance between cars. Kind of like how, in most cases, it doesn't matter why you hit somebody from behind, you're at fault for following too closesly.

Pollywog
03-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Tell him to go fuck himself. If he wants to attempt to sue, so be it - but I almost guarantee he will be SOL as I believe it is the guy in the middle of you two who would actually be responsible pending that all vehicles were in motion rather than a complete stop.

Either way, ask him to fax you the quotes that he recieved.

Weapon_R
03-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Won't doubt you since you're the insurance expert, but I always thought that in cases of that it was a chain of insurance events because if you get driven into the person infront of you, technically you were stopped with not enough distance between cars. Kind of like how, in most cases, it doesn't matter why you hit somebody from behind, you're at fault for following too closesly.

In that case lets see how far a Semi drags your car if he rear ends you.

Masked Bandit
03-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
That 955 total seems kind of suspicous - it's just right under the 1000 mark where you have to file a police report.

He may (or maybe not) be trying to wring you out for as much as possible without having to go file a police report.

It's changed over the years but if there are ten cars stopped and a semi hits the last car and piles up all ten, how far back was the guy in the middle supposed to be? The guy at the back pays for everything assuming all vehicles were stopped.

Masked Bandit
03-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

In that case lets see how far a Semi drags your car if he rear ends you.

This. And I can actually speak from personal experience. I was number two in a four car line that got hit & piled up by a guy driving a half ton that didn't even hit his brakes. All costs were back charged to the truck.

Masked Bandit
03-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Tell him to go fuck himself. If he wants to attempt to sue, so be it - but I almost guarantee he will be SOL as I believe it is the guy in the middle of you two who would actually be responsible pending that all vehicles were in motion rather than a complete stop.

Either way, ask him to fax you the quotes that he recieved.

I wouldn't play it like that. The guy in the middle is going to claim he was at a dead stop. If he admits to being in motion then he knows he may be on the hook for the front of his car and the back of the VW. He'll say he was stopped, everything gets charged back to OP. OP's insurance rates go up 15% - 40% a year for six years which is going to be a pot more money than the $955.

OP should get out his wallet.

Dilmah
03-27-2010, 01:19 PM
Did your car push car #2 into car #1? If not then don't pay. If it did then make sure you get the qoute fro the repair shop and tell him you want the old parts that you're paying for

bignerd
03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I think if you say your not going to pay, then car #2 is going to go to car #1 and try to put it through his insurance, car #1 and #2 then may contact your insurance company. Car #1 that you pushed into the other car is not liable for the damaged bumper so not really fair to try and stick it on him (not saying you will but some people are suggesting you do that). Maybe by that time car #1 will decide he wants his bumper fixed too and you will be out even more...

If it is $955 can't you ask him to send you the quotes or meet him somewhere for quote so then you know the price is not being messed with?

I don't know, to get a whole bumper repainted, they charge to take the bumper off, prepare it (sand, tape, remove reflectors etc), labor for paiting, putting everything back together, putting it back on the car etc... seems every minor scuff or whatever these days costs a $1000 to fix.

adidas
03-27-2010, 05:29 PM
A vw rear bumper + paint doesnt even amount to the total he is mentioning. Might wanna look into his body shop quote and see what is getting repaired.

Pollywog
03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
I think when you find out this guy is trying to scam cash out of you, you should post all of his information here so we can allow the public spectacle to begin. Something doesn't sound right here...

Pollywog
03-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Dbl post

Shlade
03-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Ask for a quote, if he gives you a quote and don't trust it.. Make an agreement to take his car to a shop of your choice and get a quote there.. Simple as that. Shitty what happened tho man.. Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago, no damage to my car, I tapped the mans rear end gently on his suzuki suv and made a tiny tiny crack on his wheel holder on the trunk.. Not a big deal, he was very nice, shit happens tho sometimes its not avoidable.. Best of luck to ya

btimbit
03-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
Ask for a quote, if he gives you a quote and don't trust it.. Make an agreement to take his car to a shop of your choice and get a quote there.. Simple as that.

This ^

RY213
03-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

If I read this right, you rear ended someone due to driving like a moron risking everyone else on the road, now you want to get out of paying for minor repairs to a car?? Be glad it wasn't a pedestrian you hit, pay the money and move on.

Wow, wtf is wrong with people.

Youre an idiot

Unknown303
03-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by RY213

Youre an idiot

no you are.

Since we're playing this game now.

2EFNFAST
03-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

no you are.

Since we're playing this game now.

I have a penis

:)

//I'm not certain what this has to do with anything, but since the thread is heading downhill......

Shlade
03-28-2010, 11:41 PM
^

Have you used it yet?

2EFNFAST
03-29-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
^

Have you used it yet?

I went pee 5 minutes ago. Does that count :confused:

Tik-Tok
03-29-2010, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by adidas
A vw rear bumper + paint doesnt even amount to the total he is mentioning. Might wanna look into his body shop quote and see what is getting repaired.

Sure it does.

Bumper cover MSRP $325
Impact bar (rebar) MSRP $105
Left absorber MSRP $105
Right absorber MSRP $105

So you're looking at minimum $640 in parts, plus labour to paint and install. $1000 seems right to me :dunno:

2Valve0
03-29-2010, 01:57 AM
I think first off...OP people like you are the reason I dislike Calgary drivers, dumb asses to say the least.

But now from the insurance perspective, obviously if you don't pay the guy your risking going to the insurance as said before and it will cost you WAY more than paying him. What I would do is just go meet him and see his quote. Look at the bumper, take it to the cheapest body shop you or a friend knows, and get there quote, then tell the dude to go there. :dunno:
After you pay for it even if they did shity work fk it it's out of your hands and you move on.

Weapon_R
03-29-2010, 02:02 AM
What makes you guys think that the guy is obligated to take it to the OP's bodyshop of choice? If someone hit me and told me his buddy would fix it, I'd tell him where to go. Fact is, he's already doing you a huge favor by agreeing to fix it privately and suggesting your backalley mechanic will not bode well.

2Valve0
03-29-2010, 02:09 AM
What makes you guys think that the guy is obligated to take it to the OP's bodyshop of choice? If someone hit me and told me his buddy would fix it, I'd tell him where to go. Fact is, he's already doing you a huge favor by agreeing to fix it privately and suggesting your backalley mechanic will not bode well.

Obviously you don't say "hey let's take this car to some machanic that does shity work that I know" you just suggest to get a second opinion? Sure the guy could say no, if I was him I would take you to insurance just for being a fucking idiot or make you pay me $500 on top of what I was quoted for going private.

Dilmah
03-29-2010, 06:55 AM

This guy is correct.

I had someone hit me a few years ago and when I e-mailed him the quote of $495 he tried to lowball me and offered me half... That's when I told him to forget about it and I'll go through insurance, half hour later he was at my door with $550 cash. It really didn't make much sense to my why he thought he could negotiate a price with me and then he must have thought I was mad and gave me more then the quote. Like I said, get the quote from him, talk to the body shop to be sure it's real and pay the guy, then make sure you get him to sign something so he can't come after you later.
If you're still unsure then ask him for all the parts that you're paying for. One way of covering your ass is to pay him upfront and have him sign something, then when he gets it fixed and the body shop charges him extra for something unseen you're off the hook because you've already signed an agreement.

Vanner
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Well, it's better to pay out to the guy for the rear bumper and save your headache with your insurance in avoiding the increasing rates! I had the same thing happened few years ago - I had bumped to another car's rear bumper one winter season (there was black ice on road) upon at red light when i tried to slow down for that.

What I did? The driver and I had reached to an agreement to not report our insurance and police and I paid for the repairs at my choice of bodyshop. I even offered the guy a rental car for one day.

All done and he was happy with his car. Me? I was out about $250 + car rental for that repair. Took only one day. I think you should do that!