PDA

View Full Version : Changing colour

santafe
03-28-2010, 05:16 AM
I just bought at 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe 4WD, 6CYL with 40k for 14,800 with all taxes included.

Colour is silver and my wife is set on a dark blue. Engine is great the ride is fantastic, so I am thinking that we can get 7-10 years out of it, therefore the paintjob is not a bad idea.

Can anyone give me an idea of what to ask from a body shop? I saw other postings and saw the big differences in pricing (1-3.5k). I hoping to pay 2K. How many coats of primer, coats paint do I need? Is one paint manufacturer or one type of paint superior? Only minor door damage and minor scratches on one corner of the bumper.

No other work will be done... so obviously not a show car, but I figure with a nice colour it will turn heads.

I hope you can give me some advice.

tom_9109
03-29-2010, 01:21 AM
Advice.

Don't change the color.

Idratherbsidewayz
03-29-2010, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
Advice.

Don't change the color.

Great advice!!

Especially don't change the color if you only plan on spending 2k.

Mr_ET
03-29-2010, 08:45 AM
Color changes are a bit more than 3 times what you want to spend when they are done decently well. Probably more than 4-5 times if you want a FULL color change:thumbsup:

duaner
03-29-2010, 09:39 AM
I went to one of the recommended body shops last summer to get a quote on repainting the car due to door dings, rock chips, and clear coat cracking/peeling. To keep the same colour I was given a quick quote of $7000 ($700/panel X 10 panels). He asked if I really wanted a detailed quote which would take him about an hour and include a closer look at what really needed to be done.

We both quickly agreed that the car isn't worth a $7000+ paint job.

If your wife really wants dark blue, sell it and get one that is dark blue. It'll probably be cheaper.