PDA

View Full Version : Wheeling General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

FraserB
03-28-2010, 08:31 PM
New thread for all the chit chat about where to wheel, recommendations for upgrades and general wheeling talk and pictures.

**Note for posting pictures**

Due to the Alberta government's stance on 4x4 ans OHV use, please try to have the consent of the owner before posting offroad pictures. Blurring license plates in pictures is also recommended. Try not to post specific trail locations or areas in the city(on road pics).

Alak
03-29-2010, 09:51 AM
Thought I'd post a little blurb.

I been doin some moonlight driving around the outskirts of calgary, untilizing my backroads mapbook and GPS. I've found ALOT more roads than I expected that are pure carnage/trail. My mapbook shows roads that were planned, but never built. So its totally legal, but the years of weather (and other moonlight drivers) has turned it into a bit of fun. I found a couple last night, one of them was even immpassable. Another had a honda civic randomly stuck with some very fine ladies driving. Needless to say, they were greatful for the assistance.

And I've only hit the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of incomplete byways. One even showed as a road on my GPS, but was hardly a road at all!

JfuckinC
03-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Alak
Thought I'd post a little blurb.

I been doin some moonlight driving around the outskirts of calgary, untilizing my backroads mapbook and GPS. I've found ALOT more roads than I expected that are pure carnage/trail. My mapbook shows roads that were planned, but never built. So its totally legal, but the years of weather (and other moonlight drivers) has turned it into a bit of fun. I found a couple last night, one of them was even immpassable. Another had a honda civic randomly stuck with some very fine ladies driving. Needless to say, they were greatful for the assistance.

And I've only hit the tip of the iceberg. There are hundreds of incomplete byways. One even showed as a road on my GPS, but was hardly a road at all!

Haha, my friends and i used to do this east of town all the time, there is some pretty funny sections to try and get through in the most obvious places!

ercchry
03-29-2010, 09:56 AM
i think i found a road like that on the weekend, but the girlfriend thought it was a farmer's field and she was afraid of getting shot at so we left :D

Alak
03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I just started exploring to the east, theres ALOT. I was doing the south before, and theres a few, but its hard to tell whats a byway and whats farmers land. South has more mud because its not as exposed to the sun (theres alot of trees).

The east has some MAD flexing so far.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Good news! NP242 transfer case swap went well.

Bad news! The goddamn shift linkage won't stay connected where it meets the TC, it just pops out when I go 4LO - N. :banghead:

Alak
04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Its always something small eh.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Yeah no kidding. Turns out I needed to install the bushing on the shift tab before inserting the shift linkage into it. I'd put the bushing on the linkage and then inserted the whole thing into the shift tab. Not a big difference, but enough that now my TC shifts without falling out, haha.

Alak
04-03-2010, 02:37 PM
I tried to take off the link for the sway bar today in my rover, and the drivers side is completely seized. Worse is that its loose, so it rattles.

I'll have to cut it out when I get my JKS quick disconnects, if I can ever afford them.

EDIT: Im looking for:

JKS “Quicker Disconnects™”, TJ, 1997-03 w/ 2-1/2"-6" lift; Cherokee, 1984-01 w/ 3 1/2 - 6" lift; Grand Cherokee, 1993-98 w/ 4 1/2" - 6" lift
Product Number: 2001

If anyone has a pair their parting with, etc.

ercchry
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I just started exploring to the east, theres ALOT. I was doing the south before, and theres a few, but its hard to tell whats a byway and whats farmers land. South has more mud because its not as exposed to the sun (theres alot of trees).

The east has some MAD flexing so far.

so i went exploring out to the east, i think i need some guidance... since i only found one road... and it was really short and easy.

range road 274 north of 22x till it hits the next road

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=146+Avenue+Southeast,+Calgary,+Alberta&sll=50.940366,-113.534603&sspn=0.043268,0.105915&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=146+Ave+SE,+Calgary,+Alberta&ll=50.909636,-113.699226&spn=0.010824,0.026479&t=h&z=15

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Info on where these spots/roads are would be great!

Alak
04-13-2010, 07:10 PM
I was up north of trans canada, around inverlake rd if I recall. Twp 282 maybe? I'll have to check the mapbook.

The book I have is called the backroads mapbook. It details all the roads that may, or may not exsist. Also had hiking trails and that sort of thing too. Theres a digital version availiable from their website.

Some of the roads it lists as incomplete are on my GPS as complete. Only, they arnt complete. Some were impassable.

I dont have my GPS anymore. Someone borrowed it. Permanently.

Tarzan
04-13-2010, 11:09 PM
I would not post directions as the whole world is looking and there has been many cases of what can go wrong. Maybe arrange a Sat meet and show a few people where the roads are but keep it low key off the net sort of thing.

Alak
04-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Its a public road. Its got signage, its on a map, and its got a name. Its like posting where the trans canada highway is.

Although, I get the point your trying to make.

ercchry
04-14-2010, 08:14 AM
yeah that road had an awesome sign too! haha "this road might be unpassable" ... but it was way too much hype then what it really was :( ...only thing that might get stuck is a sports car

Alak
04-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Go there after a monsoon. You'll be there for awhile.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Theres a road up here in the NW (Rocky Ridge Road I think) and it turns into a little dirt road with a sign that says road may be impassable. I took the Jeep down there about a month and a half ago, it wasnt impassable, but there was some huge snow drifts and a lot of mud, was a fun waste of time, and than another guy in a lifted Jeep showed up, presumably just to waste time as well.

Alak
04-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Thats the fun of it. You just drive around, find a couple roads that 'may be impassable' and screw around. Sometimes you meet people along the way. Like a stranded civic with 3 smokin hot blondes in it.

Alak
04-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Im getting excited about mclean. Less than two weeks.

Unknown303
04-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Should be fun. And I have the 30th until the 6th off coming up here.

Alak
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
I was feelin a run on the 2nd, just to get a feeler for it. Im waiting on some parts so I dont want to go hard.

ercchry
04-24-2010, 01:02 PM
mclean?

Unknown303
04-24-2010, 01:43 PM
We should do a Mclean run.

Alak
04-24-2010, 08:26 PM
We'll do many mclean runs. Dont worry.

ercchry
04-24-2010, 10:31 PM
awesome! found another road!

went up to inverlake road and found a pretty awesome, pretty long road, i would highly recommend it tonight with all this rain/snow

there was about 3 or 4 times that i thought i was getting stuck for sure in 4 high... but i didn't :( ...so still have yet to try out 4 low and the lockers...

but yeah, north of inverlake rd on range rd 273

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.06779,-113.702166&spn=0.00658,0.013433&t=h&z=16

SKR
04-25-2010, 07:00 AM
These roads that you guys are going on and tearing up, even though they may not look like anything important they are still roads used by locals and they need to be fixed after they get full of ruts. That's paid for by the taxpayers. We've got roads like these around our farm, and when it's wet we all stay off them because they're hard to fix when they get fucked up.

They're public roads and you have every right to be on them, so do whatever you want. But what you're doing does fuck things up for the people that actually need to use the roads, and the cost to fix them isn't being paid by you.

Alak
04-25-2010, 12:55 PM
Its not us that rips up the roads. There are bigger, badder road ripping machines out there. Hell, I've cleaned more living room sets off the side of alot of these roads than most people care to imagine.

ercchry
04-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Not to mention that the two I posted have perfectly good gravel roads all around them that will take you to the same places as these roads will

SKR
04-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Its not us that rips up the roads. There are bigger, badder road ripping machines out there. Hell, I've cleaned more living room sets off the side of alot of these roads than most people care to imagine.

Sorry, I don't mean you guys are specifically and solely responsible. I'm more just saying in general that this is inconvenient for other people.

Originally posted by ercchry
Not to mention that the two I posted have perfectly good gravel roads all around them that will take you to the same places as these roads will

Maybe this specific road offers no access to anything that you can't get access to from somewhere else. But if it's like any other road, it gives access to land that you can't access from other points. See the attached picture, and I'll show you what I mean.

It should be easy enough to follow, but the brown is roads and the green is farmland (or whatever). Assume the road on the left is the bladed dirt road that you're driving down, and the top, bottom and right are gravel roads. Assume that each of the green squares are quarter sections. This is how western Canada is surveyed. North/southbound roads are one mile apart, east/westbound roads are two miles apart. Whether there's a road there or not, there is an allowance of 66 feet for a road to be built. These road allowances envelop 2 full sections, or 8 quarter sections. Notice on the left hand side, the two middle quarter sections only have access from the left hand road. If you're out there cutting it up, you're making the people who own those two quarters pound through your ruts. And whether there's another access point or not, the county will run a grader up and down the road to fix it. And the cost for fuel, labor and wear and tear will be paid by the taxpayers of that county (not just the owners of those two quarter sections).

I don't care what you guys do. It has nothing to do with me, and like I said, they're public roads and you are allowed to use them. But most people who know consider it a courtesy to not drive down them when it's muddy because the guy that has to drive down it suffers. If I saw people I didn't recognize doing that to a road I had to use, I'd stop them and tell them what I'm telling you. I wouldn't be able to make them leave, but I'd try to explain how it affects me.

I'm not saying you're assholes, I just wanted to make you aware of something I didn't think you were aware of.

SKR
04-25-2010, 05:49 PM
I could have sworn I attached the picture to the previous post. I could also be an idiot, so it's hard to say what happened. Let's try again.

Alak
04-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I get what your saying. Im sorry if we conveyed the wrong message here of how we use these public places. Although I cant speak for everyone here, I think most of the fellas here use these roads fairly responsibly, and that alot of these places havent been serviced in many many years - meaning that, over time, they can procure a collection of ruts from various vehicles, equipment - not to mention weather wear and tear.

I think the message your trying to convey is simply to respect the land. I hear that.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
04-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Rocky Ridge Road was dry as a bone Friday. Went yesterday around 6, was a little slippery, nothing 2WD had problems with though. Some decent size ruts are forming, tryed to drive on top of them to beat them down.

SKR
04-25-2010, 08:56 PM
I get what your saying. Im sorry if we conveyed the wrong message here of how we use these public places. Although I cant speak for everyone here, I think most of the fellas here use these roads fairly responsibly, and that alot of these places havent been serviced in many many years - meaning that, over time, they can procure a collection of ruts from various vehicles, equipment - not to mention weather wear and tear.

I think the message your trying to convey is simply to respect the land. I hear that.

Yeah, that's all I wanted to get across, just consider other people when you're out and about. For their sake, and yours in the event that you run into a landowner or county mountie who isn't in a good mood.

ercchry
04-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by SKR

Yeah, that's all I wanted to get across, just consider other people when you're out and about. For their sake, and yours in the event that you run into a landowner or county mountie who isn't in a good mood.

yeah i get what you are saying too, but with at least the two roads i posted they seem to have no use at all, the second one i posted the first 250m or so on the north end of it look to have a use but that section is also gravel, not dirt/mud

the only things i could see using these roads would be large farm equipment and i do not see my little jeep doing enough damage to effect them using these roads still

SKR
04-26-2010, 06:21 AM

yeah i get what you are saying too, but with at least the two roads i posted they seem to have no use at all, the second one i posted the first 250m or so on the north end of it look to have a use but that section is also gravel, not dirt/mud

I can only speak in general because I don't know the roads you're specifically talking about. But almost every north/southbound municipal road in Alberta provides access to at least two pieces of land that can't be accessed from another road. That might be the only use it has, but it's still a use. It wouldn't be there if there was no reason to have it.

the only things i could see using these roads would be large farm equipment and i do not see my little jeep doing enough damage to effect them using these roads still

Farm equipment is slow and there's no suspension. The axles are bolted right to the frame. So you feel every little thing, and you feel it for a long time because you aren't going faster than 15-20 miles per hour. It's worse with farm equipment than a car or truck. Trust me when I tell you, it sucks, especially when you know it was done by someone who didn't need to be on that road to begin with.

Maybe it won't make a difference with the roads you're on. But I'm telling you, whether or not the road serves a purpose, and whether or not it's already damaged, none of the locals want you out there. Probably none of them will say anything, and at worst you might get asked to go somewhere else, but every once in a while you'll come across someone who wants to make it a problem and then it doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong. You're a city person in the country. An outsider causing problems. You're going to be percieved as someone who doesn't belong there, regardless of your legal right to be there.

If nothing else, consider what will happen if you get stuck. I know I wouldn't be moving too fast to pull you out of a situation everyone else knew not to get themselves into. It might be a while before you find someone to drop what they're doing to help you out.

Edit: I'm not saying all this to be a dick, despite its appearance. I'm saying this because I think you need to fully understand your situation before you can assess the impact or your actions.

Hamann
05-13-2010, 10:38 AM
awesome! found another road!

went up to inverlake road and found a pretty awesome, pretty long road, i would highly recommend it tonight with all this rain/snow

there was about 3 or 4 times that i thought i was getting stuck for sure in 4 high... but i didn't :( ...so still have yet to try out 4 low and the lockers...

but yeah, north of inverlake rd on range rd 273

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.06779,-113.702166&spn=0.00658,0.013433&t=h&z=16

I've got a nice little spot out east of town, takes about 20 min or so go get to off deerfoot. Been going out there for about 5 years now with my various vehicles.

Started off I could go through everything with my old stock Explorer no problems. Now I have to watch it cause the ruts are insane, and one of the puddles could swallow my Silverado.

Went out last night because my brother wanted to test out his new tires (F150, Lifted with M/T's on it) and we ended up just using my truck to pull his out whenever it got stuck.

Great little place for teaching the basics of 4x4ing though.

Anyone wants Directions PM me, I would post it on here but over the last few years alot of asshats have been going out there just to dump garbage and shit.

ercchry
05-27-2010, 01:20 PM
so... i left my side and back windows at home today for the jeep, it is raining sideways outside.... i am not too worried about it, but everyone at the office seems to be (about 10 people have come to tell me my widows are off now) so i have been thinking, should i be worried? im thinking it should just dry itself out and life will move on, but it is also a brand new vehicle and there probably is some electronics in it, and i am not sure how well the carpet drys... and if there is an under pad that will stay wet? do i have to remove the carpet for it to dry fully?

Unknown303
05-27-2010, 01:45 PM
so... i left my side and back windows at home today for the jeep, it is raining sideways outside.... i am not too worried about it, but everyone at the office seems to be (about 10 people have come to tell me my widows are off now) so i have been thinking, should i be worried? im thinking it should just dry itself out and life will move on, but it is also a brand new vehicle and there probably is some electronics in it, and i am not sure how well the carpet drys... and if there is an under pad that will stay wet? do i have to remove the carpet for it to dry fully?

If you leave it in some underground parking the same way it should dry right out no problem. I did that to mine all the time. Only thing with mine is the aftermarket stereo doesn't appreciate the water at all.

And then once you've dunked it like I did that one day, your carpets pretty much finished after that.

ercchry
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
yeah the front area of the jeep looks pretty dry... i just have a puddle forming behind the passenger seat :rofl:

... no underground parking for me... or garage... and it is suppose to rain for a few days.... its going to stink haha

Unknown303
05-27-2010, 01:51 PM
At least when you put all the panels on it seals up. Mine doesn't have the bar for the rear panel that clips into the tailgate so water just pours into the back there. But I have no carpet anymore so its all good.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Speaking of tops, I saw you looking for a JK top on CJA. When did you get a JK?

Unknown303
05-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Speaking of tops, I saw you looking for a JK top on CJA. When did you get a JK?

4 years ago :poosie: . It's actually my fiance's so I don't get to take it out to play. So I ditched my big diesel for a Jeep that I could smash up. Next year I'm probably going to pick up an 07 Rubicon though.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Ah, that explains it. :D

Alak
05-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Just wanted to make a couple comments about the snorkel.

I noticed that my upper intake manifold is quite cold now. I mean, before I couldn't lay a hand on it with the engine hot. Now its accually cool to the touch. Also, theres a noticable increase in milage (which doesnt say much since I only get about 13MPG anyways - so it might be 13.5 now). You can hear the engine reverberate though the snorkel under full throttle (which is cool since I can reach it from the drivers seat, so you can feel the air pulses sucking in with your hand) There seems to be more midrange power as well at speed (which I think would be attributed to the ram air effect).

But it could be my imagination.

Alak
05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Had a funny story. I come across this new dodge 4x4 with one tire nosed in a muddy ditch. Guy is stuck for some reason and couldnt back out. Our conversation went like this:

I say: Do you have it in 4 wheel drive?

He says: Whats that?

:facepalm:

BerserkerCatSplat
05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeesh.

Alak
06-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Sensor from Hell:

Theres a little sensor that lets the car know when my centre diff is locked or not. Just a little mickey mouse thing. I broke the tabs where the connectors go off mine long ago, and since I had to manually lock the diff via crawling underneath the car, I never replaced it, but I bought a replacement for the future.

Fast Forward. I've just spent the last couple days installing a proper acuator to use from the cabin. Install the new sensor and watch the tabs break off where the wires connect. Replace them with solder, they break somewhere else. Replace the sensor with another new one, same thing happens. Replace it with a used one, and guess what happens. Only one breaks off. I solder it back on successfully this time, get it in, hook it up. AND it doesnt work.

Sensor from fucking hell. Its like a 50C peice but it comes all the way from the UK.

Sugarphreak
06-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Alak
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
What a load. I hate stealerships. I'd put a set of stock tires you borrow from a buddy on it and roll in, see what they say then.

But I mean, its hardly worth the trouble.

Sugarphreak
06-17-2010, 07:59 AM

Alak
06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
$93 aint bad. Mine was $500 for a re-manufactured unit. New from the stealer over $1200. I didnt have my parts connection back then.

Funny thing is, that if I had an older land rover, I could bolt in any GM powersteering pump.

Try another dealer? I know theres only 1 hummer dealer, but another dealer might be able to honor the warrenty, even if they arnt specific to hummer.

Sugarphreak
06-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Sugarphreak
06-24-2010, 10:00 PM

FraserB
06-24-2010, 11:37 PM
What tools you need? I'm doing my lift this weekend but I can see what I can find.

tubby89
06-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
For f-ks sake... now my truck is now leaking engine oil all over my garage floor. Looks like the front crankshaft pulley seal is toast... sigh.

Not sure what I am going to do now... I really don't want to go to the dealer but I don't have the tools to fix a pulley seal myself.

This engine seems really unreliable, I am really starting to miss my Jeep....

You can rent/borrow a puller tool from Auto Value, Napa, PartSource etc. to help you remove the Harmonic Balancer to get to the timing chain cover and replace the seal. It's a PITA to do though. Maybe give Lemon a call?

Sugarphreak
06-25-2010, 08:03 AM

Unknown303
06-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Looks like it's Jeep time for you.

4 door Rubicon should fit the bill for you.

Sugarphreak
06-25-2010, 10:41 AM

FraserB
06-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Two days of wrenching finished, almost done.;)

Apparently when you buy top of the line shocks, they don't give you bar pins or barpin eliminators.:bullshit:

Sugarphreak
06-26-2010, 10:21 PM

FraserB
06-26-2010, 10:27 PM

This is a Rancho lift?

Rubicon Express 4.5" SuperFlex with Bilstein shocks, JKS and BDS trackbars. If I was to flex it tonight, I would drop two coils and snap 2 brake lines and crunch my fenders. Need new brake lines and the shock conversions to run the Bilsteins since they are loop/loop attachment.

Alak
06-27-2010, 02:17 PM
When I flex my land rover, it just sounds like an old barge sinkin in the ocean.

Sugarphreak
06-27-2010, 05:29 PM

BerserkerCatSplat
06-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Rubicon Express 4.5" SuperFlex with Bilstein shocks, JKS and BDS trackbars. If I was to flex it tonight, I would drop two coils and snap 2 brake lines and crunch my fenders. Need new brake lines and the shock conversions to run the Bilsteins since they are loop/loop attachment.

Ah, you're going with the Blisteins, I was wondering why you had the Ranchos up for sale. I also hear you're selling the Jeep after you put the lift on? Say it isn't so.

Unknown303
06-27-2010, 08:59 PM
If I ever sell my Jeep it is being replaced with another Jeep. Need to have to JK's parked side by side eventually.

Alak
06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
I mentioned a fleet of land rovers once and my wife shot me a death glance.

FraserB
06-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Yeah my truck is more like a brick... no flex, lol.

Nice, that is a huge lift!

I always thought RE put together fairly complete kits, kind of surprised to hear you need additional parts.

They do, I just wanted to replace some of the parts with better, plus I already had the lift but the shocks were a bit too short.

Catsplat; that was just a dig at John, I told him I was gonna put it up for $8,000 to see of someone would bite:nut:

BerserkerCatSplat
06-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

Catsplat; that was just a dig at John, I told him I was gonna put it up for $8,000 to see of someone would bite:nut:

Bahaha, you had me going, I couldn't tell whether you were serious or not. :rofl:

Alak
06-28-2010, 02:22 PM
So I ended up being given an old 86 suzuki quadsport (apparently the first real sport quad). Its complete, but needs a restoration. I was a little skeptical that I would be able to find ANY parts for a machine that old.

Boy was I wrong. I guess millions of people are in love with restoring these machines. They still make every genuine part for the thing. And its all dirt cheap.

Needless to say I was quite surprised when I rolled into Suzuki thinkin I'd have to make the guy work extra hard to find the shit. I swear he hit 3 buttons on the keyboard and bing, here you go.

Sugarphreak
07-06-2010, 09:02 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2010, 09:31 AM

Man, I think my transfer case is toast... I was going up a hill on a residential street this weekend and it suddenly made this huge popping twang. After that it has been making this loud banging noise about 2 or 3 times whenever I accelerate quickly in 1st gear.

Yeah, that could be the chain skipping, but that thing would have to be seriously out of spec for that to happen. Are you sure the banging is coming from the TC?

Sugarphreak
07-06-2010, 10:50 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Sucks either way, let us know how it turns out.

In other news, my front pinion seal is leaking. Hooray. :nut: I really wish 3.73 HP30's weren't so damned rare. Alternatively, I wish D44a's came in 4.10.

Sugarphreak
07-06-2010, 10:53 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Hahaha, it never does. But hey, I may bitch about breaking shit but deep down I love wrenching, haha.

Sugarphreak
07-06-2010, 11:37 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Are the 4.56s stock? How much larger than the stock tire are you running? I know your 5th is a highway gear but damn.

Fuck do I ever need a house with a garage. Having a transfer case/random parts collection in my basement is getting annoying. :nut:

FraserB
07-06-2010, 05:08 PM
I can join the broken down club now too:(

Trackbar had to be cut out and a new mount fabbed, new location so the new trackbar won't hit the diff cover. Sitting on a lift at Jay's for the time being.:cry:

Sugarphreak
07-06-2010, 07:28 PM

Alak
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
I have a buddy that runs 4.56's on his YJ with 35x14.5 tires and its pretty low gearing.

I ran into a guy on the trail on sunday that had a massively lifted SFA Pathy on at least 38" boggers. He broke his track rod mount at the frame and was able to only turn left. When he turned right, the whole axle moved to the right under the truck, and it still went left.

He was right in the middle of top of the world.

I donno if he ever made it out. But it took him about 20 minutes to go 50 feet.

Sugarphreak
07-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Alak
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I was driving my truck on sunday, and turned a corner only to be met with a horrible and incredably loud squealing noise. Upon further investigation, I find that my front right wheel hub is wearing out. The wheel is a little loose. That was the only time it made any noise, even the 100kms I put on it in the last 2 days.

Might be an interesting tech session down the road, its a fairly simple operation to change. I'll be drivin on it for awhile so I hope the wheel stays on until the parts get in hahahaha.

Unknown303
07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Sucks either way, let us know how it turns out.

In other news, my front pinion seal is leaking. Hooray. :nut: I really wish 3.73 HP30's weren't so damned rare. Alternatively, I wish D44a's came in 4.10.

I have a friend with 4.10 HP D30 and 4.10 D35 for a XJ. If your looking for a decent set. Detroit locker in the rear and a ARB air locker in the front. Never installed just rebuilt and sitting around.

I may have a new rig since I ditched the TJ.. stay tuned.

Oh man, that would suck!!

I know 4.56 is low, but is just doesn't seem low enough on my truck at all.

I was looking into re-gearing a little bit and I found out the rear dif would likely be ok though to swap gear sets.

The front on the other hand is a bit more of a pain; 4.56 is the largest gear set they can shove into a 7.63" carrier. Nobody I have found on any of the forums has ever tried to trim and grind on it yet either to get a 4.88 set into it.

Alternatively I would have to swap out the front for a Dana 44 which would have to be custom done; I am not really an expert in this field so I don't know if I would be able to re-use the e-locker or if I have to get a new one all together. In any case this would be an expensive option, although I could probably sell my old front and rear gears very easily to a base model owner.

All questions for Jay, lol

You need to do a D60 SFA swap into that monster. Some fullsize axles would be pretty sick under an H3T

BerserkerCatSplat
07-14-2010, 12:00 AM

I have a friend with 4.10 HP D30 and 4.10 D35 for a XJ. If your looking for a decent set. Detroit locker in the rear and a ARB air locker in the front. Never installed just rebuilt and sitting around.

The front HP30 sounds good, but the XJ uses rear leaves while my ZJ has coils all around - so to mount that rear end I'd need to weld on custom spring perches and control arm mounts, and that's frankly way, way too much effort just to have another Dana 35. If I'm going to mess around welding coil bracketry onto an axle, I'm putting in something beefier than a D53. My original plan was a 4.10 HPD30 and a trussed/skidded D44A regeared to 4:10, but now with all the hail damage she took I'm not sure what's gonna happen with insurance. The ZJ may be written off entirely, so I'm not doing any major work until I know what's going on for sure.

Let us know if you get that new rig, BTW!

Sugarphreak
07-18-2010, 06:09 PM

Unknown303
07-18-2010, 06:18 PM

I have seen a solid axle conversion for the H3 before, it was pretty wild... but probably cost somewhere in the 10K range to do.

Do it. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
07-18-2010, 07:42 PM

Unknown303
07-18-2010, 08:22 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:
What the hell! That's insane.

Sugarphreak
08-04-2010, 10:18 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
08-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Wow, wtf happened this time? That truck's been bad luck for you lately.

Sugarphreak
08-04-2010, 11:46 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
08-04-2010, 04:24 PM

I wonder how much Ford would give me on trade in towards a Raptor....

Great. Now I'll never be able to catch up to you on the trails.

Sugarphreak
08-05-2010, 09:22 AM

Unknown303
08-05-2010, 09:35 AM

haha, don't be so sure! I have to get this idea past my wife first.... lol

Just surprise her with it. Girls like suprises.

Sugarphreak
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM

BerserkerCatSplat
08-05-2010, 02:09 PM

Just surprise her with it. Girls like suprises.

Famous last words! :rofl:

Alak
08-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Anyone else notice the VAST improvement in trail maintenance at mclean? I mean, I never been on the quad side of things until reciently, but I always remembered the trails around the pay campsites being all but impassable. Now I see they rolled a cat through there and everything is basically roads now.

Even down by fisher east, theres roadworks it looks like.

Sugarphreak
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM

Unknown303
08-09-2010, 02:05 PM
That first crazy mud section right where you'd head in to goto the gravel pit was competely flattened. It was like driving on a gravel road.

Alak
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah when I broke my quad in the gravel pit I could haul my trailer right upto it and load it. The sheer scope of the project means its an SRD thing. Probably one of our groups pushed enough buttons.