PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Training Sled or Welding Skills

KRyn
03-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Hi Beyond, I am looking to purchase a training sled. Something similar to what can be viewed in the thread below.

http://www.nextag.com/training-sled/stores-html

I know that a number of very skilled welders frequent beyond. Would any amateur or professional welder be interested in building me such a device? Of course I would pay accordingly (materials and time). Even a rough estimate of the materials needed to build a sled would be greatly appreciated. I would prefer to contract a sled through a beyond member as supporting the local talent is important!

:thumbsup:

sr20s14zenki
03-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Let me know if you find one, if you dont, then i would just need dimensions and what not, the inside diameter of your weights, etc. I could build it, just need to know the measurements so i can price the material .

KRyn
03-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Let me know if you find one, if you dont, then i would just need dimensions and what not, the inside diameter of your weights, etc. I could build it, just need to know the measurements so i can price the material .

Weights are fairly expensive, usually around $2.00 a pound. I was thinking that a box (with no top) could be built on the rails so I could place 50lb or 75lb sand bags in it. I don't know if this makes sense... I believe I have some of these sand bags in the garage, I am going to measure them now. Could you give me a very rough estimate on how much something like this would cost?

lint
03-28-2010, 09:05 PM
you can check with Rogue canada to see how much it would be for them to bring up one of their s-25 sleds up to their edmonton warehouse. $115USD, shouldn't be too much more if you pick up. Otherwise they'll really rape you with shipping.

http://www.roguefitness.com/store/rogue_sled.php

I think Oz- had a sled built, he might be able to point you to someone.

Oz-
03-28-2010, 10:11 PM
My friend built me a a sled and a prowler.

Dimensions on the sled.

21" x 21" plate with a 3" lip that is bent upwards at the front at 45 degrees. In the middle of it is a hollow tube that is just under 2" outside diameter. A hook on the front of the lip is helpful to attach a harness.

Do not use diamond plate, but rather 1/2" or 3/4" steel if you can.

http://www.fit-equip.com/uploads/pulling%20sled%20003.jpg

sr20s14zenki
03-28-2010, 10:27 PM
the steel in that picture looks like 1/4" plate......i think 1/2 or 3/4 thick would be wayyyy too heavy.....

lint
03-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I think heavy is the idea for a dragging sled...

Oz-
03-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
the steel in that picture looks like 1/4" plate......i think 1/2 or 3/4 thick would be wayyyy too heavy.....

Don't go by that picture, it was just an idea of the build. My sled weighs about 60lbs or so without anything on it.

KRyn
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Still looking for someone to build me this sled, I have emailed numerous metal and welding shops around Calgary and have got ridiculous quotes. The materials appear to be relatively cheap, $50-75 but people are trying to tell me it will take 4 hours of labor at $50 an hour to bend a piece of sheet metal, make one weld, and cut 3 holes.

sr20s14zenki
04-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Still looking for someone to build me this sled, I have emailed numerous metal and welding shops around Calgary and have got ridiculous quotes. The materials appear to be relatively cheap, $50-75 but people are trying to tell me it will take 4 hours of labor at $50 an hour to bend a piece of sheet metal, make one weld, and cut 3 holes.

Haha, people must be starving.

does nobody have an iron worker? punch 3 holes....about 5 minutes, weld pipe on, about 5 minutes......

that sled looks like it is built of quarter inch or 3/16"

KRyn
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
I would like to thank Evan aka sr20s14zenki for building me a sled, delivering it and not charging me an arm and a leg. It's exactly like we discussed. I couldn't be happier with it. If anyone ever needs something built from metal I suggest you talk to Evan as you will not be disappointed. I hope the weather improves so you can enjoy the beers outside this weekend!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lint
04-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Details man. How much? Pics?

KRyn
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
This is the only picture I have of it right now.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm256/Kpoun/Sled.jpg

After calling around to many local shops the average price I got was about $250. Of this $50-80 was for materials and the rest labor. At the end of the day Evan charged me just over $100. As stated I couldn't be happier with the end product. He even painted mine for free, I can't say enough about how awesome he is.

On a side note he likes Coronoa.

sr20s14zenki
04-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Hah, thank you for the kind words. I aim to please. There are too many starving shops trying to make it rich on one thing right now, its just silly. Hope it does what you intended.