PDA

View Full Version : Warning/Reminder: Bow Trail Westbound = 50km/h

core_upt
03-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Just a heads up/warning/reminder to everyone coming out of downtown on Bow Trail. The speed limit on Bow Trail westbound just after the Crowchild exit is 50 KM/h , and it is a favorite spot for speed traps. I can say that 4 out of 10 times I drive this route (daily), there is a cop there, either right under Crowchild, or just up the hill at the bus stop at the 24th Street exit. There is one sign saying the speed limit is reduced, and the 50 km/h signs are tiny, so it isn't super obvious.

I constantly get death stares from drivers flying past me everyday - if you saw cops at the same point alsost half the time you drove by, you'd be sure to not speed too!

TorqueDog
03-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Ah yes, one of the most idiotic and unnecessary speed reductions in the city.

Still not as bad as the 110 > 80 when heading out on highway #2 north, but it's trying.

Redlyne_mr2
03-29-2010, 12:00 PM
17th ave west of Sarcee has gotten bad as well. I had never seen any speed traps until they began the work for the C-train, now they're up here all the time. :thumbsdow

Kuba83
03-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog

I agree. Who the hell decides these things anyway? Probably some old person.:guns:

TorqueDog
03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Kuba83
I agree. Who the hell decides these things anyway? Probably a bunch of old greedy people. :guns: Fixed. Safety, my ass. Unless you consider how safe it is to jump arse first into the pile of money generated by having a 50 KM/H speed limit versus a more reasonable 70 or 80 KM/H limit, then yes, the pile of money is larger by gouging motorists in the name of 'safety'.

20incheyes
03-29-2010, 04:43 PM

Still not as bad as the 110 > 80 when heading out on highway #2 north, but it's trying.
+1 If we complain to 311 will that do anything?

rage2
03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
The speed limit on Bow Trail westbound just after the Crowchild exit is 50 KM/h
It's actually right BEFORE the crowchild exit where it turns to 50. It's right before the crest of the hill. So if you're on the right lane heading off to crowchild west, you have to slow down to 50 for about 50 meters then resume your speed. It's retarded lol.

And yes, I've seen cops on the crowchild exit side blasting people going 70 exiting onto crowchild, where there's absolutely zero construction.

01RedDX
03-29-2010, 06:04 PM

speedog
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Kuba83
I agree. Who the hell decides these things anyway? Probably some old person.:guns: Yeah, us old people - fucking things up all the time for ya young ones. Nice generalization, dude.

How about you crab to your alderman instead - if enough people make a fuss, something might be done about this little section that y'all have a problem with. Here, I'll even help you out here - I believe that's in Ward 8 which would make it alderman John Mar who's office can be reached at 403-268-2430 and by the looks of it, he doesn't look like some old person.

Old people - can't do anything right, eh.

RY213
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Yeah, us old people - fucking things up all the time for ya young ones. Nice generalization, dude.

How about you crab to your alderman instead - if enough people make a fuss, something might be done about this little section that y'all have a problem with. Here, I'll even help you out here - I believe that's in Ward 8 which would make it alderman John Mar who's office can be reached at 403-268-2430 and by the looks of it, he doesn't look like some old person.

Old people - can't do anything right, eh.

Wow, you old people sure can be crabby :poosie:

speedog
03-29-2010, 07:48 PM
That's what happens when ya get older, eh.

FiveFreshFish
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
The speed limit on Bow Trail westbound just after the Crowchild exit is 50 KM/h

Hard to miss. There are two signs.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2nqxg5x.jpg

Originally posted by rage2
It's actually right BEFORE the crowchild exit where it turns to 50. It's right before the crest of the hill. So if you're on the right lane heading off to crowchild west, you have to slow down to 50 for about 50 meters then resume your speed. It's retarded lol.

There's no 50 km/h sign before the ramp. There is however a 40 km/h yellow sign at the ramp entrance. Yellow signs are just recommended speeds; white signs are regulatory. You've been slowing down for no reason. :D

http://i43.tinypic.com/9unj2o.jpg

gpomp
03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
^that's not bow trail

Isaiah
03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Both of those images are Memorial Drive Westbound. He's talking about Bow Trail.

frozenrice
03-29-2010, 09:52 PM
^^^core_upt was talking about WESTBOUND BOW TRAIL, your picture is of MEMORIAL WESTBOUND.

rage2
03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Both of those images are Memorial Drive Westbound. He's talking about Bow Trail.
pwned! :rofl:

Anyways, for those unfamiliar with WTF I'm talking about, the red dot shows where the 50km/h zone starts for all lanes...

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/bow50a.jpg

The Green dot shows where it resumes back to 70km/h for the right lanes that exit to crowchild. The left lanes stay as a 50km/h construction zone. The blue dot shows where the cops hang out to bust people exiting onto crowchild at over 50km/h. It's just past the crest of the hill on the bridge, so you can't see them at all till it's way too late.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/misc/bow50b.jpg

There is no construction anywhere near this area. It's about 1/2 km up on bow trail on the left.

There's absolutely no reason for this speed change other than revenue generation.

masoncgy
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
haha yeah WTF... I'm sitting here staring at WB Memorial... what does this have to do with the Bow Trail construction... lol

The best part has to be the map inserts on each image... 'Memorial" lol...

FiveFreshFish
03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
^that's not bow trail

Originally posted by Isaiah

Originally posted by frozenrice
^^^core_upt was talking about WESTBOUND BOW TRAIL, your picture is of MEMORIAL WESTBOUND.

Originally posted by rage2

pwned! :rofl:

Originally posted by masoncgy
haha yeah WTF... I'm sitting here staring at WB Memorial... what does this have to do with the Bow Trail construction... lol

The best part has to be the map inserts on each image... 'Memorial" lol...

Ha ha... fuck!

syritis
03-29-2010, 10:08 PM
more and more frequently i'm seeing the revenue department parked on the left side of NB stoney trail just after the silver springs/tuscany bridge. they hide behind two construction barriers so they're not obvious either but neither at the 60km/h sing planted over the sides of the bridge.

Wrinkly
03-29-2010, 10:14 PM

LOL - yeah, grumpy old men of beyond FTW :bigpimp:

John "Mar" and the "Mar" that posts here - one and the same? lol

Gibson
03-30-2010, 12:27 AM

Completely and totally agree. You go through there at midnight and the 80 signs are still posted. I'm not sure I've even seen anyone there in the day, let alone in the small hours of the morning. Everyone does 120 anyway.