PDA

View Full Version : driving with no insurance, i didnt know the car was not insured...

Pages : [1] 2

preludedude
03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey so i totally fucked up

heres the deal i got home from school and my mom told me the neighbor was selling a car of hers that she had parked in her garage, and to go check out because she would buy it for me for my 19th bday coming up in may because i was eligible to take the road test now, so i was totally stoked and checked out, she gave me the keys and said i could take it around the block, so as i pulled out of the back alley i saw my mom and lil brother at the bus stop so i decided to drive them up to safeway where they were heading witch was literally about 6 blocks up the street, and everything was okay until on the way back the cops pulled me over and asked for my license n registration and i explained i only had my learners and that i know i shouldnt be driving im really sorry i just took my mom up to safeway and back....they say the plates are expired the insurance is also so i get slapped with a bunch of fines, and i am so fucked
is there anyway possible i could get out of this if i explain my situation to the judge and get out of this mess??
have any of you ever heard of a situation like mine where whoever was able to get out of it?

RY213
03-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Youre basically fucked. "I didnt know" is not an excuse as far as the law is concerned...

kope
03-29-2010, 05:51 PM
LOL. Im sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but your a retard. Wrong place wrong time.. bad luck :(

as far as trying to fight the fines, No your SOL.. especially if everything was expired and your a learner. Be lucky he didn't tow the car on you. Maybe go see the judge and start to cry.. might get a few fines lowered?

Wraith
03-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by RY213
Youre basically fucked

97'Scort
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Youre basically fucked. "I didnt know" is not an excuse as far as the law is concerned...
Not necessarily. If the neighbour said it was okay to take it for a drive, and the car WAS insured, and there was an accident, the insurance follows the car, not the driver.

It would stand to reason that both you and the neighbour are equally at fault here: you for being a dumbass and not checking the reg/insurance before taking off in the car, and him for knowingly letting you drive the car without either.

How you're going to argue that in front of a judge, however, is kind of a tough sell. I'd fight both, but show up in a suit, take any piercings out of your face, bring your mom and your neighbour, and make an argument. You could easily get a reduction here at least.

preludedude
first of all what the fuck are you laughing at
you think its funny?
i honestly never had any idea the car was not insured
dont act as if im just some young punk who intenionally knew there was no insurance on the car and said fuck it who cares
i post a thread on this forum because im asking for help advice anything to make my situatuion feel that much better
and btw the car was towed

chkolny541
Originally posted by preludedude

heres the deal i got home from school and my mom told me the neighbor was selling a car of hers that she had parked in her garage, and to go check out because she would buy it for me for my 19th bday coming up in may because i was eligible to take the road test now, so i was totally stoked and checked out, she gave me the keys and said i could take it around the block, so as i pulled out of the back alley i saw my mom and lil brother at the bus stop so i decided to drive them up to safeway where they were heading witch was literally about 6 blocks up the street, and everything was okay until on the way back the cops pulled me over and asked for my license n registration and i explained i only had my learners and that i know i shouldnt be driving im really sorry i just took my mom up to safeway and back....they say the plates are expired the insurance is also so i get slapped with a bunch of fines, and i am so fucked
is there anyway possible i could get out of this if i explain my situation to the judge and get out of this mess??
have any of you ever heard of a situation like mine where whoever was able to get out of it?

^^,this. and on a side note, just how big are the fines?

chkolny541
03-29-2010, 05:56 PM
you think its funny?
dont act as if im just some young punk who intenionally knew there was no insurance on the car and said fuck it who cares
i post a thread on this forum because im asking for help advice anything to make my situatuion feel that much better

ok, insurance aside...u still KNOWINGLY drove w/o a class5

preludedude
03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
YES I FULLY ADMIT TO DRIVING WITHOUT MY LICENSE
but the insurance thing i fucked up on i totally should have checked first...my huge mistake

kope
03-29-2010, 06:00 PM
you think its funny?

well hopefully you can learn from your mistakes..
sorry i just had to LOL at the tow part.

top_speed
03-29-2010, 06:01 PM
you think its funny?
You are a dumb ass, that is why he is :rofl: at you.
The Neighbour said take it around the block and you took it 6 blocks down the main road and got fucked.

kope
03-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by top_speed

The Neighbour said take it around the block and you took it 6 blocks down the main road and got fucked.

great minds think alike.. :poosie:

dirtsniffer
03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
might be a good idea to buy the car, and insure it, that way when you go to court they might give you a ticket for failure to produce insurance instead of no a insurance ticket

banned3x
03-29-2010, 06:21 PM
offer the judge a blow job or hand job cuz or pretty much screwed:devil:

Dilmah
03-29-2010, 06:26 PM

What were you thinking? You drive a car without a licence, you don't check to see if the car has the proper documents and you trusted a neighbour! You admit you did things wrong, you knew before hand that you were doing something wrong and now you ask for a way to get out of it. Next time ask the questions before doing something you know is wrong.
As far as people laughing at you, you need to grow up and accept the fact that people will laugh at you and there’s nothing you can do about it. You could always ask the witch in the story to cast a magical spell on the judge...
:dunno:

cjay^
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
might be a good idea to buy the car, and insure it, that way when you go to court they might give you a ticket for failure to produce insurance instead of no a insurance ticket

Doesn't work like that. I was a lazy asshole and kept forgetting to put my pink slip in my Silvia and sure enough I got pulled over for running a yellow (cock sucker said I could have stopped, when I couldn't) and next thing I know my car is chilling at the impound lot.

When I fought the $3000 driving without insurance ticket, I had to get my insurance company to write a letter stating my name, my vehicle, and my vin number and that I had insurance on the date that I was pulled over and had my vehicle towed. NO insurance company will lie for you.

Sorry, but prepare to cough up well over $1000 assuming a judge would be nice to you and drop it from $3000.

You could pay nothing and spend a month in jail?

dirtsniffer
03-29-2010, 06:36 PM
holly fuck, the ticket is 3 grand! maybe the net jockies should lay off the kid, atleast until he stops shitting his pants

Canucks3322
03-29-2010, 06:42 PM

Amen. Typical kid who doesn't think of the consequences. Who cares if it's 6 blocks down the road...shit can still happen. Pay the fine and learn your lesson. Life isn't as simple as you think it is.

C_Dave45
03-29-2010, 06:42 PM

:facepalm:

you think its funny?
Bullshit

dont act as if im just some young punk
That's exactly what you are. Not very bright either.
And then you take an attitude?? ROFL....

dj_rice
03-29-2010, 06:48 PM

The Neighbor said take it around the block and you took it 6 blocks down the main road and got fucked.

:werd: :rofl: :rofl:

Preludedude, just curious what ethnicity you are?

FiveFreshFish
03-29-2010, 06:54 PM
You're screwed.

The fine for driving without insurance is $2500 minimum and soon to be increased. A commercial vehicle is $10,000. Other jurisdiction coverage may not automatically transfer to our province or be effective. Don't get caught with your "insurance" down.

Source: http://www.air-alta.com/tips.html

Mar
03-29-2010, 06:55 PM
This cannot be for real, nobody's that stupid. I think this guy is just trying to cause shit.

cjay^
03-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
You're screwed.

Source: http://www.air-alta.com/tips.html

+ in default of payment to imprisonment for a term of not less than 45 days and not more than 6 months

preludedude
03-29-2010, 07:09 PM
you know what?
fuck all you faggots who said im fucked
and insulted me
you are a bunch of fucking goofs that feel good making someone feel like shit
ill post a reply on april 29th with the verdict of what happened
watch me evade this shit
mark your calenders down bitches

chkolny541
03-29-2010, 07:11 PM
you know what?
and insulted me
watch me evade this shit

tre, is that you?

natejj
03-29-2010, 07:17 PM
His english is surprisingly good, so I'm gonna say he's white. Probably looks something like this

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/random-thoughts/127598d1233187619-poser-definition-wigger-15513.jpg

J.M.
03-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Calendar's marked for April 29th.

cjay^
03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
you know what?
and insulted me
watch me evade this shit

May I ask how you plan on evading it?

You have well over $3000 in tickets facing you (uninsured, unregistered, unlicensed driver) so there really isn't any way to BS your way out of this.

dj_rice
03-29-2010, 07:27 PM
If you cry in front of the judge and video tape it, I'll give you $10 towards your fines

Grogador
03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
...i decided...

You can get No Insurance down to $500 and bargain the others down to half or less. Ask your mother for a "get out of jail" donation instead, as you don't appear to have the basic judgment required to operate a motor vehicle. Happy birthday, moron!

Mixalot27
03-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Use the free man of the Land defense. :thumbsup:

cjay^
03-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Grogador

You can get No Insurance down to $500 and bargain the others down to half or less. Ask your mother for a "get out of jail" donation instead, as you don't appear to have the basic judgment required to operate a motor vehicle. Happy birthday, moron!

Pretty sure no insurance only can be dropped to $500 if you are a youth. Not 100% on this though.

Xtrema
03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Well, your mom has a license right? So I guess you can argue that your in presence of a valid DL holder.

Can you fight the other tickets? 50/50. Unless the car owner is super nice and willing to admit that she willing let you drive without car being registered or insured. But then she's gotta pay.

But more likely she'll just say the car is stolen and assumes no responsibility.

BTW, what did you do wrong for getting pulled over in the first place? And the e-thug attitude will get u nowhere on the internet.

Spoons
03-29-2010, 07:41 PM
you know what?
and insulted me
watch me evade this shit

Just in case you didn't hear us the first time.

YOU ARE FUUUUUUUUUUCKED!

You drove without you're class 5. Also how the fuck are you turning 19 in roughly a month and don't even have your drivers yet...

I hope they don't even let you get your license, bitch?

turbotrip
03-29-2010, 08:24 PM
you know what?
and insulted me
watch me evade this shit

thats right playa, u tell these bitches what it is! lol. and do me a favor and slap the judge for me on the 29th.

JustinGTP
03-29-2010, 08:27 PM
I think it's funny because you said you didn't "know". If you looked at the back of the car where the plate is, you'd realize that the plate has a month and year of which registration expires. Maybe should have checked that out. Unfortunately for you and fortunately for everyone else, the law works well in situations like this-it got an uninsured and unregistered car off the road and a unlicensed teen off the road without causing an accident and fucking up someone else's car/life.

Mys73ri0
03-29-2010, 08:51 PM

You got home from school, and your mom told you to take the car for a test drive. Yet you saw your mom and brother at the bus stop?

ExtraSlow
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Quoted for awesomeness!

Zero102
03-29-2010, 09:13 PM

WHENEVER you get behind the wheel of a vehicle that you do not own (since I assume you should know this for any vehicle you do own), the VERY FIRST thing you do is locate all the paperwork you could need if you find yourself in trouble and verify that it is valid. Check that there is a copy of the registration and valid pink slips in the car. If you do not do this then you do NOT have "reasonable belief" that the vehicle can legally be on the roads and you have no excuse for driving without insurance or registration.

For example, if you drove a friend's car, and he had pink slips that looked valid but in actuality he cancelled his insurance and kept the pink slips, and you got a driving without insurance ticket you can have the ticket dropped since you took reasonable measures to ensure that the car had a legal right to be on the road.

Unfortunately you are young and stupid (and don't deny it, you are young and stupid) and not only didn't check the registration and insurance, but drove without the proper license. You are fucked when you go to court. You got lucky that all you received are a few tickets. What if you had been involved in an accident? Even if you were driving your parents car their insurance would not cover you since you are not driving within the restrictions of your license. The other person would sue you personally, imagine, your dumb ass bankrupt at 18?

Smarten up kid, there is absolutely no excuse for what you did and I hope the tickets stick.

300zxfairlday
03-29-2010, 09:15 PM
HAHA op are you ever dumb! First you ask if there is anything that can be done or any way out of it and when everyone lets you know you are dumb and fucked (no way out) you get your panties in a bunch!!

Mabee there is a reason why you are 19 and yet only have your learners.

I'm sure you walked around the car to take a look at it yet you decided not to look at the plate?

Ussally people don't say take it around the block when its parked in the alley. Test drives are usually a bit longer. I have a feeling you were told that there was no insurance and to only take it around the block but you decided otherwise.

Man up and accept whats coming your way, You're probably going to be looking at a ban from driving since you were driving with class 7.

:facepalm: :banghead:

Kloubek
03-29-2010, 09:31 PM
As for the fine, I believe it is 2800... is it not?

Pretty hefty. Especially for someone who makes minimum wage.

sr20s14zenki
03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
As for the fine, I believe it is 2800... is it not?

Pretty hefty. Especially for someone who makes minimum wage.

yep, 2800 for no insurance. then there is driving without registration, false display of a plate, and most likely driving without a license.

I got the top 3 about a month ago, but i was legit. I had my truck sold, and i was using the plates from my truck on my car as i had not yet gone to the registries. you DO have 14 days for both insurance and registration. Ask your insurance company, they have to follow it, as it is in SPF-1 (google it) under "newly aquired automobile". Cop didnt believe me, i dont blame him, but he was a total ass hole about the whole thing. Took all of the above, along with a letter from my insurance broker validating the 14 day rule, and an excerpt of SPF-1, and the crown dropped all charges. Still got fucked with the tow in the end =(

JordanAndrew
03-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Have you tried contacting POINTTS? They deal with this shit all the time as well. When you're using them, it will cost you a pretty penny but not as much as paying the full fine. I suggest giving them a call or come down to their office and talk to them.

They will probably tell you that they can reduce the fine for the "No insurance ticket" and they can get one of your other tickets thrown out as well.

Expect to pay around $600-$1300 in fines and fees going through this route. But by going this route, you don't even have to represent yourself as POINTTS will do all of this for you.

May I remind you that if you do decide to represent yourself, you have a bigger chance of getting fucked by the judge unless the judge is having a good day. Sadly, most if not all POINTTS representatives are former cops so they are probably buddies with the judge, of coarse these are just speculations.

Anyways give them a call. Expect your insurance for your cars to be quite high for a number of years because of this as the ticket itself will show up on your drivers abstract for at least 2-3 years. I hope you learned your lesson.

http://www.pointts.com/

FraserB
03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Hahaha, damn it sucks that I missed this tard. OP what did you think was going to happen if you had an accident? You had no insurance, were driving illegally because of no license, no reg and a bad plate, if you even rear ended someone and cause $1 worth of damage, they would have owned your moms house and her.

Either way, dont expect any sympathy at the courthouse, "I didnt know is never a defense", hopefully you get the full fines, probably close to $6k all in. And then you have to pay for your neighbors car to get out of impound. What is she saying in this by the way?

D'z Nutz
03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by banned3x
offer the judge a blow job or hand job cuz or pretty much screwed:devil:

Or you can let the judge feel banned3x's grandma's boobs :hijack:

Wrinkly
03-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Awww come on the kid isn't 'stupid' he's young and a bit naive is all - we've all been there.

To the OP - the unfortunate fact is, that ignorance is no excuse when it comes to the law. All you can do, is try to get it reduced, and learn from your mistake and move on. MOST importantly - though it may seem like the end of the world right now, look on the bright side and be glad nothing worse happened, like an accident and worse still someone hurt or dead and being on the hook for that.

Yes, it's tough at your age - but at the end of the day, all it's really cost you is a bruised ego and some $$$. Be glad about that - it could have been SO much worse.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kona9
03-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
Awww come on the kid isn't 'stupid' he's young and a bit naive is all - we've all been there.

To the OP - the unfortunate fact is, that ignorance is no excuse when it comes to the law. All you can do, is try to get it reduced, and learn from your mistake and move on. MOST importantly - though it may seem like the end of the world right now, look on the bright side and be glad nothing worse happened, like an accident and worse still someone hurt or dead and being on the hook for that.

Yes, it's tough at your age - but at the end of the day, all it's really cost you is a bruised ego and some $$$. Be glad about that - it could have been SO much worse.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:thumbsup:

baygirl
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Twice I've been pulled over for expired tags. Both times I was issued a ticket, and told to go home and park my vechicle until it was registered. Should it have been towed?

ghust
03-29-2010, 10:44 PM
Bad luck man, The judge should cut you some slack.

Originally posted by natejj
His english is surprisingly good, so I'm gonna say he's white. Probably looks something like this

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/random-thoughts/127598d1233187619-poser-definition-wigger-15513.jpg

and man. ^^ That was surprisingly racist.

preludedude
03-29-2010, 11:05 PM
THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND IM YOUNG AND A BIT DUMB AT TIMES

If i was to address the judge and crown and say something like this would it help me in any way possible to getting rid of a no insurance ticket - ive done the research on how bad it is and i really want to get rid of it.

First off i just want to say that i do accept responsibility for what i have done,
i blatantly got into a vehicle and drove off in it without even thinking for one second if it was registered or insured.I made a huge mistake that could have been alot worse then a couple of hefty fines, i could have easily been in an accident and hurt or even killed someone. I know that i didn't know is not an excuse by any means and especially when it comes to the law.
I should have thought to ask before pulling away and because of my own stupidity i am here and i accept why i am here today.

rage2
03-29-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
Twice I've been pulled over for expired tags. Both times I was issued a ticket, and told to go home and park my vechicle until it was registered. Should it have been towed?
You have tits.

dirtsniffer
03-29-2010, 11:15 PM
^^ im hoping for proof of that fact :poosie:

Clever
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I've only been in front of the judge once for forgetting to pay parking tickets, regardless of the excuse, although valid (in my mind) fell on deaf ears, although I did get some slack and only had to pay 3/6 of the tickets, in the end it was worth it to an extent, aside from being embarassed and all. But you should call Points, and good luck everyone makes stupid mistakes, hope things work out.

Goodfella
03-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Op you fucked up! you were given an inch and you took a mile. This should be a life lesson for you and what will happen most likely is a reduction in the fines with a good sob story but I would imagine that at age 18 you would have enough common sense not be riding dirty in a city full of cops, anyways best of luck.

FraserB
03-29-2010, 11:46 PM
The problem with your tickets, OP, is that they are all severe offenses so there is no chance any of them will be dismissed. You yourself do not dispute the fact that you drove a motor vehicle while unlicensed, with no insurance or registration and fraudulent tags. The best outcome is that you will end up paying a slightly reduce amount. You have to be prepared to pay ridiculous insurance for the first few years after you find a company that will insure you.

You will also have to explain that you knew you were not legally allowed to drive when you got behind the wheel. The fact that you knowingly broke a major law will make it harder to convince a judge that you deserve a break.

Can you please post what you got a ticket for? There will be a section violation number on the ticket.

preludedude
03-30-2010, 12:02 AM
driving without a license is not that big of a deal, officers bust kids driving every week and it is only a small $230
i fucked up and i fucked up bad i know
but i have never had my own vechile, just droven friends
when someone hands me their keys i dont think hey is it insured and registered?
im young im 18 i have never had my own vechile so the worst i thought could happen is that i could get busted with my learners which would be better then nothing
if i explain to a judge these things and that this was a wholeheartedly honest mistake of mine, do you think i have even the slightest chance of me getting off of the no insurance ticket?
for christ sake i was 2 blocks away from home, which yes i know it doesnt matter but cmon i made a mistake...
the 3 tickets were for no reg no insurance and no license

CMW403
03-30-2010, 12:11 AM
driving without a license is not that big of a deal, officers bust kids driving every week and it is only a small $230
i fucked up and i fucked up bad i know
but i have never had my own vechile, just droven friends
when someone hands me their keys i dont think hey is it insured and registered?
im young im 18 i have never had my own vechile so the worst i thought could happen is that i could get busted with my learners which would be better then nothing
if i explain to a judge these things and that this was a wholeheartedly honest mistake of mine, do you think i have even the slightest chance of me getting off of the no insurance ticket?
for christ sake i was 2 blocks away from home, which yes i know it doesnt matter but cmon i made a mistake...

pleading to us isnt going to do any good

i would call points if i was you, they'll do a better job getting this reduced than you will.

and..... why were you driving your friends cars without a license?:facepalm:

FraserB
03-30-2010, 12:16 AM

It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the ticket dismissed. You did make a mistake but the law does not make allowances for that on absolute tickets like the ones you got.

Were you driving with no lic? YES

Were you driving a vehicle with no insurance? YES

Were you driving an unregistered vehicle? YES

Has the vehicle been removed from impound? If not, get that done ASAP, they accrue fees for every day it is there. What does your neighbor have to say about the matter?

JordanAndrew
03-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
The problem with your tickets, OP, is that they are all severe offenses so there is no chance any of them will be dismissed. You yourself do not dispute the fact that you drove a motor vehicle while unlicensed, with no insurance or registration and fraudulent tags. The best outcome is that you will end up paying a slightly reduce amount. You have to be prepared to pay ridiculous insurance for the first few years after you find a company that will insure you.

You will also have to explain that you knew you were not legally allowed to drive when you got behind the wheel. The fact that you knowingly broke a major law will make it harder to convince a judge that you deserve a break.

Can you please post what you got a ticket for? There will be a section violation number on the ticket.

Although severe there is always a good chance the crown will throw out at least one of the two small tickets. (No registration or wrong class of license). On the other hand, the crown will most likely not dismiss the no insurance ticket. It's a money grab for them that's for sure as it's a huge fine. They will however reduce the fine if you go through the proper way of doing it. If you still go ahead and represent yourself, if the judge fails to see or just wants to be a dick to you, you will end up paying all the fines without getting any thrown out or reduced. It all depends on which judge you get.

I really suggest going through POINTTS as it they will represent you properly and you can almost guarantee that they will most likely get you the best results possible. Like what I mentioned earlier, it will still cost you around $600-$1300 altogether once everything is said and done, this isn't including the raised insurance premiums that you will suffer after this.

Don't worry about not getting insured though, you won't have any issues with any company.

I don't work for POINTTS but if you do a few searches you will find a lot of people uses them for traffic violations with a good success rate. I have used them in the past myself and have been very happy with the results.

I hope this post helps you out. I've been through the "young and dumb" stage myself and have wasted a lot of money paying for it afterwards so I can relate.

FraserB
03-30-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks for correcting me Jordan.

JordanAndrew
03-30-2010, 12:28 AM

It is IMPOSSIBLE to get the ticket dismissed. You did make a mistake but the law does not make allowances for that on absolute tickets like the ones you got.

Were you driving with no lic? YES

Were you driving a vehicle with no insurance? YES

Were you driving an unregistered vehicle? YES

Has the vehicle been removed from impound? If not, get that done ASAP, they accrue fees for every day it is there. What does your neighbor have to say about the matter?

Just want to point out that you are misinformed. It is possible to get at least the small tickets dismissed. I speak from experience and have done it myself.

Shlade
03-30-2010, 01:08 AM
oh boy... I remember i had a close call like this.. OP i know how you feel.. Hope things work out for ya bud..

Beyond is probably gonna hate me.. but come on, everybodys done stupid things in the past.. 88 mustang- Salvage title, No insurance no registration no class 5 just a class 7, was my project car, ended up taking it to school on cold mornings lol, Man that thing was fun to drive!

Until I stepped more into law enforcement i smartened up. OP Everybody makes mistakes, and everybody does stupid shit.. Just dont get caught doing it lol

fast95pony
03-30-2010, 01:36 AM
you know what?
and insulted me
watch me evade this shit

Heading to Mexico with Dom Toretto ??

know1edge
03-30-2010, 01:40 AM

DarkDream
03-30-2010, 02:47 AM
Give the kid a break, he fucked up but seriously everyone did stupid shit, its just some people got caught some people didn't... Don't be a hypocrite.

slinkie
03-30-2010, 02:50 AM
don't drive heatbag next time

gatorade
03-30-2010, 03:11 AM
so you're neighbour told you to only drive it down the block but you drove it 6 blocks away to be a taxi and you also got their car towed, id be pissed off if I was your neighbour, theres also alot of fees to be paid there that you won't be getting off of...

Prelude_dude
03-30-2010, 03:52 AM
umm.. this guys has a very similar name to me.. don't mistake him for me !!! can i request a name change ??

thedave
03-30-2010, 05:24 AM
Personally I think ignorance is genetic in your case which resulted in this situation. Since you knowingly took the car out on the road alone while only having your learners and your mom allowed you to do so, then giving your mom/brother a ride to safeway... Both of you knowing you would have to return ALONE afterwards. :facepalm:

Also doesn't help the car didn't have insurance or registration and its shitty your neighbor failed to mention that... but its your responsibility to check, Tough luck there I really do feel for you.

However it doesn't negate the fact that ultimately the blame is back on yourself. Own up to the tickets, go to the Crown and state your situation, ask for reductions, and do the voluntary payment plan of like $100 a month and be done with it... You WILL learn your lesson the hard way.

Vanner
03-30-2010, 06:31 AM
:rofl: That is one of these cases where a young guy did a stupid mistake...can't believe it's still going on nowadays! Sorry, but you are truly screwed with these tickets - no matter if they're reduced!

It's your record in file that is going to hit you up HARD... your insurance rates, that is.

After reading that thread, I wonder what about the neighbor - the lady who owned that car and was selling it? I'd love to know the other side of the story!

Next time triple-check ALL paperwork relating to the "for sale" car for insurance and ownership before a test-drive. Check your wallet for your license to be sure...

Oh, and don't go beyond ONE block! Not the 6 blocks to Safeway, ok?

Ahh, these youngsters... :D

codetrap
03-30-2010, 08:10 AM
OP, you have my sympathies. I think you might be SOL, but still, good luck.

03ozwhip
03-30-2010, 08:27 AM
im pretty sure the insurance rates dont go up because of this. this happened to me about 8 years ago. i didnt realize my insurance had expired and i had to renew because i moved and didnt get the renewal letter.

the fine was 2800 even back then. i kept putting off paying for it because i was a broke ass back then and had more *important* things to pay for, so one day im driving to work with my GF(now wife) and buddy, stoked about going to sunshine for the night and the next day.

pulling through a green light, some idiot turns left and tbones me(totally his fault) he claims he didnt see me. anyways, the car was not drivable, so i was waiting for the po po to get there and the tow truck.

po po gets there, we talk, have a few laughs, he leaves for a minute, comes back and says"youre under arrest for a warrant" WTF?? i didnt realize what it was and it was that ticket. if my wife didnt max out her CC to bail me out, 30 minutes later, i would have gone to jail for 45 days.

thats my story lol. good luck and make sure you pay your fine. judge didnt give me an inch and you wont get one either. ignorance is no excuse, trust me it doesnt work, i tried.

scat19
03-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Well I guess we will see eachother at 7am! Good luck!

Kloubek
03-30-2010, 08:45 AM
^^lol.

dexlargo
03-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't think it's that big of a deal. For the no insurance and no registration tickets, anyway. I don't always check that insurance is in place on cars when I test drive them, I probably should, but I don't always remember to. As for the plate, I don't look at those either - I went and test drove a new Acura once and when my wife and I stopped off so that she could try driving it, I only noticed then that the salesman had forgotten to put the dealer plate on the car - I had no plate at all.

I'm probably more trusting and oblivious than others here, and I'm not saying that I shouldn't get the same tickets if I fuck up, just saying that I understand for those two tickets.

OP - Just go in and talk to the first appearance crown on the date on your ticket. Tell him that you're broke and that you were just test driving the vehicle and didn't think to check the insurance and the registration. Bring a letter from the lady who owned the car if you can, including her contact information. They'll probably reduce the no insurance ticket to failure to produce if they feel you're being honest and upfront with them. Don't be an asshole. Maybe even pay the improper class of license ticket before talking to the guy, and bring proof of payment into the meeting - that'll show that you're not just trying to avoid responsibility entirely.

You don't need no stinking Pointts.

BTW, no insurance is a $2500 ticket, with a 15% victim fine surcharge on top of that for $375, the grand total is $2875 for a first offence, second offence is a $5700 minimum.

SilverGS
03-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Considering the OP is looking at getting a car it won't help trying to convince a judge that he is broke or unable to pay. Best case is he would get a payment plan of some kind.

I take it your mom doesn't have a valid license? I thought learners where allowed to drive in the presense of someone holding a valid license.

I think your best bet is reduction in the fines due to the situation. My suggestion is to use pointts though. The last guy I saw try to represent himself got owned by the judge and had to pay all fees and penalties for late payment. Unless you have a good grasp of the way the system works and lot of evidence supporting your side, which you don't, I would invest in an ex-cop service like pointts or similar. There is no gaurantee but they know how the system works and will give you your best chance at reduction of fines and possible dismisal.

CUG
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
Thought op was Asian, then he posted again, he's definitely whooooooite.

TomcoPDR
03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by CUG
Thought op was Asian, then he posted again, he's definitely whooooooite.

Azn ppl go to Superstore, not Safeways

pheoxs
03-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS

I take it your mom doesn't have a valid license? I thought learners where allowed to drive in the presense of someone holding a valid license.

He dropped his mom off and left ... you'd think one of them would be smart enough to think he doesn't even have a license...

rc2002
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
BTW, what did you do wrong for getting pulled over in the first place?

:werd:

I'm guessing there's more to this story than we're being told. The OP must have been doing something to attract attention because a person would have to be awfully unlucky to get pulled over because a cop noticed an expired plate.

flipstah
03-30-2010, 11:37 AM
you know what?
and insulted me
watch me evade this shit

We will be waiting.

Great thread! A+! Will read again! :thumbsup:

Kennyredline
03-30-2010, 12:28 PM
The OP has made more than one mistake...the first is obviously breaking just about every law there is when it comes to doing the wrong thing behind the wheel. The second mistake he made was not checking how Beyonders treat newbies that fuck up this bad.
This thread is five pages so far, and I'm not sure anyone has said anything helpful yet!! LOL

e36bmw///
03-30-2010, 12:32 PM
nm

Cody D
03-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Shitty deal. If this happened in Calgary you need to go down to the big court house building downtown. You then need to go to 'I think' the second floor and talk to the people there about reducing your tickets, explain your situation to them and they will be able to help you. Whatever you do don't be cocky and don't be an ass when you are asking these people for help.

edit: shit I didn't realize there was already 5 pages.

SJW
03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
It takes a big man to cry.

It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

I am the laughing man.

Reading makes life easy, try it.

e31
03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
I hope they throw the book at you; figuratively and/or literally.

Also OP: Get hooked on phonics, do everyone a huge favor.

FraserB
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Pics of mom? If shes hot, the white knight for this thread might appear.

bubbley
03-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Did anybody see the second thread he opened up :rofl:

kaput
03-30-2010, 02:21 PM

FraserB
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
You keep dodging questions.

1. WHY DID YOU THINK IT WAS ACCEPTABLE TO OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE (INSURED/REG'D OR NOT) WITHOUT A VALID DRIVERS LIC?

2. WHAT IS YOUR NEIGHBOR SAYING IN THIS MATTER? IT WAS HER WHO LET YOU DRIVE IT AND ITS HER CAR IN IMPOUND.

benyl
03-30-2010, 02:26 PM
You keep dodging questions.

He can't read your questions through the tears he is crying right now.

flipstah
03-30-2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.sabmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/15_ccc_537px1.jpg

Calgary Court House

AKA...

http://jacobtheklein.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/minorityreport_wpee.jpg

They know.

DayGlow
03-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
I don't think it's that big of a deal. For the no insurance and no registration tickets, anyway. I don't always check that insurance is in place on cars when I test drive them, I probably should, but I don't always remember to. As for the plate, I don't look at those either - I went and test drove a new Acura once and when my wife and I stopped off so that she could try driving it, I only noticed then that the salesman had forgotten to put the dealer plate on the car - I had no plate at all.

I'm probably more trusting and oblivious than others here, and I'm not saying that I shouldn't get the same tickets if I fuck up, just saying that I understand for those two tickets.

OP - Just go in and talk to the first appearance crown on the date on your ticket. Tell him that you're broke and that you were just test driving the vehicle and didn't think to check the insurance and the registration. Bring a letter from the lady who owned the car if you can, including her contact information. They'll probably reduce the no insurance ticket to failure to produce if they feel you're being honest and upfront with them. Don't be an asshole. Maybe even pay the improper class of license ticket before talking to the guy, and bring proof of payment into the meeting - that'll show that you're not just trying to avoid responsibility entirely.

You don't need no stinking Pointts.

BTW, no insurance is a $2500 ticket, with a 15% victim fine surcharge on top of that for $375, the grand total is $2875 for a first offence, second offence is a $5700 minimum.

This.

Hopefully the Crown will play ball because if you go to trial I don't know how leniant the JP will be. The ticket is reverse-onus meaning the Crown doesn't have to prove you didn't have insurance, it's up to you to prove you did. Combine that with it being a strict liability charge the fact of you knowing or not knowing you had insurance is moot. But some JP's do play fast and loose so they may give you a break, but I think the Crown is more likely to play ball

bubbley
03-30-2010, 02:32 PM
^ OP don't lie in court they will fuk you up and throw you in the slammer for 2 years

tbomb
03-30-2010, 02:36 PM
http://condodomain.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/chicago-mls-jail.jpg

FraserB
03-30-2010, 02:49 PM
when i am handed a pair of keys, the first thing that comes to mind is not whether or not the vehicle is registered and insured

What is your first thought? Its clearly not "am I legally allowed to drive this car?" or "is this car legal to drive on the road?".

i openly admit that this was a mistake of mine, but i do feel i have learned my lesson, and do not feel it fair for me to have to suffer for years on high insurance premiums

You admit you broke the laws you are accused of breaking, you are asking for a reduction and outright dismissal. If the charges are dismissed, how have you learned a lesson? Is it fair that you put everyone on the road at risk, as well as your family's well being?

I know that if i had been in an accident things could have been alot worse and someone could have been hurt or killed

If you were in an accident, there could be criminal charges and your family would be financially responsible for all the costs since you have no insurance.

How does your situation differ from a class 5 driver who is accused of the same things? Someone who is older than you?

You want to be treated as a responsible adult but don't seem to be willing to take the actions needed to reflect that. Honestly the bet bet would be to beg the judge to let you pay less and barring that, pay on a monthly plan. Man up and take responsibility for your actions that you admit were wrong.

preludedude
03-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey fraserB you fucking goof
your saying shit that ten other goofs like you already said
NO SHIT DUMB FUCK I DROVE WITH MY LEARNERS
how many other people have done the same thing and got off with a slap on the wrist
driving without my class 5 is all i am really guilty of
im sick of dumb conservative white hicks like you
go suck one buddy
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

bubbley
03-30-2010, 04:05 PM
how many other people have done the same thing and got off with a slap on the wrist
go suck one buddy

:rofl:

Tell em y u mad son!!

bubbley
03-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Judging by how the OP is such a douche, I can totally see the neighbour calling 911 as soon as this guy took off on the test drive to screw him over. Imagine the epicness of that. :rofl:

e31
03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
go suck one buddy

Don't mind the OP, he is just getting his jail face on now by typing expletives and lashing out at others. He is just coming to terms with the fact that no pillow in jail will muffle his screams!