PDA

View Full Version : Can you register a car with just fire and theft?

stujew
03-29-2010, 05:58 PM
I bought a 1980 Volvo about a month ago and parked it in my parking spot in my condo complex. I got a letter a few days ago saying I can't have the vehicle parked there because it is unregistered. I was wondering if it is possible to register a vehicle if it just has fire and theft insurance on it, or if there is any way around this? The bylaw for my complex states: "An owner shall not keep on the Common Property any private passenger automobile which is not in operating condition. The car runs and drives fine, I just can't afford to insure both my cars right now so one is parked till the summer.

Mibz
03-29-2010, 06:01 PM
There is a very simple solution to this problem. I'll give you 1 guess what it is...

stujew
03-29-2010, 06:02 PM
lol I'm going to say it's move the car, or get it insured and registered.

B20EF
03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
No, i had to register mine a few days ago for parkade cleaning. I had to put it back on insurance and show proof before the registry would let me re-register it. You can put it on insurance for one day to register it though.

stujew
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Damn, I never thought of that. Guess I'll insure it for a day tomorrow and get it registered.

Pollywog
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Edit: Guess the answer is no.

Mibz
03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
I was going to tell you to phone the registry but I just realized you posted when they're all already closed. My bad.

canuckcarguy
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM
Does it have an expired plate, at least? Find one.

Then renew the plates on your current car for an extra year, and put the newly acquired sticker on your uninsured, unregistered car. This is completely illegal to drive, but it will easily fool the private parking patrol guys in your complex, who are almost certainly judging your vehicle as unregistered based wholly on its lack of a valid-looking license plate.

When the time comes to insure it and get it on the street, get a new plate. And on your current car, you can report your sticker as lost and get a cheap replacement.

Afrodeziak
03-31-2010, 10:48 AM
insure it for fire and theft as a secondary vehicle. A "parked" car... probably $50 a year.
Your PL is already being paid for for your daily driver.

You may actually get enough of a discount for having a 2nd vehicle on the policy and reduce your rates. This happened to me. As when I sold my 2nd "parked" car, my overall premium actually went up, lol.

Register a plate ~$70 a yr ? There, you have a legit car. If you ever want to drive it, just call up your insurance co.

gram
03-31-2010, 03:23 PM
You should at least have fire and theft on the car. What if your complex has a fire or flood possibly, not probable but it could happen and you would be out the value of that car. I think that "parking" insurance is cheap in AB, maybe l$50-$70 a year.

To solve your problem I can think of 2 solutions:

1. Go to the registry and ask for a new plate for your other car (the one that is currently registered and driven-that will give you another plate with sticker?) it shouldn't cost much, then just take the plate from the driven car and swap them, giving you a valid sticker-just make sure you don't drive it :>

2. Do the day insurance thing :>

stujew
03-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, thanks for all the advice but I've decided just to go the legit route and insure and register the car. I don't have fire and theft on the car because I got it for a couple hundred bucks, which is a steal for the shape it's in and the engine it came with. I called my insurance company and I'll save 20% by insuring 2 vehicles with them, and my broker said I'll get even more of a discount because I've been living with my girlfriend for over a year and we're considered commonlaw :D I'm not entirely sure how that works, but apparently my sister got the same discount.

revelations
03-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by stujew
The bylaw for my complex states: "An owner shall not keep on the Common Property any private passenger automobile which is not in operating condition. The car runs and drives fine, I just can't afford to insure both my cars right now so one is parked till the summer.

I might be wrong, but the bylaw seems to be written to keep unsightly, dead vehicles away.

This also doesent apply if you own a TRUCK...nice wording there! If you can prove that you vehicle is driveable, the condo corp should be SOL.

Our condo bylaws state that a vehicle has to be REGISTERED AND INSURED.

(but I guess this is too late since you registered alreadY)

stujew
03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I haven't registered it yet, but I called the condo board and told them the car runs and drives fine, I just can't afford to register it right now. I also told them that there were at least 3 other vehicles in my parking lot with expired tags that had been sitting there since I moved in over a year ago, and that shut the lady I was talking to up pretty fast. Guess they don't like being told they're wrong lol

revelations
04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Buy a truck so that you can do with it as you please. :nut: