PDA

View Full Version : P.Eng or P.Tech with a CRIMINAL RECORD

Jry_79
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I was looking forward to apply for my P.Tech designation from ASET, on the application it ask if the applicant has ever "been found guilty of, is there an outstanding judgement against you for"

List a couple of items but one specified c) Criminal Offense?

I have a criminal record agaist me approx 10 years ago, I didn't want to contact ASET directly to clarify and see if a criminal offense would completely negate me from receiving my designation!...YET

I was wondering if ANY BEYOND MEMBERS whether P.Eng or P.Geologist or especially any ASET members that have P.Tech or even previous R.P.T designations know of any true facts that may shed some light on the situation!

Thanks

bubbley
03-30-2010, 03:20 PM
What kind of record? Can you get a pardon or whatever?

Super_Geo
03-30-2010, 03:40 PM
I was always warned that a DUI would prevent you from ever getting your P.Eng...

bastardchild
03-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Apply for a pardon. Simple as that. If you've been clean for 10 years, you should get it no problem.

Jry_79
03-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
What kind of record? Can you get a pardon or whatever?

A careless common Assult Charge when I was around 19 or 20 years old. Thought I was Blanka from Street Fighter....that's a different thread.

Anyways I assaulted an idividual that I actually personally knew because he physically assaulted his girlfriend which I was friends with at the time.

Jry_79
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bastardchild
Apply for a pardon. Simple as that. If you've been clean for 10 years, you should get it no problem.

So if i had a Pardon, I will still would have to acknowledge on the application that I was convicted.

I'm sure not all Professionals out there are clean from criminal records

Vanish3d
03-30-2010, 03:48 PM
I was asked this on the Member in Training (EIT) for from APEGGA. I answered yes, they sent me an email requesting more info and I gave them. my record was when I was 17 yrs old tho

they didnt hold it against me and gave me membership. so I assume when i apply for P.eng in 2 years I'll be fine since they didnt say anything now? :dunno:

Super_Geo
03-30-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.apegga.org/Members/Publications/peggs/WEB09-98/APEGGARegistration.html

An underlying principle with any application is that that the applicant, whether Canadian or foreign-trained, be of good character and not have a criminal record. The Board of Examiners will withhold approval if such criteria are not met.

bubbley
03-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Jry_79

A careless common Assult Charge when I was around 19 or 20 years old. Thought I was Blanka from Street Fighter....that's a different thread.

Anyways I assaulted an idividual that I actually personally knew because he physically assaulted his girlfriend which I was friends with at the time.

o rlly..do you have pics of her?

bastardchild
03-30-2010, 04:34 PM
If you have a pardon, you don't have to disclose the record as it won't show up to employers.

Jry_79
03-30-2010, 04:36 PM

o rlly..do you have pics of her?

No pics, and I wouldn't care to share that info anyways. Plus, that wouldn't add any insight to the initial topic at hand.

Jry_79
03-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by bastardchild
If you have a pardon, you don't have to disclose the record as it won't show up to employers.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion, I'll move forward with pursuing the Pardon and investigate further on the legalities of the situation!

97'Scort
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
You can talk to ASET's certification people on the phone without revealing any personal information. So, if you want to ask them about this, just call the office and ask, but you're not obligated to give your member number or name when you call.

Isaiah
03-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Bastardchild is right. Once pardoned, the record is essentially expunged and may only resurface in the event of a very serious offense. Proceed with your academic field of choice but make sure you apply for the pardon plenty of time before you graduate as it can take quite some time depending on how many jurisdictions you have lived in since the conviction.

Ajay
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Look into the pardon.

If it's been over 10 years you should be able to apply right away for the pardon. I know in some cases you have to wait for a few years before you can even apply for the pardon.

Keep in mind though that you can apply for the pardon but it's up to the NPB to grant it.

Cos
03-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I think with the new legislation for p.tech that the rules for p.eng are very close.

Sounds like your only option is to get a pardon.

911fever
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Cos
I think with the new legislation for p.tech that the rules for p.eng are very close.

Sounds like your only option is to get a pardon.

QFT

speedog
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM

o rlly..do you have pics of her? Getting kind of old, isn't this?

scat19
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Pardon takes 1 year I believe to get it removed?

ethanshaw
04-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Wrinkly
04-10-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Jry_79

So if i had a Pardon, I will still would have to acknowledge on the application that I was convicted.

I'm sure not all Professionals out there are clean from criminal records

This may help: http://www.canadianlegal.org/canadian_pardons.php