PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Costa Rica?

calgarygts
03-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Hey guys, I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica right now and have a general idea of what I'd like to do but would like to hear any suggestions you guys have. Anybody who's been there let me know what I've gotta see! I'm there for just under three weeks, totally open itinerary (ie - I have no idea where I'll be going yet).

bubbley
03-30-2010, 03:56 PM
heard the women there are gorgeous :poosie: .....

:bigpimp:

kaput
03-30-2010, 04:22 PM

sk8r3124
03-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Surfing in Tamarindo FTW!!!

Zip-lining in the rainforest.
if the Volcano is visibly active, the day hike up the Volcano is supposed to be amazing.
snorkeling off of a Catamaran.

Thats the list of things I got up to when I was there.

I hope to go back ASAP

v2kai
03-30-2010, 04:27 PM
my gf went there for a couple weeks, i'll get her to throw some suggestions. i remember her talking about some wicked beaches you just have to see

Crymson
03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey dude. Had an AMAZING time there.

Tamarindo. Super fun, spend at least a few days there.

The surfing is GREAT for beginners. You can get a board, and enough lessons to get you going for about 75-90$. Even a fun place to rent a decent wakeboard and just got nuts on. The good breaks can kind of get busy especially with people falling off their board right infront of you. Check the tide charts.

Great food in town, definately eat at the Wok n Roll. Great sushi place. Lots of cool beach bars where you can just chill and get a message. There are some restaraunts near/in the hostels that are cheap (5$ us a meal ish) if youre on a budget, otherwise a decent meal is about 15-20$ Us. Prices in Tamarindo are nearly equivalent to here.

Gets boring after a few days because it's not very big. But the nightlife is super fun! Be mindfull of the hookers and drug dealers, but they're harmless so long as you don't let them think you're interested. They're not crazy, bad or scary, just be wary. Also the guys with shaggy long hair are coked out nicaraguan drug dealers. Saw some crazy fights, just steer clear.

MUST DO!

the Catamaran trip from Tamarindo. There is two catamarans. One is full of old balls, the smaller one is a party. We did it on our last day and regretted not doing it every day. Definately the highlight of the trip.

I think it's like 90$ but you get a light lunch and all the booze you can handle. Make sure you have a fun group with your or you're pretty social. They boot you off the boat with some snorkel gear to mess around with the fishes for a while. Pretty fun, but then the drinking continues. Make sure your one the boat with captain pickard because then you can just smoke your week on the back of the boat.

Also. Zip lining. Costa Rica is known for their ziplines. Did one all day thing that was a crazy zipline tour, that included rapelling and rock climbing as well, tubing down a river with some decent rapids and horesback riding (i hate horses but it was part of the tour and not painfully long), came with a lunch. Good times. Totally forgot the name of it, but it was in a natioal park thinky. You should be able to find it.

You shoud head south after that and hit up Nosara. Cool place to just chill. It'll be a nice break from Tamarindo, outside of tamarindo it's mostly hippies and folks who've moved down there.

turbotrip
03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Monkey Bar in Tamarindo (was on "wildest bars in the world" tv show);
Ganeshia in Jaco (club right on the beach)
Taco Bar in Jaco is kinda cool (the seating is actually a bunch of hanging swings)

and avoid San Jose

JustinGTP
03-30-2010, 07:29 PM
Bird watching
Monkey watching
Fishing
Horse back riding
Mini amazon tours
Mountain climbing
River rafting
Secluded island beach trips
Volcano watching
Zip-lining
Tour Costa Rica
Dip into a natural hot spring
Visit Virgin Jungles
Golf
Beach horse back riding

Around San Jose, I have a friend that operates a tour company there, lemme know if you want to speak to them ;)

calgarygts
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys, I had the same ideas but didn't really know where to go. I'll hit up Tamarindo for sure. I've been on booze cruises before, they're pretty fun for sure but I hope it's not the highlight of my trip! I'll try out that wildest bar and see what happens.

Going to try to see some sea turtles, anyone have experience with that? Also the zip-lining for sure - Crymson if you can remember what outfit you did that with that sounds like a pretty sweet little tour.

Oh and I definitely want to hit some natural hot springs so if anyone has suggestions on where to go for that (even better if there's a volcano) let me know.

Thanks fellas!

kaput
03-31-2010, 11:27 AM

Crymson
03-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts

Crymson if you can remember what outfit you did that with that sounds like a pretty sweet little tour.

Oh and I definitely want to hit some natural hot springs so if anyone has suggestions on where to go for that (even better if there's a volcano) let me know.

Thanks fellas!

http://www.vacationcity.com/costa-rica/activities/66086/#gallery

Is the tour, i'm 90% sure it's the same place.

It's a bit of a drive from Tamarindo, you can probalby find a better deal when you're there.

v2kai
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by kaput

Go to Monteverde for ziplining, I expect that places like Rincon would be a lot less satisifying than a cloud forest. These guys were the best 2-3 years ago with the most platforms and longest lines: http://www.selvatura.com/

gf vouched for Monteverde too but said Canopy Extremo is a good one. 14 zip lines and a tarzan swing...basically a rope on a huge tree that you get harnessed to.
She also said Manuel Antonio was her favorite beach and national park. Tamarindo is great for night life and surfing but very touristy and expensive. North of Tamarindo there is a hidden gem in a small town called Brasilito. Playa conchal is a must see...a whole beach made of shells.

kaput
03-31-2010, 01:16 PM

GoChris
11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm going to Costa Rica in a few weeks, should I take USD or Costa Rican colones? Or Both?

kaput
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM

GoChris
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Well I'm going to an all inclusive near Tamarindo beach, I'll likely not leave the resort except to do some zip lining, and scuba diving/snorkeling.

kaput
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM

GoChris
11-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Here is where I am going.

http://www.barcelo.com/BarceloHotels/en-GB/Hotels/CostaRica/Tamarindo/LangostaBeach/Home

kaput
11-16-2010, 05:35 PM

dkmlam
11-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I was there this summer as a traveler, not a tourist. You should check out other hot spots. Tortuguero was one of my favourites.

stevo 27
11-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Monteverde ziplines/rapelling was dope

lafortuna rapelling was wayy better tho and if your up for it there are some NUTS rapids there the white water rafting was prob the highlight of my trip

not much nightlife in lafortuna but ^^ is really worth it

quapo's (i think thats how you spell it) good beach good food sweet natinal park theres a private beach on it that has some good waves

really cool resutrant inside a crashed army plane FOOD WAS AWSOME

exchange yor money there ( i did it in lafortuna ) 30% better exchange rate that here

theres a few wicked bars in san jose

all in its an awsome place

DONT CHASE A MONKEY the little fucker will lead you to all his buddies then you have to runnnn!!!!

sputnik
11-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Have you considered GAP Adventures? Its a bit more rustic and you have to find your own way there. But in the end you get a far more authentic experience and get to meet people in the process.

http://www.gapadventures.com/destinations/central-america/costa-rica/

I would personally love to do this trip.

http://www.gapadventures.com/trips/costa-rica-volcanoes-surf/CRVS/2011/

GoChris
11-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Ya I want to leave the resort, but I'm going down for a wedding when I can't really afford to go down. So money is tight, but I wanted to do a couple things if I can. I'll take my PADI card down at least.

kaput
11-16-2010, 11:55 PM

bmeier
11-17-2010, 01:07 AM
i was in Costa Rica last april and it was fucking awesome.

We rented a 4*4 and drove through the country, it was pretty intense...

place i suggest people to visit

la fortuna - arenal volcano
erupting volcano
cool hikes out doors stuff etc

monteverde cloud forest
ziplines
crazy birds
amazing views
probably the best B&B i have ever stayed
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309277-d1381039-Reviews-Hidden_Canopy_Treehouses_Boutique_Hotel-Monteverde_Cloud_Forest_Reserve_Monteverde_Province_of_Puntarenas.html

mal pais
amazing surfing/beach
literally you have miles of beach to yourself
cool little town
its off the beaten path but definitely worthwhile if you can make it.

we drove and took the ferry all over costa rica. there are no road signs, and most roads are not paved. i suggest a GPS.

there are tons of other great places but those 3 stand out and are vastly different from each other.

i am not a fan of all inclusive resorts at all, i prefer to see the country myself.

rinny
11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Whatever you do, DO NOT DO NOT exchange money at the airport. They'll offer around 437colones for a buck where at any bank its 515 or so...rough figures, but you're getting ripped off at the airport.

GoChris
11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Should we take USD down and then exchange it (not at the airport), or take Canadian? I'll check what the local exchange here is for CRC.

kaput
11-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Mitsu3000gt
11-19-2010, 11:42 AM
So is it best to do an all inclusive in Costa Rica or rent a place and do your own thing?

kaput
11-19-2010, 03:19 PM

bmeier
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
CAD is useless they won't even know what it is. You can buy Colones locally at Calforex, good idea to take some with you before you leave.

calforex has a worse exchange rate than anywhere in Costa Rica.

i took out money at banks in Costa Rica and it was a much better exchange even using your Visa is much better than what calforex gives or any bank in canada for that matter.

kaput
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM

speedog
11-19-2010, 06:29 PM
When we went down to Costa Rica, we took a small amount of American and once there, just hit the bank machines for colones. Paid everything we bought for out of colones and pretty much didn't use our American money - was simpler that way.

And the comment way up about gorgeous women there - hell, there's gorgeous women, average women and ugly women every where including Costa Rica. Same goes for the guys per my wife.

bmeier
11-21-2010, 09:43 AM
^Perhaps, but you would be stupid to arrive there with nothing but USD and cards. Getting ripped off by Calforex is better than having to pay a cabbie in $20 increments at whatever imaginary exchange rate he demands because he 'doesn't have enough colones' to give change.

i did exactly that and didnt get ripped off but to each his own last year when i went calforex exchnage was off by 20-30 percent

rinny
11-21-2010, 10:26 AM
^Perhaps, but you would be stupid to arrive there with nothing but USD and cards. Getting ripped off by Calforex is better than having to pay a cabbie in $20 increments at whatever imaginary exchange rate he demands because he 'doesn't have enough colones' to give change.

Stupid? Not true at all. Take American, exchange 20-40 dollars at the airport exchange place AT. MOST for your first cab ride and get to a bank ASAP.

That being said, SJO airport has mandated that only the legitimate "yellow" cabs show up at the front doors to pick up travellers rather than the red "pirate" cabs. There is a very good chance that if you have reasonably small denominations of US dollars these taxis will take them for payment. Just be aware of roughly how much you're giving them.

Enough about money exchange.

I think we used the Adventura company for ziplines in Monteverde if you're up there. They have a line that is like 100+ yardds and you go out over a valley- incredible. As well they have a tarzan swing where you drop straight down and swing out. Well recommended!

yeahyeah
11-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Beware of guys named Zane.

nos_efx
02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm planning on going down this April to Costa Rica (Apr 15 - 23) for a bachelor party.

I heard the most of the country is on vacation during holy week for Easter, I believe it runs from the 18th to the 24th this year. My question is, with the proposed dates we are looking to go down, do we run a high risk of encoutering a lot of daytime activities being shut down and how badly does the nightlife suffer because of holy week?

A friend of mine contacted a mansion/resort beach facility in Jaco beach and he said traffic from the states is mostly affected by the holiday. He also mentioned the nightlife actually gets busier during holy week, due to more locals haivng the time off.

Anyone have first hand experience during this time?

Originally posted by bmeier
i was in Costa Rica last april and it was fucking awesome.

We rented a 4*4 and drove through the country, it was pretty intense...

place i suggest people to visit

la fortuna - arenal volcano
erupting volcano
cool hikes out doors stuff etc

monteverde cloud forest
ziplines
crazy birds
amazing views
probably the best B&B i have ever stayed
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g309277-d1381039-Reviews-Hidden_Canopy_Treehouses_Boutique_Hotel-Monteverde_Cloud_Forest_Reserve_Monteverde_Province_of_Puntarenas.html

mal pais
amazing surfing/beach
literally you have miles of beach to yourself
cool little town
its off the beaten path but definitely worthwhile if you can make it.

we drove and took the ferry all over costa rica. there are no road signs, and most roads are not paved. i suggest a GPS.

there are tons of other great places but those 3 stand out and are vastly different from each other.

i am not a fan of all inclusive resorts at all, i prefer to see the country myself.

bmeier
02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by nos_efx
I'm planning on going down this April to Costa Rica (Apr 15 - 23) for a bachelor party.

I heard the most of the country is on vacation during holy week for Easter, I believe it runs from the 18th to the 24th this year. My question is, with the proposed dates we are looking to go down, do we run a high risk of encoutering a lot of daytime activities being shut down and how badly does the nightlife suffer because of holy week?

A friend of mine contacted a mansion/resort beach facility in Jaco beach and he said traffic from the states is mostly affected by the holiday. He also mentioned the nightlife actually gets busier during holy week, due to more locals haivng the time off.

Anyone have first hand experience during this time?

i went april 16 last year, i didnt have any problems like that. its going into the green season at that time though which means it could start raining quite a bit (and never stop)

that being said, usually the weather is pretty good until later in may.

i didnt stay in any party resorts though or go bar hopping so if thats what you looking for i cant answer your questions. we stayed away from tourists mostly because to be honest i just wanted to relax.

urbannomad
02-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Try to go Island Hopping, i think you'll enjoy that.

haunt
02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Bumpin this thread.

I'm flying in to Liberia in a couple weeks for 2 weeks. Going to rent a car. Originally the plan was to check out Arenal and Monteverde first for 4 days. Then head way back over to Tamarindo for a few days and then rip down the pacific coast to Montezuma. Then back up to Liberia. After reading this thread I was pretty set on checking out Tamarindo for the partying. But it seems like its really out of the way for just the one location.
If I skip Tamarindo, I'd head from Monteverde down to Jaco and Manuel Antonio. Then maybe take a ferry over to Montezuma.

So is Tamarindo and the north pacific coast really worth the trip? I've never surfed before, but I'm planning on trying it. The Nicoya Penninsula seems like a really chill area from comments I've read. Is it worth the ferry over?

Am I moving around too much considering the short time?

turbotrip
02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by haunt
So is Tamarindo and the north pacific coast really worth the trip?

yes

bmeier
02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by haunt
Bumpin this thread.

I'm flying in to Liberia in a couple weeks for 2 weeks. Going to rent a car. Originally the plan was to check out Arenal and Monteverde first for 4 days. Then head way back over to Tamarindo for a few days and then rip down the pacific coast to Montezuma. Then back up to Liberia. After reading this thread I was pretty set on checking out Tamarindo for the partying. But it seems like its really out of the way for just the one location.
If I skip Tamarindo, I'd head from Monteverde down to Jaco and Manuel Antonio. Then maybe take a ferry over to Montezuma.

So is Tamarindo and the north pacific coast really worth the trip? I've never surfed before, but I'm planning on trying it. The Nicoya Penninsula seems like a really chill area from comments I've read. Is it worth the ferry over?

Am I moving around too much considering the short time?

its a really small place so depending on how fast you drive and many times you get lost it doesnt take too long to get across the country. you will want a 4*4 aside from the main highway most roads are gravel or extremely rough paved. you also might have to cross some rivers with the car, but it is certainly fun. GPS definitely makes life easier.