PDA

View Full Version : How to Drive ... Better

rook
03-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Seeing as it's getting nice out, and there will be tons more drivers on the roads testing our reflexes (hang up and drive!!), I thought I'd mention that there's a great set of advanced driving courses available for the taking at Race City.

They're put on by Track Techniques -- I took the course last summer, and I loved it! Not only did I learn how to drive better (thanks to a great instructor -- who used to, and still does, race), but I'm also able to go back for any of their lapping nights -- 5 to 9pm of pure, joyous track time!

There's a world of unaware drivers out there ... might as well gain as much skill as possible to get out of tight spots. ;) And what better place than on the track? Nice and safe, but still fast and awesome!

There are other courses you can take -- like the BMW one -- but I haven't had any experience with them. If you have, please share. I really believe that the best way to enjoy your car, and keep it pristine, is to know how to use it the best you can.

davidm_86
03-31-2010, 11:22 AM
I also took this last summer and plan on attending a number of lapping nights this summer.

The course gave me a lot more respect for my car and what it's capable of. I learned a lot about proper balance, proper turning techniques, etc. I have a lot more practicing to do!

The instructors were great as well. It's even more amazing to let them drive it around for a few hot laps.

FiveFreshFish
03-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by rook
I took the course last summer, and I loved it!

Were you driving one of the two Miatas that day?

rook
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Were you driving one of the two Miatas that day?

You mean on the website? Yes *edit: (the red one) ... if I'd known there'd be photos, I would have washed my car!

Along the same lines, I went to these guys to learn how to ride a motorcycle (and get my license too):

http://www.calgarysafetycouncil.com/CSCMotorcycleProgram.htm

Really helped boost my confidence.

FiveFreshFish
04-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I didn't know a pic of your car was on the website. I took that class and remember two Miatas.

Tik-Tok
04-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Am I the only one who kind of feels this is spam? Especially when we have a driving training sponsor? :dunno:

rook
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Am I the only one who kind of feels this is spam? Especially when we have a driving training sponsor? :dunno:

Is it? I didn't realize Beyond had its own instructor. Just thought I'd share my experiences with schools is all.

Tik-Tok
04-02-2010, 11:44 PM
You sign up and you're first couple of posts are the "track techniques" website... I'd call that spam.

banned3x
04-03-2010, 07:02 AM
You sign up and you're first couple of posts are the "track techniques" website... I'd call that spam.

what happened to your ffffffffuuuuuuuuu avatar? i like that one better

rook
04-03-2010, 11:56 AM

I noticed people talking about motocycle schools they took or were taking (websites included -- I posted one for the Calgary Safety Council too) ... I thought I'd mention a course I took for cars, and even asked others for their experiences with schools. How is that spam?

I've read about (on these forums), or experienced, lots of bad encounters with drivers so I thought I'd post a solution to the problem -- why not advocate more driver education?

I've reported myself in case you're right. Let the moderators decide and remove this thread if it is. Thanks for mentioning it. I won't post links anymore.

FiveFreshFish
04-03-2010, 04:10 PM
I see nothing wrong with this. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
04-03-2010, 04:14 PM
If I'm wrong, I'll admit my mistake, it just always smells fishy to me when the first post of a new forum member is a link to a local business.

Originally posted by banned3x

what happened to your ffffffffuuuuuuuuu avatar? i like that one better

Felt nostalgic a few days ago, so whipped this one up.