PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: HOW TO DRIVE THE McKENZIE TOWNE TRAFFIC CIRCLE

sillysod
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
This should be required viewing for all people visiting the SE.

I drive this every morning and can't count the number of times i have seen big diesels rolling coal in the outside lane all the way around.

Clicky Clicky (http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2009/07/video-how-to-drive-the-mckenzie-towne-traffic-circle/)

88CRX
03-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Can you drive around the outside as long as you yeild to inside traffic that turns out of the circle?

For the record I don't drive the outside.... just wondering if I can start on bad traffic days :rofl:

4doorj
03-31-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
Can you drive around the outside as long as you yeild to inside traffic that turns out of the circle?

For the record I don't drive the outside.... just wondering if I can start on bad traffic days :rofl:
haha no but sometimes its very tempting, but I don't want to be one of the people that do that hahahaha
Usually when I see people driving on the outside lane not exiting right away, I lay on the horn, it pisses me off because some car almost hit me going around the whole circle on the right lane. He was not yielding to me at all.
And it is true, it is very surprising that there isn't alot of accidents in the traffic circle.

davesparky6
03-31-2010, 02:57 PM
You can drive all the way around on the outside as long as you yield to the left (inside lane). If you can't then why do they have a lane that goes around the outside all the way?
However since nobody really knows how to use a traffic circle in this part of the world, it's best to just stick to the inside lane to go past more than 1 exit.
:rolleyes:

Dilmah
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

haha no but sometimes its very tempting, but I don't want to be one of the people that do that hahahaha
Usually when I see people driving on the outside lane not exiting right away, I lay on the horn, it pisses me off because some car almost hit me going around the whole circle on the right lane. He was not yielding to me at all.
And it is true, it is very surprising that there isn't alot of accidents in the traffic circle.

Wow "laying on the horn” why don't you get behind them too and flash your lights! Or look at them with that evil eye! That should teach them something; hopefully they're a new driver so they can pick up on your driving skills. Another traffic cop wanna be...

4doorj
03-31-2010, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah

Wow "laying on the horn” why don't you get behind them too and flash your lights! Or look at them with that evil eye! That should teach them something; hopefully they're a new driver so they can pick up on your driving skills. Another traffic cop wanna be...
When I'm trying to exit, and they have a chance of t-boning me, I'm sure laying on the horn isn't so bad.

I've actually seen someone get hit in there because of the right lane not yielding to the left lane.

I'm not saying I do it all the time, just the times when they are close to hitting me, or not yielding. I see this all the time. The people going around they aren't even looking to the left to see if there is a car in the left lane.

So you shouldn't assume I'm a jerk driver because of that.

prae
03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
I just about killed two faggots on harleys that were rollin around the outer lane of a traffic circle. Ughhh.

Tomaz
03-31-2010, 03:50 PM

This describes me perfectly! hahaha!

Im actually usually the guy on the horn ripping through the traffic circle so nobody hits me when i use it wrong! :poosie:

chkolny541
03-31-2010, 03:57 PM
wow, i was always under the impression that if you were in the outside lane , you MUST exit at the NEXT exit. I didnt know that you could go farther around, but had to yield to inside lane.

I have seen WAYYYY too many near misses in that circle

Zewind
03-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I'll wait till I get home to watch this.

Isnt any thing like the "How To Stop a Prius" Video?

If not, I demand it is redone in that theme

ercchry
03-31-2010, 04:04 PM
woooooowwww

Finally, he points out that the City planners who designed McKenzie Towne’s most distinguishing feature have not created your typical roundabout. Cst. Lebedeff is pretty sure traffic circles are only supposed to have one lane entering and one lane exiting.

The McKenzie Towne example, as residents know only too well, has two lanes. The extra lane has him scratching his military-style stubble.

really? and he is a traffic cop? :facepalm:

FraserB
03-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by prae
I just about killed two faggots on harleys that were rollin around the outer lane of a traffic circle. Ughhh.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/HarleyFags.jpg

Nismorphed
03-31-2010, 04:19 PM
I dont know what we would do without Cst. Lebedeff

89s1
03-31-2010, 04:49 PM

:facepalm:

Godfuader
03-31-2010, 05:03 PM
That video confused me further! Is it a reversed traffic pattern? 0:32 Should it not be anti-clockwise? I hate round-abouts. I wish GPS systems came with a 'Avoid Roundabouts' feature.

Supa Dexta
03-31-2010, 05:08 PM
First of all people don't know how to yield either.. So if you aren't exiting the very first exit you get to, then go to the inside, then merge out... You can't have people stopping on the outside lane to 'yield' to the inside... :rolleyes:

Dilmah
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

When I'm trying to exit, and they have a chance of t-boning me, I'm sure laying on the horn isn't so bad.

I've actually seen someone get hit in there because of the right lane not yielding to the left lane.

I'm not saying I do it all the time, just the times when they are close to hitting me, or not yielding. I see this all the time. The people going around they aren't even looking to the left to see if there is a car in the left lane.

So you shouldn't assume I'm a jerk driver because of that.

Sorry but speeding up to them and "laying on the horn" is different then using your horn as a warning device as you now try to describe it.

01RedDX
03-31-2010, 05:36 PM

4doorj
03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
In europe do they have signs on how to use a traffic circle?

ianmcc
04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I can't imagine changing from the inner to the outer lane inside the traffic circle to exit past the first exit as the Constable suggests. Each exit has two lanes-the inside lane for people exiting from the inner lane and the outer lane for people exiting from the outer lane. Why not change from the inner to the outer once you are clear of the circle? Watch that motorcycle cop in the video-he goes from the inner to the outer while in the process of exiting, not giving traffic in the outer lane a chance to make the first exit. He even states in the video that the outer lane is for entering and exiting and "you want to make sure that lane is clear for traffic to do their maneuvers". Could you imagine trying to make the first exit from the outer lane and have someone from the inner lane exit from your left merge straight into your lane? That is why there are two lanes exiting each exit!!!!!
Here is a better video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIANTXaj2c&feature=related

Jay911
04-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
That video confused me further! Is it a reversed traffic pattern? 0:32 Should it not be anti-clockwise? I hate round-abouts. I wish GPS systems came with a 'Avoid Roundabouts' feature.

I think you're perceiving the video wrong.. the way I see it, the roundabout is on the left of the video, and the right side is entry and exit lanes. The first vehicle that enters from the left side of the pic and drives into the background on the right is exiting the roundabout.

I ventured near the city maintenance yards the other day and found a new traffic circle that blew my mind. They've connected Dartmouth Road, 26 Ave, and Highfield in a traffic circle, along with the rail line! There is a series of railway crossings going right through the middle of the circle. Can't wait to see what fun this brings.

2EFNFAST
04-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Simple solution - drive in both lanes!

ercchry
04-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Jay911

I ventured near the city maintenance yards the other day and found a new traffic circle that blew my mind. They've connected Dartmouth Road, 26 Ave, and Highfield in a traffic circle, along with the rail line! There is a series of railway crossings going right through the middle of the circle. Can't wait to see what fun this brings.

yeah that thing is fun! i want to find myself over there when there is a train :rofl:

2EFNFAST
04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jay911

I saw that new masterpiece last week. That thing is fvcking insane! I had NO clue what to do, lol.

I wonder why they changed it form the old setup? The old one worked flawlessly. This .... I just don't know.

alloroc
04-01-2010, 02:05 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/225510/to-the-users-of-the-mckenzie-towne-traffic-circle/

http://www.calgaryarea.com/se/mckenziearea/mckenzietowne/trafficcircle/traffic.htm

88CRX
04-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I saw that new masterpiece last week. That thing is fvcking insane! I had NO clue what to do, lol.

I wonder why they changed it form the old setup? The old one worked flawlessly. This .... I just don't know.

Really? That old intersection was a gong show during rush hour.

But yes the new giant traffic circle (can't tell if it's suppose to be one or two lanes?) with a train track angled accross is pretty sweat haha. It's already closed back down so I assume they can fix the road that already sunk and dropped around the tracks. Fail.

Jay911
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Just heard on the news that the Dartmouth disaster is closed until the end of April. :dunno:

TorqueDog
04-02-2010, 11:07 AM
They should have gotten rid of the level crossings while they were working on it.

zieg
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
It's strange, there's a traffic circle at UBC in Vancouver, and I navigated it just fine every single day. Yet any time I try to take the one here, I get silly things happening such as people in the outside lane not letting me in, and I miss my exit. Every freaking time. :banghead:

pyroza
04-02-2010, 12:57 PM
That thing looks kinda confusing, but we don't have traffic circles down here