PDA

View Full Version : what to do about landlord

calepeters
03-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Hello, I am living with a roommate in an apartment building in calgary, The building is fairly old and I live on the 11th floor

what Im curious about is what to do about our landlord, the building needs several repairs, and the elevators are absolutly terrible, I am not kidding when i say it can be a 5-10 minute wait for an elevator and on occasion several other tenants including myself have been stuck in the elevator, it makes scraping sounds when it goes past certain floors and not only is it a nuisance but I believe it to be dangerous as we have had to call 911 to get help out of the elevator, we have voiced our concerns (as have most people in our building) and they say it is going to be too expensive to fix.

Jetta-2.0
03-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Call the city for a safety inspection

kaput
03-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Dilmah
03-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I say move out or if the city inspector does nothing then get all the tenants to threaten to move out if he doesn’t fix it. Of course that will most likely mean your rent will be going up...

BlackArcher101
03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Does the landlord own the building or just the apartment you are staying in? Is there a seperate management company/board taking care of the general conditions of the building?

Crymson
03-31-2010, 07:28 PM
There is a seminar coming up at the memorial library about tennant/landlords and the law. Not sure exactly when, just check the library website. Probably get some decent answers there.

trevh
03-31-2010, 08:20 PM
311 does wonders you would be amazed!:whipped:

HondaKid
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I find a bag of cement flushed down the toilet can gain a landlord's attention. The elevator sounds like a safety issue, the city will be interested. Call the fire department as well, certain to be code violations all over the place.

In the end, landlords are like genital warts, you can get them burned off but you can never be certain the warts are fully gone. Move, it is the only certain step.

*I have had great landlords really, only one sick prick in Calgary... oddly he is a lawyer, gee never saw that one coming.

calepeters
04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
the repairs are done by a seperate management board thank you all for your responses so far

Kloubek
04-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid
In the end, landlords are like genital warts, you can get them burned off but you can never be certain the warts are fully gone. Move, it is the only certain step.

*I have had great landlords really, only one sick prick in Calgary... oddly he is a lawyer, gee never saw that one coming.

Sounds like you have an intimate knowledge as to the treatment of genital warts as well...