PDA

View Full Version : cost of living adjustment between calgary and vancouver

TimG
04-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I might be getting a job in richmond and was wondering if any of you guys happen to know what the cost of living adjustment is like between here and vancouver?

i.e. if you make $xx,xxx/year in calgary you need to make $yy,yyyy in vancouver to keep the same lifestyle, etc.

Cos
04-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Really depends on the city. You pay less tax in BC but get taxed more in fuel, etc. etc. If you smoke, drink a lot, drive a gas guzzler you will be hurt.

In Vancouver your car will need to pass air care so if maintenance is lacking that may cost you a pretty penny.

As for housing, I found places to rent for about $1500.00 (2 bedroom old condo). You can find cheaper but in Vancouver some of the apartments can be really grungy. I looked at renting a condo one of my bosses owned so that was a better route for me.

I would say your best bet would be to look at housing and then include 10% for extra fuel & taxes.

TimG
04-01-2010, 08:04 AM
well, the potential job is in richmond, i have the option of richmond, south vancouver, south burnaby, etc.

i'm guessing that all of those satellite cities have independent municipal tax schemes?

ExtraSlow
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Keep in mind, gasoline is 15% more expensive, and provincial income tax is higher.
Real estate is more expensive in general, but I'm not sure about those areas specifically. I'd check out rentfaster dot ca to do some comparison shopping.

Cos
04-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by TimG
well, the potential job is in richmond, i have the option of richmond, south vancouver, south burnaby, etc.

i'm guessing that all of those satellite cities have independent municipal tax schemes?

AFAIK South Van is part of Vancouver. Richmond and Burnaby are their own cities.

My office was in Edmonds (Burnaby) and the condos that I was referring to were there. It also largely depends if you rent here, will rent there, sell here, buy there, etc.

kaput
04-01-2010, 08:48 AM

TimG
04-01-2010, 09:01 AM
fortunately i held off on buying a place here so i won't be taking it in the ass by having to sell in this depressed market.

as far as housing is concerned, I'll probably end up renting at first and then buying a place.

Rstar
04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Parking is cheaper in Vancouver

Pahnda
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by TimG
fortunately i held off on buying a place here so i won't be taking it in the ass by having to sell in this depressed market.

as far as housing is concerned, I'll probably end up renting at first and then buying a place.

Depressed market? In regards to housing prices? Wait a while and see depressed :devil:

Cos
04-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Keep in mind, gasoline is 15% more expensive, and provincial income tax is higher.

Actually just straight income tax in BC is less.

jfit09
04-03-2010, 09:01 AM
not to mention tax burden on the employer is higher in alberta than any other province, so they can afford to pay you more.

ExtraSlow
04-03-2010, 09:28 AM
I stand corrected, income tax is lower in BC.

However, if you include PST, your total tax burden is higher in BC than Alberta

Tik-Tok
04-03-2010, 09:48 AM
http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/Vancouverliving.asp

http://www.canadaimmigrants.com/Calgaryliving.asp

tenth
04-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I stand corrected, income tax is lower in BC.

However, if you include PST, your total tax burden is higher in BC than Alberta
BC income tax is equal to AB income tax at something like 80 or 85k. Above that, AB is less. Below that, BC is less.

FiveFreshFish
04-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by tenth

BC income tax is equal to AB income tax at something like 80 or 85k. Above that, AB is less. Below that, BC is less.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html#provincial

Ajay
04-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Keep in mind that BC will be introducing the HST July 1, 2010.

While it dissolves the tax on certain things (i.e. gas) it will increase the cost on other things.

That said Van is a beautiful city and Richmond has some of the better sushi restaurants.

revelations
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
As far as where to live for the first little while.... try to live closest to where you work ie. STAY IN RICHMOND.... you want to AVOID driving on the major bridges if all possible, otherwise you will regret it.

This is one of the major reasons why traffic sux 10x more balls in Van than in Calgary - the bridges.

ddduke
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure about exact prices of Richmond. But I have lived in downtown Van for years and most things are more expensive.

I rented a 2 bedroom, 1 bath on Smithe, right in Yaletown, and cost was $2500, where similar places in calgary are in the $1100-$1300 range. I would goto the safeway on Granville Island and groceries would cost me $220-$240 where in Calgary I only spent about $140. On average Gas was about 12cents higher in van. As for going out, throw away any ideas of Calgary's $5 cover, in Van cover starts at $15(ceili's) at most places and goes up to $30(crush) on an average night, and drinks/dining are also inflated.

But there are some things that are a fair bit cheaper. for example, there are tanning salons downtown that you can drop in at for $3 where in Calgary it's $15 everywhere. Also, my golds membership in calgary is nearly $60 a month where my World Gym membership downtown van is only $30.

As for where to live, I definitely say don't stray far from home. It's not uncommon for me to take 2.5-3 hours to make it home from Coquitlam (only 25ish km).

Majestic12
04-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm living in Vancouver now, and with the Canada line skytrain, you could live anywhere along that route and access Richmond in less than half an hour. Trains come frequently...usually no more than 5 minutes apart, usually about 3 minutes.

Real estate costs in Vancouver are crazy, but food is much cheaper (and better).

Also, Calgary is a sausage party compared to Vancouver.

revelations
04-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Majestic12
Also, Calgary is a sausage party compared to Vancouver.

Ya but the women in Vancouver - are as cold as the rain in the winter!

(Vancouver, not Richmond, Burnaby - no need to mention Surrey girls)

Shogged
04-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/fq/txrts-eng.html#provincial

interesting, I didn't know alberta had the only flat tax rate in canada. really shows how conservative this place is haha