PDA

View Full Version : New Job Asking How Much I Make?

stealth
04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
So I was offered a job with another company, and lied to them about my current rate of pay so that I could get more out of them.

Now they hired an outside source to do background checks and one of the checks include proof of previous employment, and they ask how much I made. I have the option of them not contacting my current employer.

Now the thing is the rate of pay I told them that I would be making, I will in fact be making that amount of money in 6 months with my current employer (Quicker progression rate, as opposed to new company).

I was wondering if this could possible back-fire on me? To me it seems like I do not have to indicate how much I currently make, and all I need to do is provide them with proof that I am in-fact working here.

I could just tell them that my raise does not kick in until a certain time or when I pass the exams required to progress.

Jlude
04-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Probably wasn't wise to lie to them... but just say that the raise is already known and been awarded, just doesn't kick in till *insert date* and that's why you felt it was relevant.

bubbley
04-01-2010, 10:08 AM
holy crap that is pretty intense, which field/industry is this in?

lint
04-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Tell them not to contact your present employer.

cressida_pimpin
04-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by lint
Tell them not to contact your present employer.

And you don't think that sounds sketchy?

Ajay
04-01-2010, 10:38 AM
It may not be sketchy. They put that option on the background check sheet for a reason.

Sometimes potential employees don't want another company contacting their current employer so their current employer doesn't know they're looking elsewhere.

That does sound intense though. What type of position and what industry is this in?

lint
04-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

And you don't think that sounds sketchy?

Why would it sound sketchy? Unless your employer knows that you're looking elsewhere, keep that shit private until you have an offer or you could jeopardize your current job.

Unknown303
04-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I checked the don't contact my current employer box and I was hired by the company. And it was for the exact reason stated above. I didn't want the company I was currently working at knowing I was looking else where.

baygirl
04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Let's hope they don't ask for a paystub.

Dilmah
04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Where I work they will only provide facts that are not personal information. So from what I understand they will provide the start date, the fact that I do work there or my end date. Nothing about my performance or pay will be disclosed. My performance can be asked to my references and my pay can be asked to me. An example is when I went to the bank for a loan, I got a letter of employment from the company and all it said is that I do work there and started on whatever date, nothing else. It was then up to me to provide proof of income through paystubs.

Kloubek
04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
^^ That is how it is SUPPOSED to work.

I would not rely on that information not being exposed because it isn't SUPPOSED to.

But if you have a backup plan - as in - that you WILL be paid that amount, then you might have a failsafe.

lint
04-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by baygirl
Let's hope they don't ask for a paystub.

Let's hope you're smart enough not to give them one. What you're actually making at a current job has no bearing on what your pay should be at another company. You give them that info and they'll use it against you. you get that information from them (salary range for the position) and you use it against them.

Mar
04-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Tell them to mind their own business. I wouldn't give out that information.

Cos
04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
if that place is not government or DOD then I would tell them to F off or not work there. Seems pretty intense for just the interview, what would working there be like.

Godfuader
04-01-2010, 12:37 PM
They cannot ask you what your income was. Your former employer cannot give out that information either. The former employer can only validate dates of employment and position. Never give your current income to potential employers. Your compensation should be based on what you bring to the table, and what that is worth to the new company.

Originally posted by Dilmah
An example is when I went to the bank for a loan, I got a letter of employment from the company and all it said is that I do work there and started on whatever date, nothing else. It was then up to me to provide proof of income through paystubs.
What bank does not require you to have proof of income? Unless your credit score is super high, or your bank knows you very well, proof of income is required to determine your debt ratio/afford-ability.

stealth
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Yea, I indicated that I do not want them contacted (for obvious reasons).

If they need proof of employment, I have a very basic letter of employment that I can provide.

Zero102
04-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Dilmah
It was then up to me to provide proof of income through paystubs.

Originally posted by Godfuader

What bank does not require you to have proof of income? Unless your credit score is super high, or your bank knows you very well, proof of income is required to determine your debt ratio/afford-ability.

I thought he said they DID require proof of income, only it was from him not the employer?

:dunno:

Godfuader
04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Zero102
I thought he said they DID require proof of income, only it was from him not the employer?
:dunno:
I must have read it wrong. Seemed like he was saying that for a bank loan he just needs an employment letter, and the proof of income was up to him to provide it or not. Guess what he meant was that an employment letter only has other details, whereas income he has to provide separately.

GSXRDUDE
04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes don't lie, i screwed myself over by lieing, i told the employer i was applying for that my previous position i was laid off but in reality it was on contract work....so they found out that i lied about that and would of hired me but they didnt....fml

swak
04-08-2010, 10:35 PM
In my current job ive had the opposite in problems so it can be a double edged sword.

I had, i had come from another company that is a lot more prestigious to work for, however, i got a better offer at the place where i was applying for.
Everyone wouldn't believe me forever that i worked at _____, so this then hurt my chances for promotion, etc.

Then i went for a company outing at the chicago chophouse, and a very well known manager from my past job (known between businesses) saw me there, we talked a bit, then ever since then, my reputation at where i am now has noticeably skyrocketed.
All because they DIDNT call my previous employer.

Mys73ri0
04-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by bubbley
holy crap that is pretty intense, which field/industry is this in?

Originally posted by Mar
Tell them to mind their own business. I wouldn't give out that information.

Originally posted by Cos
if that place is not government or DOD then I would tell them to F off or not work there. Seems pretty intense for just the interview, what would working there be like.

I'm pretty sure the third party company is something like Backcheck. They dont normally ask about salary. They just need/want to confirm you were working where you stated.

If you're dealing with people's personal info such as address+SIN or anything like that (usually financial field) it's not uncommon for a company to look up your past.

89s1
04-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Let's say you make 52,000 a year, and are looking... I wouldn't entertain offers for jobs that pay 52k. Sacrificing the stability you've got at one place for a brand new job at the exact same pay rate where you need to make it through the 90 day probation is illogical.

That being said.... I just took a pay cut from my last job to get into a place near the bottom with way more potential looking forward.

Zero102
04-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't see how any potential employer can feel justified in asking what you made at a previous job. The only thing that matters is what the position is really worth to them and you. If they are asking what you made before they are admitting that they are about to low-ball you.

I've been asked that question in almost every job interview and I refuse to answer it directly, my strategy is to redirect. I either respond by asking them what they think my position is worth or if I know exactly what I think a job is worth I will instead tell them that my rate of pay at the old job is irrelevant, and that it would take XX$/year for me to start with their company. Sure a couple people have taken this badly along the way but for the most part the people doing the interviewing respect a straight-forward attitude.

token logger
04-20-2010, 08:42 PM
i don't see it as a lie if you are in line for a raise where you currently are, not to many people leave current jobs for less or the same money, there has to be some incentive to jump over.

:thumbsup: