PDA

View Full Version : question from a noob

calgarygts
04-01-2010, 11:19 AM
So I've had the same camera for a few years now, a Canon S1 IS. It's been a good camera for me, taken a ton of abuse and keeps on working perfectly. What I'm wondering is for a guy that isn't really all that good at photography and will likely not put in effort to get much better is it worth it for me to get a newer camera? The only beef I have is that it's only 3.2MP which isn't translating into big enough pics if I want to make bigger prints. Other than that, is there really a reason for me to bother getting a newer model? Would my pics really be any better with a new model? I really have no idea what's changed since then, or if any new tech would help noobs like myself take better pics.

Kloubek
04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
If a camera works for you, then buying a new one is probably only adding expense. However, you say that you require something with more resolution - which is a good reason to upgrade.

(Do you actually ever have the need for bigger prints?)

The pics might be slightly better, but I think the lens is what primarily results in better pictures.

Go4Long
04-01-2010, 11:30 AM
the other thing to keep in mind is the changes to the rest of the technology in the camera since the S1. Better focus, especially in lower light is pretty much a given, and all the other various toys that have been added to the P&S range in the last few years.

Mitsu3000gt
04-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by calgarygts
So I've had the same camera for a few years now, a Canon S1 IS. It's been a good camera for me, taken a ton of abuse and keeps on working perfectly. What I'm wondering is for a guy that isn't really all that good at photography and will likely not put in effort to get much better is it worth it for me to get a newer camera? The only beef I have is that it's only 3.2MP which isn't translating into big enough pics if I want to make bigger prints. Other than that, is there really a reason for me to bother getting a newer model? Would my pics really be any better with a new model? I really have no idea what's changed since then, or if any new tech would help noobs like myself take better pics.

Megapixels don't mean much these days but 3.2 is definitely on the lower end of things if you like to do any printing. If you just share pics via e-mail and such with friends and family, print 4X6's, etc. you don't even need more than 3.2.

What do you typically like to take pictures of?

What do you wish was different about your camera (if anything)?

If you did upgrade, did you have another point&shoot camera in mind, or a digital SLR?

ExtraSlow
04-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Low light performance has significantly improved over the last few years.

Tomaz
04-01-2010, 12:09 PM
i think it would be worth the upgrade. Spending $200 - $300 on a PAS right now is a pretty good investment into decent pics. A lot of things have changed, and can really make a difference in quality of the photos you are taking.

calgarygts
04-01-2010, 01:16 PM
hmm...sounds like maybe it would be worth it to me. Personally the two problems I have with my camera are that it's too bulky - I would much rather have a smaller point and shoot as it's just a pain in the arse to carry around that S1. The other is the pixels, I do have photos I'd like to print but they're just not as big as I want them to be.

I'm taking pics of a variety of things - landscapes, portraits and a lot of action shots (snowboarding, rugby, etc.). I'd very much like to have something that will take a fairly high FPS for action stuff, not sure if that's going to be very good with a small camera or not. Any suggestions on a 250ish dollar PAS? Or is there a price point that gives you great bang for your buck?

Thanks for all the help.

One more thing, I beat up on my stuff so if something is known to be more durable that would help.

Mitsu3000gt
04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by calgarygts
I'd very much like to have something that will take a fairly high FPS for action stuff, not sure if that's going to be very good with a small camera or not. Any suggestions on a 250ish dollar PAS? Or is there a price point that gives you great bang for your buck?

Thanks for all the help.

If you are serious about that statement, sounds to me like you would be best served with an entry level DSLR. Nothing like that exists in the P&S market. The autofocus systems can track the subject no problem, and you can shoot at 3-4 pictures per second for a long time. Those are 2 things no point and shoot can do and make photographing action worlds easier. You 'd be looking at $500+ though, rather than the $250 you are hoping for. Its basically better than any P&S in every way I can think of except for size/portability.

ExtraSlow
04-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I have a DSLR, but for everyday use, I use a Canon PowerShot SD750, which was new about three years ago. It's small enough to fit in my shirt pocket, which means I can actually carry it around with me. For things like holiday snaps and the like, it's 90% as good as the DSLR, but way more convienent, and cheaper if I happen to break it. I'm a huge fan of the smaller Canon P+S cameras.