PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Jetta TDI reliability

Accident
04-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Hey guys,

I was thinking about buying a Jetta TDI but i dont realy know much about them, so i was wondering if anybody know if they were reliable, easy to fix, and if they last a long time because i eventually want to give it to my sister once she gets her drivers. Ive come across a some sites that say their horrible but they i also find just as many sites saying their amazing. I hope that sombody has had first hand experience with this type of vehicle or that is knowlegable and could help me learn more about it.

Thanks for your time i would appreciate the help.

clem24
04-01-2010, 08:36 PM
:facepalm:

RMS
04-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Occasional problems on this vehicle are failures of the Timing Belt and Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor (4 cylinder engines only), the Ignition Power Stage (1.8L engine only), the Intake Manifold Air Induction Passages (1.9L engine only), and the Water Pump, gasoline engines only. Problems with the Water Pump can result in engine overheating. The cost to replace the Timing Belt is estimated at $62.00 for parts and $195.00 for labor on the gasoline engines, and $63.00 for parts and $175.50 for labor on diesel engines. The cost to replace the MAF Sensor is estimated at $380.00 for parts and $58.50 for labor. Volkswagen has issued a warranty extension due to the high number of MAF Sensor failures. MAF Sensors are now warranted for 7 years, 70,000 miles on 1999 through 2001 models. The cost to replace the Ignition Power Stage is estimated at $125.00 for parts and $52.00 for labor. The cost to clean the carbon from the Intake Manifold Air Induction Passages is estimated at $11.00 for parts and $169.00 for labor. The cost to replace the Water Pump is estimated at $81.00 for parts and $208.00 for labor. All prices are estimates based on $65.00 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

darthVWader
04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Check to below link. Lots of TDI info

http://forums.tdiclub.com/

ricosuave
04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
they are good, as long as you know the maintenance history and most importantly, the tb has been changed and the right oil has been used in it.

That being said DO NOT take it to a dealer, even for a prepurchase inspection.

Lots of good VW shops in town, such as tunedub or midtown service.

btimbit
04-01-2010, 10:48 PM
It's not uncommon to see a mk4 tdi with 400k+ on it.

adidas
04-01-2010, 10:51 PM
Do not take any of the prices in RMS's post serious, those are so off. It should be much more.

btimbit
04-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Do not take any of the prices in RMS's post serious, those are so off. It should be much more.

Yeah. My timing belt and water pump came to $800 total on a 1.8t, his estimates might be correct if you're using a canadian tire belt and a 1st year apprentice to install it.

Cozmanator
04-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I own a ALH engine TDI (2001) , and I must say its incredibly rock solid. Now getting a TDI automatic, is a pretty bad idea ; they are known to fail. Most hardcore vdubers know that the ALH motor and manual tranny = best life out of ANY vw. Like the others said, dont go to the stealership for maintence.. you'll be paying out of ur ass.

Its a very very reliable car if it has a manual transmission, and the maintenance done on time. Most VAG parts are in the same price range, but you can always buy parts online for cheaper too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away...

Accident
04-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys ive decided that i probably wont buy one it seems too expensive to work on. just going to continue my search with a toyota or a honda

Wrinkly
04-02-2010, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by adidas

Quite! I was quoted $1500 at the Audi dealer for a 2.0T A4 and $1000 at Tunedub. Parts only from the dealer are $600 and online (kit inc water pump and all the bits) about $300

r3ccOs
04-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Wrinkly

Quite! I was quoted $1500 at the Audi dealer for a 2.0T A4 and $1000 at Tunedub. Parts only from the dealer are $600 and online (kit inc water pump and all the bits) about $300

The job is labour intensive... VW MK4's are so rediculously over-engineered, even changing the light bulb or battery is hard enough.

I picked up a waterpump/timing belt kit for under $300, but it did take me a very long time, as there is no room to perform this work without lowering the engine. Fricking transmounts... same with sparkplugs... you have to remove the intake manifold, and all the injector harnests etc... so you have to buy a kit for gaskets and such, just to get to the plugs.

Graham_A_M
04-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by btimbit

Yeah. My timing belt and water pump came to $800 total on a 1.8t, his estimates might be correct if you're using a canadian tire belt and a 1st year apprentice to install it.
Yeah good call on avoiding VW. My buddy had a 2000 Jetta, it was a fucking disaster, complete Lemon. :nut:

nismodrifter
04-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Cozmanator
I own a ALH engine TDI (2001) , and I must say its incredibly rock solid. Now getting a TDI automatic, is a pretty bad idea ; they are known to fail. Most hardcore vdubers know that the ALH motor and manual tranny = best life out of ANY vw. Like the others said, dont go to the stealership for maintence.. you'll be paying out of ur ass.

Its a very very reliable car if it has a manual transmission, and the maintenance done on time. Most VAG parts are in the same price range, but you can always buy parts online for cheaper too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask away...

werd to this. Have a 2000 + 2001 TDI in our garage. The 2000 has 150k on it, the 2001 has over 230k on it now. Both have yet to disappoint. I would not hesitate to add another TDI to the stable :D.