PDA

View Full Version : What to do...

G
08-30-2002, 11:50 AM
My friend who bought my Prelude lives in Edson Alberta and last night the had a major flash flood. The streets became a river. The Prelude has a AEM CAI with no bypass valve. Yes after I told him not to drive in heavy rain he did anyways. As a result he hydro locked the engine and the car just stalled. What is the worst case scenario here? Does he have to replace the entire engine? How much is a replacement engine for a 2000 Prelude?

GT2NV
08-30-2002, 12:02 PM
Oooooo........... what a retard.. ouch man thats so harsh:( i dont even wanna know how much it is for a new engine... probably around 8000$ but i have no clue in hell:dunno: sorry dude:(

trendkill
08-30-2002, 12:13 PM
OMFG. DUMB ASS. tell him to get another job man, he'll need the $$$

5gluder
08-30-2002, 12:14 PM
Tell him to put the stock intake on and take it to the dealership.

Zephyr
08-30-2002, 12:32 PM
doesn't insurance cover that kinda stuff? i know it does here in the states

bosa
08-30-2002, 12:35 PM
OMG!Holy crap that sucks:thumbsdow.....He may have to buy a new engine,around 7-8 grand for a 2000 prelude:dunno: But ya doesn't he have insurance for that kind of problem?

G
08-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by trendkill
OMFG. DUMB ASS. tell him to get another job man, he'll need the $$$

I'm sure that money is not a problem for a pharmacist. Plus you weren't there so you don't know exactly what happened. Don't be rude.

GT2NV
08-30-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr
doesn't insurance cover that kinda stuff? i know it does here in the states
hmmmmm im not sure..... but i am sure you need special insurance for performance modifications eitherwise its not covered.... dont quote me on it though:dunno:

2000impreza
08-30-2002, 12:43 PM
the heads are probably still good. rods are probably bend. crank might be messed too. worse case would be replace the bottom end.

EDIT: i thought insurance covered stuff like this:confused:

Zephyr
08-30-2002, 01:08 PM
here in the states we have a special insurance company that covers modified cars with performance parts for any disaster....or at least thats what i heard existed...

egmike
08-30-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 5gluder
Tell him to put the stock intake on and take it to the dealership.

Thats what I would do , Let the warrenty pick up the cost of repair

Ben
08-30-2002, 02:07 PM
here in the states we have a special insurance company that covers modified cars with performance parts for any disaster....or at least thats what i heard existed...

Damn, thats gotta be expensive premiums!!!

frenchdriver
08-30-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Damn, thats gotta be expensive premiums!!!

I don't think they are dude... i think we are just getting screwed hard core in canada.

:dunno:

James
08-30-2002, 02:47 PM
If its a 2000 shouldnt it most likely still have warranty?:dunno: just return it to stock, and take it to the dealership.

eludeu
08-30-2002, 04:03 PM
For all 97 - 01 preludes when installing the AEM CAI you must cut a HOLE from the engine bay into the bumper to make room for the piping. Besdies a larger than normal hole I dont know if returning it to stock will help but i guess its worth a try.

legendboy
08-30-2002, 04:13 PM
I would pull the oil pan off and have a look if there is any water before I even tried to start it up.

del-lude
08-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Insurance should cover it if he has full coverage and the rates shouldn't go up cause it is a natural cause (flooding). Thats how my policy works anyways.:dunno:

LUDELVR
08-30-2002, 05:24 PM

That's weird how you would have insurance to cover modified cars, but I always hear that cops say "you have an illigal modification to your car"! WTF! They allow you to insure it but the cops pull you over anyway! Sorry, a bit off topic but it just seems stupid!!

infamous
08-30-2002, 08:34 PM
damn that sucks. if i were him i would return it to stock and take it to the dealership. that would be his best bet

OMOYYC
08-31-2002, 02:19 AM
Another vote for stocking and returning to dealership. Use that warranty!

4wheeldrift
08-31-2002, 07:54 AM
Here's a question, why would the dealership warranty a hydrolocked engine? The design of most stock intakes is such that its nearly impossible to suck enough water into it to hydrolock it. The dealership is going to know somethings up, and is likely going to laugh in his face. The warranty is to cover manufacturing defects/inadequacies, not owner doofus moments.

Besides, its quite possible the car just stalled due to wet electronics or something else. Do like legendboy suggested and take off the oil pan first before you even try and start the car again.

5.9 R/T
08-31-2002, 04:58 PM
Just to add to what 4wheel said, once the dealer examines the internals of the motor (assuming he gets that far before telling your buddy to FO) he will know exactly what happened. So you'll still be out a motor, and with expensive dealership repair costs too. Not to mention possible fraud charges for lieing about what happened to claim warrenty. Not worth it IMO.