PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai/Kickboxing in Calgary

TravisD62
04-02-2010, 02:48 PM
hey guys, wondering if anyone has any reccomendations for a good muay thai gym in calgary. NOT mike miles would be fantastic, i'm not looking to compete or anything crazy just need to get back in shape and get some flexibility back. i had a pretty bad back injury, went from 230ish to just over 200 and can barely touch my hands to my shins my flexibility is so brutal. cardio has gone to hell blah blah blah, im 6'7" and looking for a beginner friendly place without huge class sizes. any help would be appreciated, thanks!

pf0sh0
04-02-2010, 03:07 PM
bdbma in the NE, great gym!

adidas
04-02-2010, 03:15 PM
I think you need to hit the weights first.

6'7 and 200lbs lol

TravisD62
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
hey hey now, i'm not a little guy by any means.
i was hitting the weights for over three years, i started working out at 149lbs. i'm at a comfortable size, and muscle memory is a wonderful thing. i just don't have the bone structure to walk around like a mac truck and i don't really care to either. ANYWAYS bdb seems like a good place, anyone else have anything to comment on it? i've been hearing good things about canuckles gym on mcleod too.

1-Bar
04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by TravisD62
hey hey now, i'm not a little guy by any means.
i was hitting the weights for over three years, i started working out at 149lbs. i'm at a comfortable size, and muscle memory is a wonderful thing. i just don't have the bone structure to walk around like a mac truck and i don't really care to either. ANYWAYS bdb seems like a good place, anyone else have anything to comment on it? i've been hearing good things about canuckles gym on mcleod too.

ewww, pls don't....IIRC Trevor TNT Smandych opened up his gym (or in the process of) in Calgary, something you might wanna check out too....

BDB is a good gym too, haven't been to kickboxing class personally, but Nick and Brad (when he's healthy) are great instructors.

nj2Type-S
04-02-2010, 04:57 PM
OP, what area in calgary do you live in?

TravisD62
04-02-2010, 05:02 PM
i'm right off of 17th ave and 14 st sw. the drive to wherever doesn't bother me too too much. i'm all over calgary due to work, school, family etc. i like that i keep hearing good things about bdb, just really after the beginner friendly thing. i'm not overweight or anything, just in bad physical shape from being restricted from basically every physical activity for the last year. being a tall guy, i worry about my heart and want to try keep active i just get sick of running way too easily. haha, and i love the sport. thanks again for the input though

nj2Type-S
04-02-2010, 05:14 PM
bdb is awesome. i've been going there for almost 5 yrs now and pretty much everyone i know that goes there are very friendly (especially 1-Bar...if you know what i mean. oh, and not from personal experience, lol!). i wouldn't worry about being a beginner there since everyone will help you out.

there's a 1 week free trial in which you can try all the classes during that trial period. classes include: muay thai/kickboxing, bjj, wrestling and capoiera. check out their website at www.bdbma.com for more details.

muay thai classes can be big on weekdays but saturday classes are usually pretty quiet. i'd say the average class size on weekdays would be between 20 - 25 people and around 10 - 15 people on saturdays.

TravisD62
04-02-2010, 05:16 PM
that sounds awesome, thank you very much. hopefully i'll be able to drop by sometime next week! any tips for the first day sort of thing? just bring shorts and a t-shirt?

Bizzareo
04-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I think sait has some classes, not sure if its kick boxing.

I do know they do kendo, ju jitsu and some other martial arts.

nj2Type-S
04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
no problem! yeah, just bring a pair of shorts, a t-shirt and lots of water. they do sell bottled water and gatorade there but there are no water fountains. i would honestly suggest getting your own gloves since the loaner gloves are...eww, lol.

1-Bar
04-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
(especially 1-Bar...if you know what i mean. oh, and not from personal experience, lol!)....

haha, you'll know soon....i might pop in next week!! Although I say that all the time. Friday's pads class there is fun too, you should try and check that out!

nj2Type-S
04-02-2010, 05:52 PM
you always say that, man. hahaha. i'll be in tomorrow at 11 if you want to drop by, 1-Bar.

4doorj
04-02-2010, 07:20 PM
I take kickboxing at mckenzie town golds gym.
I only take it for the exercise too. Pretty small class, I like it. Really fun!

j.garner
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Trevor smandych was my trainer at mike miles in nw he knows what hes doing and is pretty beginner friendly

Kinjou
04-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Didn't Trevor leave MM in the NW? I heard he took a lot of people with him..

j.garner
04-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Not sure if he has I trained there about 2 years ago.

j.garner
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Kinjou
Didn't Trevor leave MM in the NW? I heard he took a lot of people with him..

If so where did he go?

The_1
04-05-2010, 04:31 PM
He opened his own gym
search his name in facebook for all the details

.jl-
04-15-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm also looking for a good muay thai/ kickboxing gym preferably in the NW

chathamf
04-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Bump for good gyms in the NW area.

I heard good things about MM, but am interested in knowing of other decent gyms in the area for a decent price.

I have no experience in fighting, so looking for something very beginner friendly.

Soreshins
04-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Seconded for BDB. Been training there for around 18 months - great gym, friendly atmosphere and great coaches.

I live close to 17th Ave and 14st SW too and, whilst the gym location is not ideal for me, it's pretty much always possible to get to classes and well worth the effort.

chathamf
04-19-2010, 07:57 AM
http://www.bjjfightclub.com/

Anyone train with these guys in Bowness?

Integra10
04-20-2010, 09:31 PM
bdb is awesome. i've been going there for almost 5 yrs now and pretty much everyone i know that goes there are very friendly (especially 1-Bar...if you know what i mean. oh, and not from personal experience, lol!). i wouldn't worry about being a beginner there since everyone will help you out.

there's a 1 week free trial in which you can try all the classes during that trial period. classes include: muay thai/kickboxing, bjj, wrestling and capoiera. check out their website at www.bdbma.com for more details.

muay thai classes can be big on weekdays but saturday classes are usually pretty quiet. i'd say the average class size on weekdays would be between 20 - 25 people and around 10 - 15 people on saturdays.

I think i'm gonna start going there, what are the age groups like? How many classes do you attend a week?

nj2Type-S
04-22-2010, 12:34 PM
^the age group is pretty wide. i've seen members from 13 yrs old to 45 yrs old (like Soreshins, lol jk).

unfortunately, i can only make it to the muay thai classes. i go about 3 times a week.

Integra10
04-22-2010, 02:12 PM
^the age group is pretty wide. i've seen members from 13 yrs old to 45 yrs old (like Soreshins, lol jk).

unfortunately, i can only make it to the muay thai classes. i go about 3 times a week.

Thanks for the help!! I'm gonna join up when I get back from Montreal.

Rstar
04-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Hard to give a good recommendation without knowing how many Affliction shirts and neck tattoos you have.

Integra10
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Rstar
Hard to give a good recommendation without knowing how many Affliction shirts and neck tattoos you have.

/bad joke :banghead:

Soreshins
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM

i'm a young and energetic 40......:nut: :facepalm:

Little Dragon
04-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Bump for gyms in the NW

Does anyone know if Calgary has a Krav Maga studio in the NW?
Only one I've found is one in the south, and that's a rather long drive.

nj2Type-S
04-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Soreshins

i'm a young and energetic 40......:nut: :facepalm:

you're 40!? you're looking pretty fit for a 40 yr old, then!

B20EF
05-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Why do you guys say not to go to Mike Miles? Are any facilities actually better or do you just have personal problems with management?

einstein135
05-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Has anyone been to 5 Elements?

I heard Trevor Smandych has his own gym in Ranchlands? am I way off though? He isnt associated with MM now?

j.garner
05-10-2010, 10:01 AM
I know trevor use to run the mike miles gym in ranchlands. not sure if he opened up his oown there.

nj2Type-S
05-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by B20EF
Why do you guys say not to go to Mike Miles? Are any facilities actually better or do you just have personal problems with management?

i've personally been to mike miles at both ranchlands and the one on blackfoot and i honestly can't say anything bad about them. they've been really nice to me the times that i've been there and their facilities are sweet. i like how they've got a ring that you can spar in and stuff. my personal preference is with bdb because i've been there for a long while now and i pretty much know everyone. but as far as mike miles goes, i think they've got awesome facilities and their instructions are top notch!

FYI, both of our muay thai instructors used to train at mike miles.

j.garner
05-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree i trained at ranchlands location for mike miles and really enjoyed it was always treated with nothing but respect. Never been to bdb so im not sure what its like.

03ozwhip
05-11-2010, 01:15 PM
smandych is a beast and knows what hes doing. i trained with him for 3 years back in the day at Mike Miles downtown. aside from my knee getting buggered up while training, i have nothing but good things to say about the training they do there.

steveo987865
05-24-2010, 12:10 AM
A good gym is Arashi-do in the north east. Classes Monday through thursday night. I've been going there for a year now. There's one in almost every section of the city.

Everyone has their MM story and it usually goes the same. "He's kind of a dick."

chathamf
11-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Bump for some more info.

Live in Edgemont and looking for a boxing or muay Thai club in decent proximity. Mike Miles left Ranch lands. Any suggestions?

Anyone ever trained at the Bowmont Boxing club?

Little Dragon
11-01-2014, 03:43 PM
^ Check out MMA University. They got a decent muay thai class.
Its right next to Speeders (near Fedex/UPS).

Soreshins
11-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Can highly recommend WTM Fitness at Currie Brracks. Great gym, nice people.

syscal
11-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Soreshins
Can highly recommend WTM Fitness at Currie Brracks. Great gym, nice people.

Wife has been training there since it opened, she trained under Albert when he was in another gym before this too. She goes for the workout and doesn't care so much about the competitive kick boxing. Membership gets you access to everything I guess.