PDA

View Full Version : Registering/insuring car in Florida for a year... looking for help

Freebs
04-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Ok to start I am sorry if this is the wrong section. I looked for a more appropriate spot but couldn’t find any.

So my issue is I am moving to Florida in August for 1 year for school but Alberta insurance companies will not cover your car in the states over 160 days (or at least all the major companies I called wont) so my options are to get BC insurance as I know they will cover you up to 1year, or to just get insurance when I get there (west palm beach). Now for the ease of headaches if something were to happen, I am thinking local (Florida) insurance would be better vs. dealing with Canadian insurance.

Has anyone here done something like this when staying over the boarder for a year? If so is there any info you can give me?

Will I need to take another drivers test to get my Florida license?

If you have insured a car in the states, is it expensive compared to here? Right now I pay $170/month for full insurance/replacement insurance with $500 deductable for my 2008 Evo MR (I am 22... 23 this summer) with a 100% clean record...

Thanks everyone.

rage2
04-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I researched this a while ago trying to import a R32 GT-R for my brother in Chicago. If it's under a year, you can do a temporary non resident import.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/factmnb.htm#temporary

Once imported, you can register and insure it out of Florida. Call this number to get all your questions answered.

EPA Importing Vehicles, Motorcycles & Engines Imports Hotline 734-214-4100

Not sure about state laws, if you need a license in Florida. You're on your own trying to figure that out.

Freebs
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I researched this a while ago trying to import a R32 GT-R for my brother in Chicago. If it's under a year, you can do a temporary non resident import.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/imports/factmnb.htm#temporary

Once imported, you can register and insure it out of Florida. Call this number to get all your questions answered.

EPA Importing Vehicles, Motorcycles & Engines Imports Hotline 734-214-4100

Not sure about state laws, if you need a license in Florida. You're on your own trying to figure that out.

Thank you... I should be able to work with this and figure it out

CTSV
04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
I'd just make sure to keep it as Alberta registered. If you want to register it for US, you will probably require a US driver's license. To get that you need a social security number. To get a SSN you need a job, to get a job you need a SSN! My daughter is in US as a student, so she is using her Alberta driver's license, Alberta reg and Alberta insurance. I have not had any problems with insurance considering she is a student. My other daughter is working and she had to give up her Alberta license when she got her Texas drivers license. She also bought a new car and registered and insured it there.

Freebs
04-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by CTSV
I'd just make sure to keep it as Alberta registered. If you want to register it for US, you will probably require a US driver's license. To get that you need a social security number. To get a SSN you need a job, to get a job you need a SSN! My daughter is in US as a student, so she is using her Alberta driver's license, Alberta reg and Alberta insurance. I have not had any problems with insurance considering she is a student. My other daughter is working and she had to give up her Alberta license when she got her Texas drivers license. She also bought a new car and registered and insured it there.

Well Alberta insurance only covers you for 160 days at a time in the states so if your daughter is bringing the car back over the boarder before then, she is fine but if not you might want to make sure she is going to be covered as that would be a nightmare if something were to happen while she is there and isn't covered. My car will be in the states from August 12th, 2010 to around July 20th 2011. So I don't have the option of keeping my Alberta insurance while I am down there. And at 5,000kms one way, I can't bring it back and forth