PDA

View Full Version : speaker level input

Fred
12-06-2003, 11:51 AM
i have a 2003 alero so unfortunetly to put a deck in i have to relocate the deck to the trunk. if i use and amp with speaker level inputs and hook it up to the rear speakers will i screw anything up?

npham
12-06-2003, 06:57 PM
why do you have to have the HU in the trunk, there are adapters for those kinds of things.

justxploring
12-06-2003, 11:51 PM
the only reason you need to relocate your headunit is if your radio has RDS if it doesnt then the only thing you will lose is your door chime ,so if you leave your keys in the ignition the chime wont be there to warn you that you left them there ,and other type of warnings like leaving your lights on things like that so as long as you dont mind not having the chimes you can take out your headunit if you want .but if you dont want to you can hook up a line converter to your rear speakers and hook up RCA cables to that then to the amp or if the amp has a HI LINE input then you can do that but i like using a line converter with adjustable output so just incase the signal isnt sufficient i can adjust it higher ,hope i helped good luck ......

spike98
12-07-2003, 12:14 AM
What i would do is run the speaker level inputs into the low level input (RCA) of the amp. A factory HU will put out 2-10 V rms 20-30 V MAX.

If you are going to run a amp for your speakers and a amp for you subs take the front L/R speaker outs from you OEM HU and put some decent quality RCA ends on it and send it to you speaker amp. Then take the rear L/R speaker outs and do the same but put them to your sub amp.

If only adding a sub amp just use the rears. Then adjust the gains accordingly. This will save you time and money and will yeild the same results. I have done this to many installs, including my own. My new install has a 8V RMS line driver and my amps take it just fine.

Fred
12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
how much will a line converter cost me?

szw
12-07-2003, 08:54 PM
if you are in calgary i will sell you mine for 10 bucks.