PDA

View Full Version : car insurance question

shtock99
04-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Quick question, I couldn't find anything on google so hoping someone on here will know.

I have 50/50 at fault accident in Regina, the government paid for both parties costs and not a private insurance company. Now my question is when getting insurance in alberta do I have to tell them about this and if I do can they us it against me to up my insurance?

thanks, Cory

natejj
04-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I can't answer your question but I'll tell you my story.

I moved from BC, I had an at fault collision 2 years ago in BC. The other party claimed $2600 in damages, and went through my insurance. I then paid my insurance company back for the damages. Then I moved to Alberta, and switched to AB insurance. The AB insurance guy asked me if I had any accidents, I said one, but I paid for it out of pocket. Since it wasn't on my claims history, it didn't affect my rates.

So your best thing to do is call and ask. As long as you have a clean record on paper, aka no claims against you, I think you are fine.

shtock99
04-03-2010, 08:34 AM
That's the problem, I called 2 different insurance companies one said no it doesn't the other said yes it's an accident I have to put it on. So I'm just hoping someone on here works in the auto insurance industry. Thanks though that makes me feel like since it was the sask government that paid it and not a private insurance company that it shouldn't.

wintonyk
04-03-2010, 08:55 AM
I may be wrong, but don't insurance companies have access to your previous records.

When I switched from All State to TD, my rates were affected by a 500 claim from vandalism. I didn't tell TD, so it had to of shown up somewhere.

Zewind
04-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Im guessing the claim was recently.

If you have a SK DL, most companies will ask for a claims experience letter from your previous insurance, (this being SGI), and it will most likey show up.

shtock99
04-03-2010, 09:20 AM
claim was in 06' she has an alberta dl and has had one since 07, but I think we have figured it out but any help would be great

Speed_69
04-03-2010, 09:21 AM
I use to be an insurance broker. Like Zewind stated, they will request for your driver's Abstract and Claims experience letter from SGI and it will show up. If you are 50% or more at fault for the claims, they will affect your rates.

shtock99
04-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Ok so what ended up happening is that because she has had an alberta license for more then 3 years they did not require the driver abstract and claims experience from SGI so all is solved she has insurance