PDA

View Full Version : Supplements

Nusc
04-04-2010, 02:25 AM
Does anyone here take more than 2 supplements? If so what?

I was thinking of taking B12/ Folic Acid (B9) and Omega 3 regularly.

Speed_69
04-04-2010, 02:37 AM
I take a lot more then 2 supplements on a daily basis.

- Protein
- BCAA
- Multivitamin
- Omega-3
- B-100
- Biotin
- Zinc
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin C
- Glucosamine Sulfate

soon to be more...

will be including:
- MSM
- Saw Palmetto
- Silica

Nusc
04-04-2010, 02:38 AM
Do you work out as well and take protein powder?

Would that even be safe?

And is it recommended to take for instances Vitamin C in addition to a multivitamin which is already composed of Vitamin C?

Speed_69
04-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Nusc
Do you work out as well and take protein powder?

Would that even be safe?

And is it recommended to take for instances Vitamin C in addition to a multivitamin which is already composed of Vitamin C?
Yes I work out as well. I consume a whey protein shake after my work out and sometimes I consume a casein protein shake before I go to bed.

I'm not sure if it's recommended an additional Vitamin C pill be taken but i'm taking in about 1000mg of Vitamin C a day and it sure keeps me from getting sick.

GQBalla
04-04-2010, 02:44 AM
I take.....
- protein
- multivitamin
- omega 3s
- glutamine

liquidboi69
04-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Item (brand) - dosage:

Protein (ON) - 60 - 90g a day
Vitamins (ON) - 2 pills/day
Omega 3 (NOW) - 6 grams/day
Glucosamine/Chondroitin (Costco Brand) Joint Support - 1 pill/day

on occasion
Caffein (?) 200mg before workouts if I lack sleep
Vit C (NOW) 1g - 2g a day if I'm getting sick

Nusc
04-04-2010, 03:07 AM
When you first started out, how long before you started noticing effects?

liquidboi69
04-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Protein intake, either by supplements or diet effects recovery. Vitamins may or may not make u feel healthier and function better. It's all subjective and not concrete.

For best results, you'd want to eat healthy, and if you can't get proper intake of certain vitamins or fats/proteins, THEN you take supplements. Especially if you're a beginner, you'll probably find workout consistency and diet will "effect" you more than any supplements.

I will be surprised if you notice any effect from vitamin B or Omega 3's. People more or less take them because of evidence from studies say they have positive effects, and not cause we can feel their effects (specifically talking about Omega's and Vit B.)

That being said, I'm not saying they'll be a waste of your time. Just because you can't feel it, doesn't mean it can't help you.

Go ahead and take them on a regular basis (assuming you're taking correct dosages.) I would personally recommend three things to anyone regardless of where they're at: protein, vitamins, and omega 3s. Can't really fuck it up, and they're the standard supplements that everyone could benefit from.

adidas
04-04-2010, 09:15 AM
When you first started out, how long before you started noticing effects?

What exactly are you after? This is such a general question.

wintonyk
04-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I am on:
ma huang (ephedra) 350mg/day
multi (superstore)
omega 3 2000mg/day (nutrasea hp)
vit d 200 iu (sun drops)
water tight (by pvl)

Your multi likely only has 100 mg of Vit C. However if you eat lots of fruit and vegetables (kiwi, grapefruit, orange strawberries, cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, etc.) you are gonna get pretty much 1000 mg doing that. Don't have to worry bout toxicity because you just piss out anything extra.

Like liquidboy said. Most people don't notice any difference with supplements. Omega 3 is anti-inflammatory so you may notice less joint pain if you take the proper does (this is why I take it). And for god's sake don't take 3-6-9 or 6's alone. You make 9 yourself. And you get enough omega 6's in your diet to last a lifetime. Omega 6 are known as inflammatory poly fats.

I would recommend to throw Vit D onto the list Liquidboi put up. Just about everyone is Vit D deficient. Your multi doesn't have nearly enough, only enough to prevent rickets. The DRI hasn't been update in over 30 years. As a result they say 400 iu. When really 1000-2000 in the winter is a solid maintenance dose. You can make Vit D yourself in the sun (but not from about october to may here in Calgary)

As mentioned what are you goals. I am presently leaning out, getting body fat below 5 preparing for a shoot. Hence the ephedra and water tight. I don't take any additional protein because I eat 16 oz of meat per day in combination with other foods giving me well over 200 g protein.

Best advice I would say though, is go with diet, and the use the supplements the way their supposed to be used, to back up your diet rather than be the supplier. Its the whole "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" idea.

I got hassled last time I posted without references so here ya go for everything.

Vitamin D (http://dietary-supplements.info.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp)
Omega 3 (http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/omega-6-000317.htm)
Vit C (http://www.healthyeatingclub.org/info/books-phds/books/foodfacts/html/data/data4i.html)

ExtraSlow
04-04-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm not on any workout program, but I do take a daily multi, plus Vit D and a calcium/magnesium combo.

I did a little research, and it sounds like the vit D works well with the calcium and magnesium.
I don't eat much dairy, so don't get much calcium through dietary means.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm not on any workout program, but I do take a daily multi, plus Vit D and a calcium/magnesium combo.

I did a little research, and it sounds like the vit D works well with the calcium and magnesium.
I don't eat much dairy, so don't get much calcium through dietary means.

ditto, I take the D mainly on days where I don't get outside much, which is pretty much every work day.

Instead of calcium I take the omega3's because I definitely dont have the right diet to get my natural oils.

Nusc
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
What's the best Canadian brand for omega-3?

I'm using

http://www.holista.ca/products/item/?pid=224

I just don't want PCB's heavy metals and other toxins that are not filtered out in the US brands.

big A
04-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Are the Centrum multis good (just cause I have some in the house) or should I get something better.
I am about to start the p90x so I need all the supplements. I need protein mix and creatine. I have the stuff from costco, are they any good? How about a good power bar???

logix
04-04-2010, 03:11 PM
supplementscanada.com is having a 15% off sale on orders over $199 for anyone needing to order lots lol.
ends tomorrow, April 5 at midnight.

wintonyk
04-04-2010, 11:30 PM
What's the best Canadian brand for omega-3?

I'm using

http://www.holista.ca/products/item/?pid=224

I just don't want PCB's heavy metals and other toxins that are not filtered out in the US brands.

Nutrasea HP (http://www.supplementscanada.com/popeyes/product4250.html)

Only the best

Nusc
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
And when you stop taking the supplements, do you notice anything?

Nusc
04-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Ray Kurzweil takes 250 supplements... wtf

jjjheimer
04-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Do you guys typically buy supplements online or at a shop like GNC?

The_1
04-11-2010, 11:47 PM
buy it online
way cheaper
www.supplementscanada.com
www.bodybuilding.com

KRyn
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by The_1
buy it online
way cheaper
www.supplementscanada.com
www.bodybuilding.com

The first tuesday of every month Sampsons price matches all of the online websites or beats their prices. Go into one of the stores and get your name on the electronic flyer. Jason is a good guy and really knows his stuff. He doesn't push the most expensive products (he works at the Mcleod location).