PDA

View Full Version : Quick Lawn Question

ddmmak
04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
We installed new sod last year. Now its spring and was wondering what needs to be done to get the lawn nice and green again... thanks...

ExtraSlow
04-04-2010, 03:00 PM
A few nice deep waterings, and no short/shallow watering.

If your soil is decent, you don't need much in the way of fertilizer.

ddmmak
04-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Would it be advisable to rake the dead grass away first, then start watering it? Also, would u suggest fertilizer?

Thanks

chathamf
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
If you rake away the dead grass the new stuff will have an easier time growing in.

I would say hold up on watering the hell out of it right away until it's warm on a regular basis and not freezing at night. Give it another few weeks.

You don't really need to fertilize. I'd say just leave it be until sometime in May, and if you want to give it a boost you could give it a start-up fertilize to boost the growth and make it super green. Also during the summer when the heat waves are going strong, the more water the better. I watered the hell out of my lawn a couple summers ago just for the fun of it and it was growing like mad. haha.

ExtraSlow
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Also during the summer when the heat waves are going strong, the more water the better. I watered the hell out of my lawn a couple summers ago just for the fun of it and it was growing like mad. haha.
Get yourself a timer and water for several hours, early in the morning once a week. That promotes deep root growth and is plenty even during the hottest weather,

Kloubek
04-09-2010, 12:41 PM
How long does it take for grass seed to create a reasonable lawn? We are trying to decide between seeding and sod...

Sasuke_Kensai
04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking of seeding the backyard - I've read up to a month for some bags to start germinating (or maybe that was full growth). Some bags have 'starter seed' (annual ryegrass?) mixed in so they should sprout after a week or so.

chathamf
04-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
How long does it take for grass seed to create a reasonable lawn? We are trying to decide between seeding and sod...

I prefer sod, mostly just because it sucks to wait for the seed to come in, and I find it really doesn't come in thick and full like you want in the first season.

With sod, you are going to have a nice lush lawn in no time. Seed is obviously much cheaper, but you could save some cash by laying the sod yourself is it is quite easy.