PDA

View Full Version : jdm conversion?-->rice?

l/l/rX
12-06-2003, 05:33 PM
well lets get one thing down im not here to cuss out jdm conversions. just an interesting topic.

i was reading my super street magazine, "The Wong Way"

j-wo brought up an interesting topic that caught my eye in his monthly column.

"Everyone has an opinion on what means to be ricey. You could be sporting an unpainted Brand X body kit from a 1996, a quadruple-colored vinyl interior, and a knockoff set of wheels that look like the real thing- thats one way to look at it."

"For example, let's pick a popular US automotive make that's also available in Japan. It could be a Civic, a 240sx, or a Corolla. Now what are their names back in the motherland? Ferio, Silvia, and Levin (or Trueno). Four years ago, you probably would have referred to your ride as a 240 coupe, but now it only seems right if you call it a Silvia. But is that right? Do you really own a Silvia? No, you own a 240sx. So why are we calling them by their Japanese counterparts? Just because it's cool to be JDM? And no matter how much work you do to turn it into a Silvia, it still won't be a Silvia because it's still a US 240. So are we being ricey when we call our US cars by their Japanese names? Maybe just a little."

there you go that's the topic. my point on being ricey is different from his. but lets start the debate.

if you want to read more about this (i skipped out a few paragraphs) this is in the December issue of Super Street (the AE86 dirft car on the front) pg 31.

edit: er lets hear your opinions

5.9 R/T
12-06-2003, 05:40 PM
I think this thread is ricey. :whocares:

EK 2.0
12-06-2003, 05:44 PM
My opinion on "RICE"...And I dont wanna get flamed by some kids who disagree...this is just my Two Cents...

Rice - Any part or accessory that does not enhance performance...whether that be, acceleration, braking, turning, downforce, HP and/or TQ...These include neon underglow, stickers (unless you have a tasteful sticker of a part that is ON your ride...(oh and beyond.ca and car club stickers are exempt from the above)...HUGE Airliner wings in FWD street cars, Disc Brake simulators...BOV simulators...Race harnesses in vehicles with no roll bars and/or cages...

Yes, these items are ALWAYS up to the indivdual, I mean to each their own right??...I might have items on my Talon no one else likes...That's Human Nature...But slapping a sticker and some underglow on your ride, DOES NOT mean you are driving a "tuned" machine...

Again, PLEASE don't flame me...I just stated my opinion...

Arif

2000impreza
12-06-2003, 06:06 PM
everyone has their definition of what "rice" is. bottom line don't put what you think is rice on your car..

Daddymax
12-06-2003, 06:08 PM
I heaer that JDM is going to be teh next rice anyways.. I kind abeleive it. once epopel get bored of something then it becomes frowned upon.

jdmmavericktR
12-06-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
My opinion on "RICE"...And I dont wanna get flamed by some kids who disagree...this is just my Two Cents...

Rice - Any part or accessory that does not enhance performance...whether that be, acceleration, braking, turning, downforce, HP and/or TQ...These include neon underglow, stickers (unless you have a tasteful sticker of a part that is ON your ride...(oh and beyond.ca and car club stickers are exempt from the above)...HUGE Airliner wings in FWD street cars, Disc Brake simulators...BOV simulators...Race harnesses in vehicles with no roll bars and/or cages...

Yes, these items are ALWAYS up to the indivdual, I mean to each their own right??...I might have items on my Talon no one else likes...That's Human Nature...But slapping a sticker and some underglow on your ride, DOES NOT mean you are driving a "tuned" machine...

Again, PLEASE don't flame me...I just stated my opinion...

Arif

dude, you're totally right. I think the whole anti-rice thing stems from people thinking they drive tuned cars because of ANY mods they might have done. You hit it right on the mark.

frostyda9
12-06-2003, 06:52 PM
I am so sick of the "rice" debate :banghead:
Some JDM mods are ricey, while others are not.
I wouldn't give up my JDM headlights, but I'd never spend money on a "JDM fuel filler door sticker". To each his own...can we just leave it at that?

Speed_Dreams
12-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
I am so sick of the "rice" debate :banghead:
Some JDM mods are ricey, while others are not.
I wouldn't give up my JDM headlights, but I'd never spend money on a "JDM fuel filler door sticker". To each his own...can we just leave it at that?
:werd: some JDM parts are just for looks but they also performe better in the sence of JDM lights I want to get them becuase they are lighter then my stock ones (stock = glass JDM= Plastic) plus they are brighter so it is safter to drive at night. Other things are just to personalize my car. I want to get JDM powere folding mirrors. not becuase they look any different. But becuase In my opinion i like them i think its a good idea and im sick of people fucking with my mirror in parking lots.

anyways just my 2 cents

Drew

GTS Jeff
12-06-2003, 10:30 PM
i am the definition of rice. there, i said it. end of discussion.

omg. we need a "what is rice" thread stickied.

szw
12-06-2003, 11:25 PM
:whocares: :repost: :closed: :repost: :repost: :repost:

04blackMAX
12-06-2003, 11:28 PM
i think hes got a point!!!

legereandrew4
12-06-2003, 11:56 PM
man i dont think its rice, 240 for example. if you DO a sr swap, then yea call it a sylvia it has its engone, and engine is what counts...

gpomp
12-07-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by legereandrew4
man i dont think its rice, 240 for example. if you DO a sr swap, then yea call it a sylvia it has its engone, and engine is what counts...
So if I put an Integra engine into my Civic I can call it an Integra?

04blackMAX
12-07-2003, 12:11 AM
or if you put a type R engine in a lil civic cx..u can put TYPE R stikers on??

Speed_Dreams
12-07-2003, 03:17 AM
what about if i put "Honda Integra" on my integra instead of Acura? I mean its built in japan. and the Motor Says Honda motor company

Mike09
12-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by legereandrew4
No Buddy, Than you have a 240sx w/ sr20det, If you wanna call it a Silvia than Import 1. You can however call it an S13 as that is the model Id in North America and Japan.

Idratherbsidewayz
12-07-2003, 01:59 PM
But how would you mention that your car has an sr20det in casual conversation. Calling it a silvia is just an easy way to let people know what you have. And putting a silvia engine in the U.S version of a silvia is not the same as putting a B18 in a civic. The integra and civic have completely different bodies/charactaristics. A 180sx and a 240sx w/ sr20det are very similar cars, differing only in the side that things are put in the engine bay, and that the japanese version is RHD.

illeagle
12-07-2003, 02:10 PM
I think kids should keep ricing up their cars, Doesen't hurt anyone, It's also good entertainment

Ben
12-07-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
I think kids should keep ricing up their cars, Doesen't hurt anyone, It's also good entertainment

Exactly, makes them feel even worse when they get walked on by a "sleeper" after they just spent 3k in tacky "no-go" accessories

Mike09
12-07-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Firefly/wRims
But how would you mention that your car has an sr20det in casual conversation. Calling it a silvia is just an easy way to let people know what you have.
By saying: hey I got a Sr20det!.

Originally posted by Firefly/wRims
And putting a silvia engine in the U.S version of a silvia is not the same as putting a B18 in a civic. The integra and civic have completely different bodies/charactaristics. A 180sx and a 240sx w/ sr20det are very similar cars, differing only in the side that things are put in the engine bay, and that the japanese version is RHD. Ya but You still don't have a 180sx or a Silvia you have a 240sx.

T5Bird
12-07-2003, 06:19 PM
I've kinda been wondering lately if anyone in Japan does USDM conversions, I mean the same kinda thing lights mirrors etc, just for a diferent look??

Paul
12-07-2003, 07:05 PM
i think it's kinda funny what a lot of you call JDM and what a lot of you call "rice" when in actuallity they should kinda be reversed. If you have seen some of the rides from japan they are all about the "stickers" and led stem-valves on their tires. The litter their cars with Hello Kitty dolls and paint the funny colours. Now not all of them do this but a lot do, so to be rice is a bad thing? I don't think so, it's one way of doing up your ride, it's definition might be a little scrambled and there are always exceptions to these rules.

http://www.locaimportstore.com/index.html

This is a link to a company in Japan. They actually sell a USDM conversion for the Integra. I wonder what they call this???

"Dude, your car is so Burger." says one street car enthusiast to another.

GTS Jeff
12-07-2003, 08:06 PM
why are u guys arguing over whether a 240 w/sr20 can be called a silvia? who the fuck cares? call it whatever u want, cuz ppl get the idea anyway.

whether i tell ppl i drive a corolla, a trueno, an ae86, a hachiroku, a sprinter, whatever - its all the same shit and people still know what i mean. so who the f cares about 240 silvia blah blah.

Mike09
12-07-2003, 08:49 PM
Ouch, fair enough tho!!

jayq
12-07-2003, 09:13 PM
we all care what is jdm, rice....why?

do what you want, its your car not anyone elses.

ShOwOfF
12-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Paul

"Dude, your car is so Burger." says one street car enthusiast to another.

:rofl: i think it should be potato though.

Skyline_Addict
12-08-2003, 09:29 PM
to those of you who say "to each his own" are totally right.
if you don't like what another dude does to his car...WHO CARES!? he's putting his money, his time, his effort into his car.
this does not take anything away from you.
i'm not saying that "rice" isn't annoying sometimes, but just forget about it.
in your eyes your car is not rice.
and his eyes, it probably isn't either.
and nobody gets hurt.

Voodoo Child
12-09-2003, 08:51 AM
I don't remember anybody ever telling me that my car is ugly because of my new front end.....

Illusionsir
12-09-2003, 09:27 AM
why is rice even considered a bad thing?
can someone please tell me??

every single show car is rice. yet everyone still pays 17 dollars to go look at it... :rolleyes:

ApexDrift
12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
LED washer jet lights.....M3 mirror lights....
that shit is so heat bag! i can handle the mirror lights but the washer jets that everyone has is just horrable...:barf: when i see that suff on on trucks and beaters i just burst out laughing!:guns: :barf: :guns:

B17a
12-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
I don't remember anybody ever telling me that my car is ugly because of my new front end.....

Ooops, must have slipped my mind, your car's ugly!:D

j/k looks mucho nice!:thumbsup:

frostyda9
12-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Speed_Dreams
what about if i put "Honda Integra" on my integra instead of Acura? I mean its built in japan. and the Motor Says Honda motor company

I think that's ok....it's just sort of a "why bother" mod.
You could rebadge your RSX JDM style if you wanted too....

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/static/images/articles/i300/30038_5mg.jpg

jdmmavericktR
12-10-2003, 12:21 AM
ok ok I just got bacak from happy hour so that's gonna explainm it.

I have a confession to make...

yes....I have racing harnesses...sparco...they're black.....

I got them because I needed new belts anyways after my accident and I've always wanted to strap my car on so to speak haha....so I got them, installed them myself, exacly like their supposed to be...I don't have a roll bar so I'm going to die....so I obviously didn't buy tem for their utility...I honestly love how they feel, they're comfortable to me...plus I'm a big dork, but chicks dig them, like somebody had said on this board earlier, the friction against crucial areas has a bit to do with it haha....but I digress...yes I'm happy with my harnesses, no I don't have any LEDs anywhere except my head unit, I have a fully custotm 3" flowmaster exhaust from my V8, a ghetto custom cold air intake, new stiffer suspension parts, new wheels, new tires, rebuilt engine, new front ventilated disc brakes (even though you can't see them) a LSD differential, and a rebuilt C4 tranny...and I have ricy racing harnesses even though I don't race street or track. HAHA go me.