PDA

View Full Version : Dealership sold me a car that was in an accident

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Ill start off by giving you guys the background story on my whole situation. So in december 2008 i bought a used car (For the time being i wont name the dealer or the type of car i bought) i test drove the car everything looked good and it ran good, so i went ahead a bought i car. I did get a bit of a deal on the car just because my dad knew one of the salesmen.

So anyways i have no problems with the car today i take the car to get tinted and i find out from the guy that tinted my car (which I am extremely grateful to him for bringing it to my attention) that my car indeed has been in an accident before, so i asked him how he came to this conclusion he goes on and lists a bunch of things that i had totally missed, i wont list all the details.

So anyways im super pissed because i asked the guy i bought the car off if its been in an accident and he says " No, no its good " and i no its my mistake for not asking for paper work, but i mean the guys a friend of my dads so i trusted him. i called up the dealership looking for him and lucky for me he was in. I drove over to the place and waited to speak to him once he came out he right off the bat passed me over to someone else because he was in the middle of a sale, and Im sitting there thinking wow my family has bought 4 cars off these guys and this how Im going to get treated? even though i was upset i didn't say anything i start speaking to the other gentlemen and he starts saying things like " Well what do you want from me, its been a year and some" and im like listen i understand but i mean i was never told about this.

so he pulls the history and it says the car has about 4,500$ worth of damages and than says " Well i mean thats not to much" and Im acting totally cool and calm and trying to explain to him i would have never bought the car if i knew this, he than offers me warranty on the car for 2 years and Im like my car has 43,000k on it i don't need your warranty, than he offers to pay for my tint, and at this point i have been sitting there for about 45mins and nothing is going my way, he keeps saying he will trade my car in but im going to lose money, so after awhile longer he said he would book me in to get the car looked at and go from there so i said ok its a start. Oh and the year on my car is 2004 and the dealership is pretty big place and known by tons of people

basically what i was wondering is what do you guys think they should do for me, after all we do have 4 cars all bought from them? what should i be asking for and settle for because they never told me the car has been in an accident?

I mean this thing has really been stressing me out so if you guys have any info or have gone through something like this please help me out THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS

TeamBestBud
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Never trust anyone. I know you said it was your mistake and I know people are going to come in this thread and beat that point to death but I think your SOL on this one bud.

broken_legs
04-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I would give them a chance to settle this to some reasonable point.

At the very least an apology to you for lying and wasting your time is in order.

If not, I say you follow this route:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2796/1681/31988340030_large.jpg

Weapon_R
04-05-2010, 08:44 PM
It's a good time to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. If you properly researched your purchase, you would have found out the same info that he so easily pulled up.

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
It's a good time to grow up and take responsibility for your actions. If you properly researched your purchase, you would have found out the same info that he so easily pulled up.

But, like i said he was a friend of dads and we've bought a fair share of cars from them, and we even asked him if it had been in an accident and he said no, is it not their job to disclose that information to us at some point before we bought the car?

Weapon_R
04-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by sk65guy

But, like i said he was a friend of dads and we've bought a fair share of cars from them, and we even asked him if it had been in an accident and he said no, is it not their job to disclose that information to us at some point before we bought the car?

Absolutely. But what now? Do you think that they are going to admit that to anyone a year after the fact?

2Valve0
04-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Doesn't the owner have to inform you of accidents if known? If a car has been in an accident or rebuilt isn't it by law he must inform you? Thats what I always thought.

If they don't solve this reasonably post everything on beyond I'm sure they will get the picture. You should tell the salesman you will post his name and everything on beyond as well, as most cars salesman I'm guessing atleast know about this site and what we as a community do. He will be scared shitless you will put a bad name on him he will do something for you.

This is why I don't go to stealerships

2Valve0
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Really? A friend of his Dad's and t a dealership you would think if you ask a straight forward question like has it been in an accident and he gets the answer "no never", it would be alright. If my family had a friend at a dealership I would trust him, but then again OP your dad has a shady ass fucking friend. If it was me I would have still checked but I can totally see why you didn't.

Wrinkly
04-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I believe the onus would be on you to prove that they knew about said accident AT THE TIME you purchased it. They may genuinely not have known. They're in the business of selling cars and just want to move them out. They can't possibly know the history of every one intimately, and not all accidents/damage go through insurance anyway.

So many dealers will show you a carfax that is clean - I even had one show me a 'clean' Carproof, but when I went home and ran the most expensive version, a whole lot more was revealed.

Due diligence is what it boils down to. I think they're being more than reasonable in offering you anything. If you think about it, you've had the car long enough for that accident/damage to have happened during your possession and you could be trying to rip them off.

G-ZUS
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by 2Valve0
Doesn't the owner have to inform you of accidents if known? If a car has been in an accident or rebuilt isn't it by law he must inform you? Thats what I always thought.

If they don't solve this reasonably post everything on beyond I'm sure they will get the picture. You should tell the salesman you will post his name and everything on beyond as well, as most cars salesman I'm guessing atleast know about this site and what we as a community do. He will be scared shitless you will put a bad name on him he will do something for you.

This is why I don't go to stealerships

Only if it has a rebuilt status they have to tell you. If it was in a accidnet and never written off they dont have to tell you

Wrinkly
04-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by 2Valve0

I believe you're right on this. When I investigated the law recently while selling a vehicle I learned that it's "as is" automatically - BUT if you ask specific questions, the seller is bound BY LAW to answer honestly.

I guess the difficult part would be proving you asked and the answer you were given.

Future reference: Get it in writing on the bill of the sale - it's not difficult. ;)

Aleks
He maybe didn't know or never pulled up the info. They really don't have to do anything for you. The fact he's offering free tint or warranty is probably because he knows you bought 4 cars from him. Otherwise they'd do nothing for you.

If you drove the car for a year and were happy with it what's the issue now? $4500 sound like very minor damage on a 2004 car (likely happened when it was only a few years old). I'd say keep enjoying the car and in the future make sure you check the facts for yourself, even if buying from a friend.

kaput

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
I believe the onus would be on you to prove that they knew about said accident AT THE TIME you purchased it. They may genuinely not have known. They're in the business of selling cars and just want to move them out. They can't possibly know the history of every one intimately, and not all accidents/damage go through insurance anyway.

So many dealers will show you a carfax that is clean - I even had one show me a 'clean' Carproof, but when I went home and ran the most expensive version, a whole lot more was revealed.

Due diligence is what it boils down to. I think they're being more than reasonable in offering you anything. If you think about it, you've had the car long enough for that accident/damage to have happened during your possession and you could be trying to rip them off.

I do understand this but when they pulled the car fax it shows that the back end of my car has been hit, and i explained to them that i wouldn't be back there after a year to waste their time and mine. Im sure no one wants to buy a car thats been in an accident at least not me.

G-ZUS
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
$4500 is not all that much damage on a car

se7en
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
My thoughts exactly... I would accept the tint and warranty and the "sorry man" ...

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
He maybe didn't know or never pulled up the info. They really don't have to do anything for you. The fact he's offering free tint or warranty is probably because he knows you bought 4 cars from him. Otherwise they'd do nothing for you.

If you drove the car for a year and were happy with it what's the issue now? $4500 sound like very minor damage on a 2004 car (likely happened when it was only a few years old). I'd say keep enjoying the car and in the future make sure you check the facts for yourself, even if buying from a friend.

but my point is that they lied to me to get me to buy a car off them, i would have never bought a car thats been in an accident before, because if i look to sell it down the line its hard to sell, and i should have mentioned that the repair job they did was so shitty and its all on the passenger side, and well i never sit there and didn't notice till it was pointed out to me. The door doesn't close all the way there is a gap, the paint on the side doesn't fully match up and when you sit in the passenger seat there's wind that blows into the car, and the only reason i never noticed this is simply because i drive the car and never had the need to sit in the passenger side.

NYTRYDR
04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
lol ^^

G-ZUS
04-05-2010, 09:20 PM

the repair job they did was so shitty and its all on the passenger side, and well i never sit there and didn't notice till it was pointed out to me. The door doesn't close all the way there is a gap, the paint on the side doesn't fully match up

How was this not noticed?

JordanAndrew
04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Are you looking to get money back from this dealership? :dunno: I doubt they'll do that for you since it's been a year. You can go through small claims court and see if you got a chance but it's a lot easier to just settle this between you and the dealership. Legally they are obligated to disclose all the information about the car as long as you ask the right questions, which you did by asking if it was ever in an accident. Once you asked that question, it is up to the seller to disclose all the information that they know about the car. If the seller can prove that they weren't aware of the previous accident then it changes the liability a little bit on them.

I suggest just taking their offer for the warranty and maybe the free tint as well. Just make sure the warranty covers the repaired damage on your car.

Like what others mentioned, do your own research and learn from this mistake.

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

How was this not noticed?

just because the rubber lining around that door was covering it and when you fit it up you can noticed that difference between the driver and passenger side, you can come take a look at the car and you wouldn't be able to notice those things. As for the wind blowing into the car i never noticed only because i don't sit there

revelations
04-05-2010, 09:24 PM

Thats about the amount for someone to rub into a concrete pillar in an UG parking lot damage in a newer car.

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Are you looking to get money back from this dealership? :dunno: I doubt they'll do that for you since it's been a year. You can go through small claims court and see if you got a chance but it's a lot easier to just settle this between you and the dealership. Legally they are obligated to disclose all the information about the car as long as you ask the right questions, which you did by asking if it was ever in an accident. Once you asked that question, it is up to the seller to disclose all the information that they know about the car. If the seller can prove that they weren't aware of the previous accident then it changes the liability a little bit on them.

I suggest just taking their offer for the warranty and maybe the free tint as well. Just make sure the warranty covers the repaired damage on your car.

Like what others mentioned, do your own research and learn from this mistake.

Im not looking for the dealership to give my money back because it doesn't make sense how ever i would like them to correct the problems with the car that were a result of the accident they didn't tell me about

bjstare
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
This is all stuff you should have checked into for yourself. If the panel gaps/paint mismatch is obvious, you would have seen it. Consider yourself lucky you get a warranty and a free tint; most dealerships would tell you to suck it.

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Thats about the amount for someone to rub into a concrete pillar in an UG parking lot damage in a newer car.

yes thats totally understandable but my point is that the problems the accident caused have not been fixed properly, and i am looking for them to fix it.

aqure591
04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
take it as a learning experience and move on. Dealership is being very generous to even offer warranty after a year of the car being sold.

black300
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
I doubt there going to fix it.

benz_890
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
You can try calling AMVIC, but they will probably tell you to suck it as well

sk65guy
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
well i mean once they contact me again, i will just ask them to fix the problem and hopefully they will comply, but it seems from everything that even though the dealership didn't disclose that information to me im SOL and should just move on. Kind of sucks being played like that, but ill push for them to fix it, if not take the warranty and walk

JordanAndrew
04-05-2010, 09:53 PM
well i mean once they contact me again, i will just ask them to fix the problem and hopefully they will comply, but it seems from everything that even though the dealership didn't disclose that information to me im SOL and should just move on. Kind of sucks being played like that, but ill push for them to fix it, if not take the warranty and walk

Technically you're not SOL as long as you can prove that the dealership knew about the accident and failed to disclose the information with you when you were buying the car. When you asked them if the car was ever in an accident, it is their liability to give you all the imformation that they know about the car. But if the dealership never knew that the car was ever in an accident, they might be off the hook.

If you decide to go through with it legally, it will take quite some time and it's a pain in the ass to go through as well.

You're almost better off settling this between you and the dealership and take the warranty. Like what I said, just make sure they cover the repair job that happened on the car.

crapstixs
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
honistly, the dealer offered a awsome deal, take the tint. its buyer bewear and its been a year im suprised they didnt tell you to go pound sand. it is 100% your falt, when you are buying a car how do you not notice a door dose not shut and paint dosent match? everyone has got there pantys in a bunch over accendents, so what? even if its writen off it has to pass a salvage inspection. do you know how indepth that inspection is. most rebuilt cars are in better shape than half of the active vehicals on the road. take your free tint and learn from YOUR mistake.

J.M.
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
lol ^

JordanAndrew
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
honistly, the dealer offered a awsome deal, take the tint. its buyer bewear and its been a year im suprised they didnt tell you to go pound sand. it is 100% your falt, when you are buying a car how do you not notice a door dose not shut and paint dosent match? everyone has got there pantys in a bunch over accendents, so what? even if its writen off it has to pass a salvage inspection. do you know how indepth that inspection is. most rebuilt cars are in better shape than half of the active vehicals on the road. take your free tint and learn from YOUR mistake.

HONISTLY you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. You can't even spell. :facepalm:

As long as the buyer asked if it was ever in an accident, the dealership is on the hook to provide all the accident history to the buyer, or at least all of what they dealership knows about the car.

crapstixs
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
oh shit i cant spell oh no.

look the dealer is not going to do shit. get over it.
do you know how many cars have been in accidents that the owner has no idea of it. alot.

Kavy
04-05-2010, 11:11 PM

QFT.

I pulled too far into my garage and scraped my hood and headlights on a plastic shelf and caused 5k damage without there even being a dent.

Bottom line is if you have it in writing your set if not you have no ground to stand on.

JordanAndrew
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
oh shit i cant spell oh no.

look the dealer is not going to do shit. get over it.
do you know how many cars have been in accidents that the owner has no idea of it. alot.

Just because a lot of cars that have been in car accidents get sold doesn't mean the dealership isn't on the hook if they don't disclose the accident history on a car ESPECIALLY when the buyer asked them if it was ever in an accident. Believe it or not, there are laws protecting buyers against sellers not disclosing all the imformation that they know about their cars.

Kavy has it right, as long as the OP has all the evidence then he is set.

crapstixs
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
you have to inform about frame damage and salvage. its $4500 not much. yes the dealer didnt tell him and should have. but when a door dosent shut and paint dosent match he should have picked up on that befor he bought the car. it dosent take a carprof to notice the right door whistles and is a different color. it dosent matter if it was bought from a dealer, second hand lot, or private. its the buyers responsibity to know what he is buying.

btimbit
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I think they're being quite reasonable. Sure they should have told you about it earlier, but the guy does have a point when he said that it's been a year and a half since then. Take the warranty and the free tint, that's much better than you'd get at most other places.

omfgcurtis
04-06-2010, 01:49 AM

yes thats totally understandable but my point is that the problems the accident caused have not been fixed properly, and i am looking for them to fix it.

You want them to "warranty" a repair that was done on your vehicle that they probably didnt do? because they probably were'nt aware that it was in a accident? Consider yourself lucky to even get offered tint and 2 year warranty:facepalm:

RMS
04-06-2010, 02:09 AM
why not use the warranty? go back there a few months later and go like the door doesn't close properly :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

sk65guy
04-06-2010, 04:03 AM
you have to inform about frame damage and salvage. its $4500 not much. yes the dealer didnt tell him and should have. but when a door dosent shut and paint dosent match he should have picked up on that befor he bought the car. it dosent take a carprof to notice the right door whistles and is a different color. it dosent matter if it was bought from a dealer, second hand lot, or private. its the buyers responsibity to know what he is buying.

the door doesn't whistle i never said it did, i said when your sitting in the passenger seat you can feel wind thats coming from the door. as for the paint mismatch i welcome you to come look at my car and if you can spot it i will buy you a 6pack of beers its super hard to notice and considering in the time i had the car which was 1year 4 months it was barely driven 20k mostly parked so it was an easy miss, but like i was saying i only want them to take care of the door problem and im happy with that.

Zhariak
04-06-2010, 06:25 AM
6MW538g5j0c

zieg
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
^ :rofl:

G-ZUS
04-06-2010, 07:12 AM

as for the paint mismatch i welcome you to come look at my car and if you can spot it i will buy you a 6pack of beers

i will take you up on that

gretz
04-06-2010, 07:16 AM

i will take you up on that

+1 over here...

omfgcurtis
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM

as for the paint mismatch i welcome you to come look at my car and if you can spot it i will buy you a 6pack of beers.

throw up some pics

Zero102
04-06-2010, 08:51 AM
For the OP, you are in a tough spot. It sucks that so many people on here just want to call you an idiot so that they can feel superior. I understand how you found yourself in this situation and this is a good chance to learn a valuable life lesson. As for how to make this end in the best way possible I'll say this, take the warranty and the tint (if they will do both). That is a hell of a deal. Without knowing exactly what model car you have and when exactly you would be looking to sell it down the road it is hard to say exactly what you would lose, but tint is usually a couple hundred bucks, and if the warranty saves you a couple hundred bucks as well you may come out ahead.

As for the issues you are experiencing now, it may be as simple as the door needs the latch adjusted and maybe it can be corrected without any serious work. IMO see if the dealership will correct this issue as well, but if they don't take it to a respectable body shop to see what they can recommend. If you haven't noticed the issue for over 1 year it can't really be that big of a deal (unless it is letting water in the car when it rains) so even if it is too expensive to be worth repairing it doesn't sound like it is the end of the world.

Mar
04-06-2010, 09:34 AM
You waited too long, a year later I'm surprised they offered to give you anything. I would have told you to get out of my store.
But seriously, with all the things wrong with it, how did you not notice? First thing you do when buying a car is run your fingers down all the lines and make sure the gaps are even and everything lines up. Everything closes properly and the original paint code stickers are still in place. Never trust anyone,
I've given my friends money before, like $400 in twenties and they won't count it because they say they trust me. I stand there and make them count it in front of me because I don't want it to be a potential issue later. Sure we trust each other but these things still have to be looked at whether there's trust or not.

BrianLaarvs
04-06-2010, 11:58 AM
dealerships bring in alot of used cars from all over canada, especially the easterly parts and recondition them. i'm sure they wouldn't spend $4500 reconditioning a vehicle because there goes their profit. your car was most likely a trade in and you got f'd.

so uhh what i'm saying is buyer beware when it comes to used vehicle lots. :thumbsup:

brownboi
04-09-2010, 02:12 PM
:werd: talk to them properly and im sure you will get something in return, atleast their giving you warrenty but they bullshitted to you about the car so they should validate the repairs for you and get it fixed up, year and a half later or not thas wrong on the dealerships part.

just my $0.02 :dunno:

Tomaz
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
OP

You are dumb! Take the tint and and warranty, then run like hell! At least they offered you something. So many cars get in little benders, be damned to find the perfect used car. get used to it.

911fever
04-10-2010, 09:58 AM
$4500 isn't much at all for damage. And if it was a bad repair, that's the OP's fault in not noticing it, or doing a Carproof on it. And worse, most cars on the road have accidents on them, and if the dealer (via the salesperson) legitimately didn't know if it had an accident, then they aren't in the wrong either. You have to do your research beforehand, that's just how buying a car goes. The dealer is being ridiculously fair by even offering a warranty and tint. I want to know their name so I can recommend them haha

Rat Fink
04-10-2010, 10:21 AM
4500 dollars isn't much at all on a new car. I've replaced cooling fans that are over 1000 bucks. I replaced the leather that covers the bottom cushion of the drivers seat of a Lincoln Navigator the other day....1200 bucks just for the leather cover. Oh, and the seat track for that Navigator if you ever had to replace it....1100 bucks. It'll shock you what little parts 4500 dollars can buy you on a new car. Someone backing into a pole at crawling speeds of less than 5km/hr could easily do that much damage to a new car.

speedog
04-10-2010, 10:32 AM
First and most important fact - OP had the car for about 16 months before figuring out something was amiss with the used car he bought.

16 months!

The dealership, in this instance, must be applauded for what they've offered especially after 16 months and especially so as how do they have any proof that the car wasn't damaged and then subsequently poorly repaired during the 16 months after it left their hands. Now, I'm not saying the OP had damaged this car, but you have to look at this situation from the perspective of the dealership after these 16 months.

Sometimes, a used car that's for sale can gloss over the eyes of a prospective buyer - case in point, my eldest was quite smitten with a 280ZX that was being privately sold two blocks away until I went for a walk with him and started pointing out the numerous things wrong with the car. He then saw that this 280ZX was something not to be touched ever.

In the end, OP take the dealership's offer - after 16 months they are being way too generous IMHO. And note this all up in the grey matter as a lessen well learned.

wintonyk
04-10-2010, 01:51 PM
When I was looking for my first car, I came across a very clean looking camaro. They were asking about 6k for it. When I asked the dealer if the car had ever been in an accident he said most certainly not. Upon opening the hood there were 4 different shades of red on in inside firewall and fenders. When I asked the salesman about this he immediately dropped the price by 2k. Needless to say I walked.

Don't trust someones word when they are selling a car. One car I bought had the check engine light come on during the test drive. The owner just said unplug the battery and it goes away.

canuckcarguy
04-10-2010, 02:26 PM
If you have a cosmetic issue with your car that takes you a year and a half to notice, there are only 3 options:

1. You've never, ever, ever washed your car. Ever.
2. You're legally blind and shouldn't be driving.
3. The damage was well-repaired and not a big deal.

For God' sake, this happened in 2008!!! They're offering you free tint and extra warranty? Take it and move on.

crapstixs
04-10-2010, 04:52 PM

the door doesn't whistle i never said it did, i said when your sitting in the passenger seat you can feel wind thats coming from the door. as for the paint mismatch i welcome you to come look at my car and if you can spot it i will buy you a 6pack of beers its super hard to notice and considering in the time i had the car which was 1year 4 months it was barely driven 20k mostly parked so it was an easy miss, but like i was saying i only want them to take care of the door problem and im happy with that.

so whats the big deal then? why make a thread about this. if you cant notice the paint then its not a problem. and with the door holy shit pay a hour of labor and get adjusted. this is not a new car. from your first post you made it sound like your car was totaly fucked. and now all that it needs is a door adjustment. what do you expect from the dealer a bj? they already offered you somthing you dont deserve. get over it.

chassis
04-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Look, If you believe that the dealership knew about the accident and isn't willing to rectify the problem, then you need to post the dealerships information and the person who sold you the car. What dealership doesn't run a car fax on all the cars they have???? How does a dealership not know this information??? Are they reputable???

Honestly if they didn't know about the accident, then that's fine, but it probably shows that they did not research the history of the car very thoroughly and they should of been honest about that and told you the truth.

The reason i think you should post who did this to you is to protect people on this forum, especially if you feel you've been wronged. I personally wouldn't buy a car from these guys. Again if they are reputable they should know the history of the vehicles they sell. In this case it sounds like they're either sketchy or negligent either way they're not the type of people i would like to buy a car from.

Just my two cents, and good luck with your situation.

moka989
04-11-2010, 04:21 AM
when i bought a car awhile back, i ended up being lied to about a certain component of the sale, on a $9,225 dollar sale i received $2000 flat back. pretty rockin for a small issue. I would bring it up to the managers!

KRZY403
04-11-2010, 05:23 AM
This thread brings me back memories of when I bought my car from Subaru Calgary. Terry Bharti was the salesman that sold me the car that had been in in accident. If I had known about it, I would have never purchased the car. This was my first time purchasing a car so I was a total newb. I never knew carproof or carfax even existed so I trusted him.

It was about a year and a half ago when I found out. I brought my car to DNT pdr to get a couple dings out and the guy that was working on my car noticed that my driver side door, fender and quarter panel had some specs of dust in it meaning it had been repainted. So when I pulled my car up on carfax, sure enough the car really had been in an accident. I was so pissed but didn't think I could do anything about it since almost a year had already passed.

Lesson I learned here is you can never completely trust a dealership's words and NEVER buy another car from TERRY BHARTI at Subaru Calgary.

edit: here's his picture
https://pictures.dealer.com//s/subarucalgarytc/0211/67acf0494046387201a5fb5a2f0be9ea.jpg

heavyD
04-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I recall when my brother was looking for a slightly used civic SIR we checked out several dealerships and it seemed like pretty well every one of them had been painted in areas. How many accidents do we have in this city daily not only in the winter but even perfect weather? Bottom line is if it's a used Calgary car there's a very good chance it's been in the bodyshop.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Do you know what was fixed? I don't know what kind of car it is but $4,500 is nothing. I was in a very minor low-speed accident where the damage was limited to where the bumper and hood meet (no damage at all past the bumper), and it was ~$10,000 (inc labor) to fix properly back to factory spec with all new parts and everything @ Maranello. Little things like grilles, clips, etc. ad up quickly.

If they are offering you a 2yr extended warranty, I'd take it, and just go elsewhere when its time to buy your next car.

taemo
04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by KRZY403
This thread brings me back memories of when I bought my car from Subaru Calgary. Terry Bharti was the salesman that sold me the car that had been in in accident. If I had known about it, I would have never purchased the car. This was my first time purchasing a car so I was a total newb. I never knew carproof or carfax even existed so I trusted him.

It was about a year and a half ago when I found out. I brought my car to DNT pdr to get a couple dings out and the guy that was working on my car noticed that my driver side door, fender and quarter panel had some specs of dust in it meaning it had been repainted. So when I pulled my car up on carfax, sure enough the car really had been in an accident. I was so pissed but didn't think I could do anything about it since almost a year had already passed.

Lesson I learned here is you can never completely trust a dealership's words and NEVER buy another car from TERRY BHARTI at Subaru Calgary.

edit: here's his picture
https://pictures.dealer.com//s/subarucalgarytc/0211/67acf0494046387201a5fb5a2f0be9ea.jpg

+1

didn't buy a car from him simply because he didn't even give me a chance and just assumed I couldn't afford buying a car.

I walked in on a friday afternoon with my 2 cousins, approached Terry and told him I wanted to buy a Subaru and asked him if I could test drive a WRX265 or an STi.
He seemed to be in a hurry and just told me to come back the next day at noon and he would take me for a ride.
I come the next day and he wasn't even working. Ryan Kershaw helps me instead and on Tuesday I come pick up my car infront of Terry's face.

lachris
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
It makes me very sad that these things still happen and all dealerships get lumped into one category. I work for a fantastic dealership and it sucks to be lumped in with these other tools.

Anyway, all dealerships are held accountable for their actions. Your best bet is to do some research and then go talk to the manager once you know your rights. First off "AS IS" does not exist! you can not sign away your rights as a consumer. So don't believe that.

Start here http://www.amvic.org/

hope this helps.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by taemo

+1

didn't buy a car from him simply because he didn't even give me a chance and just assumed I couldn't afford buying a car.

I walked in on a friday afternoon with my 2 cousins, approached Terry and told him I wanted to buy a Subaru and asked him if I could test drive a WRX265 or an STi.
He seemed to be in a hurry and just told me to come back the next day at noon and he would take me for a ride.
I come the next day and he wasn't even working. Ryan Kershaw helps me instead and on Tuesday I come pick up my car infront of Terry's face.

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. I was actively shopping for a car and could buy at any time, I went in there, and was looking at an STi. Getting a test drive was like pulling teeth because "the car had a turbocharger". Eventually I was allowed to putt around the block at 20 km/h. They lost a potential sale and I'll never buy anything or recommend anyone to that dealership.

It bothers me when the mainstream car manufactures think their cars are such hot shit. Chevy is the same with their base Corvettes - they treat it like its a Veyron or something. That is no way to sell a car IMO. Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc. are the complete opposite with cars 2-3 times more expensive.

beyond_ban
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
It bothers me when the mainstream car manufactures think their cars are such hot shit. Chevy is the same with their base Corvettes - they treat it like its a Veyron or something. That is no way to sell a car IMO. Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc. are the complete opposite with cars 2-3 times more expensive.

You have to think of it on the opposite side of the spectrum though. Sure, it looks like they are being snobby, but do you know how many people come into the dealership as complete tire kickers and just want a joy ride in the best car offered by the said company? I am sure the higher end dealerships experience the same thing, but just to a lesser extent. Generally someone entering their dealership requesting a drive is genuinely interested. Where as at the lower end dealerships they can have some chump there that is able to afford a Cobalt, but wants to take the Vette for a rip.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

You have to think of it on the opposite side of the spectrum though. Sure, it looks like they are being snobby, but do you know how many people come into the dealership as complete tire kickers and just want a joy ride in the best car offered by the said company? I am sure the higher end dealerships experience the same thing, but just to a lesser extent. Generally someone entering their dealership requesting a drive is genuinely interested. Where as at the lower end dealerships they can have some chump there that is able to afford a Cobalt, but wants to take the Vette for a rip.

I disagree, I think there are way more (or at least the same) "tire kickers" at the high end dealers because there are very few exciting offerings at the other dealers. Anyone entering any dealership requesting a test drive is just as likely to be interested - a good salesperson knows filtering their potential clients buy age or dress is a mistake. I find the salespeople at the lower end dealers to act far "snobbier" as well.

taemo
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I met a guy who's hobby is to go to dealerships just to test drive cars.

beyond_ban
04-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by taemo

I met a guy who's hobby is to go to dealerships just to test drive cars.

Does he work for Car and Driver?

Jokes aside, i have a friend who has list of cars hes test driven. When ever something new and exciting comes out he makes it his mission to test it. Some of the dealers n Calgary know him too well, so when the new 3-series diesel came out he tested it out in Edmonton hahaha.

[Yu]
04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew

Just because a lot of cars that have been in car accidents get sold doesn't mean the dealership isn't on the hook if they don't disclose the accident history on a car ESPECIALLY when the buyer asked them if it was ever in an accident. Believe it or not, there are laws protecting buyers against sellers not disclosing all the imformation that they know about their cars.

Kavy has it right, as long as the OP has all the evidence then he is set.

I don't know how he is going to prove he asked the statement "Was it involved in any accidents?" a year later. Unless he got it in written form and signed by both parties, it seems like his word vs. the dealer's word.

sk65guy
04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
sorry guys i haven't been on in awhile just dealing with the dealership, and after much time going back and forth and explaining to them that if there wasn't any damage i wouldn't be wasting my time and theirs, Although the dealership is taking their sweet time they have agreed to get the problems fixed, at least thats what has been said and ill update you guys if it actually goes through.