PDA

View Full Version : Upper body weakness/imbalances

kaput
04-05-2010, 09:00 PM

A790
04-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Look into Stronglifts 5x5. Start basic, build from there.

Training + time is the solution you're looking for.

xxxazntigerxx
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
free wieghts slowly add more wieghts at your own pace?

sxtasy
04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
start with the basics :dunno: Assisted dips/chin ups, push ups and free weights. Work your major muscles before your small muscles (example: don't do intense tricep workout before doing bench press as your triceps will be to tired to work out your chest) Get a book on the basics imo.

ChappedLips
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Eat lots of food and lift 3-4 times a week, gets lots of rest and don't overwork your muscles!

It will take time but eventually you will get there.

wes_v
04-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by A790
Look into Stronglifts 5x5. Start basic, build from there.

Training + time is the solution you're looking for.
:thumbsup: . I have been doing 5x5 for about 2 months now and I can already see results!

no_joke
04-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Definitely recommend following a program so you can set goals and track your progress. I was kind of in the same situation a few years ago- I was going to the gym but it felt like I was just spinning my tires and not accomplishing much. Whether it's the Stronglifts or a more suitable program for your goals- there's lots out there. For starters, now that you've got your feet wet, you should start using free weights and do some old fashioned weightlifting. Even though you pinpoint upper body as your weakness, I would suggest incorporating squats and deadlifts into your workout. Compound exercises that will strengthen the core and in turn, the upper body.

D'z Nutz
04-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by sxtasy
start with the basics :dunno: Assisted dips/chin ups, push ups and free weights.

That's how I got started. Just do what you can, even if you feel it's trivial, and build on it. Don't be embarrassed if it's even just one or two sets of 10 pushups a night at first. Just be sure to push yourself when you find you're getting too comfortable.

I also found it was helpful to keep a log of what you accomplished during each workout. It might not mean much now, but it can be a HUGE motivator when you look back in a month, two months, or six months and see how much your numbers improved.

And mix things up once in a while so you're not doing the same thing over and over again.

kaput
04-06-2010, 06:50 AM

Oz-
04-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Like people have mentioned, I just want to re-iterate. Work on the big compound lifts, don't bother with the italian workout (wife beater bicep curls/tricep extensions). The more musculature that you engage during the lift, the better long term benefit you get. Get a good strength base first and then you can start worrying about hypertrophy.

kaput
04-06-2010, 07:09 AM

Unknown303
04-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Thats kind of the point. The worse muscles are going to get the most workout and they will start to develop and catch up to the other muscles.

GQBalla
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
very true

like Oz- said, avoid the muscle isolation exercises until you have a strong base.

my mistake a few years ago.

starting doin compound exercises and im stronger than ever.

lint
04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by kaput
^That's what I'm trying to do, my problem is that I'm out of balance so engaging as many muscles as possible feels very ineffective because the reps get cut short when one muscle can't keep up and the rest are left feeling fine.

You're only as strong as your weakest link. Work on your weaknesses or your imbalance will never work itself out.