PDA

View Full Version : Rob Anders

Nusc
04-06-2010, 01:26 AM
What do the electorate of Calgary - West think of Rob Anders?

I hear all this criticism but no action. Recall what happened to Ann Coulter, people create Facebook groups but very little protesters showed up.

http://www.voteoutanders.com/what.shtml

Do people here just vote Conservative anyway?

The content of that site is not very constructive in achieving its aim. It does not recognize vote splitting amongst the political left, e.g. support XXX candidate to defeat Rob Anders.

TomcoPDR
04-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Contact Zenops, he's an expert on Mr. Anders. Some say they're roomies

JMaj7
04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
"Rob Anders is an outspoken MP with extreme social views.

It certainly takes conviction to speak up against the prevailing opinion of the day, and we have no qualms with his right to exercise free speech.

However, the job of an MP is to represent the interests and views of his or her constituents. An MP who consistently acts against the views of the people that he's representing isn't being a very good MP.

If you've taken the Anders Awareness Quiz, you'll know that sometimes it's difficult to tell who Anders thinks he's representing. (And if you haven't taken the quiz, you should do so now, because the following contains some spoilers).

The Nelson Mandela incident serves as an excellent example.

Nelson Mandela is the man widely hailed for inspiring the peaceful collapse of the apartheid regime in South Africa, under which whites and nonwhites were forcibly separated from one another, and a white minority ruled over the oppressed majority of the population. Elected deputy National President of the African National Congress in 1952, he advocated nonviolent resistance to the apartheid regime. However, the regime viewed him as a threat, and after the military massacred peaceful demonstrators at Sharpeville in 1960, the ANC launched the MK, a paramilitary wing to fight the oppressive regime. Although the MK only attacked symbolic targets under Mandela's watch, Mandela was arrested, and spent 27 years in jail. In 1991, he was elected President of South Africa, and continues to serve as an eloquent statesman, winning the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.

In 2001, the Federal Government decided to give Mandela honorary Canadian citizenship, making him only the second foreigner to receive such an honour. Deepak Obhrai, the Conservative MP for Calgary East, announced that Mandela was "Not only...an international symbol of resistance to prejudice and injustice, but...also a symbol for peace and forgiveness."

Rob Anders disagreed, calling Mandela, "a communist and a terrorist," decrying Mandela as "the politically correct Left-lib poster boy of today", and predicting that he would be forgotten in 30 years.

"Would you want to live in Johannesburg today?" he asked, implying that South Africans, 75% of whom were stripped of their rights for half of a century, would have been better off under the apartheid regime.

Mandela, famous for his willingness to reconcile with his oppressors, then attempted to phone Anders to smooth things out, but Anders refused to take his call.

Anders' actions were an embarrassment, both to his party, and to our riding.

"

there's links there too

CMW403
04-06-2010, 07:42 AM
Oh jeez...

Tik-Tok
04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Nusc

Do people here just vote Conservative anyway?

Yes. A turtle could be in office if it were a Conservative elect. Though that seems to be changing with the new Wildrose Alliance

ZenOps
04-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Hes not really that bad...

I think the gaffe with holding the arctic resources summit, and having no native representatives was a huge insult. Hillary Clinton (now the US foreign rep) was offended greatly by the omission of the natives.

It *IS* afterall their land, by British Treaty 6 (1876), Treaty 7 (1877), Treaty 8 (1899) and small portions of Treaty 4 (1894) and Treaty 10 (1906) standards, and even by US "freedom" standards, and even by any business real estate standard.

That - was a fault of Stephen Harper.

That Rob Anders does not see Bill Clinton as fit to be a Canadian Citizen and openly states it, is almost secondary. Heck, Nazis don't see others as being fit to be in "their" country either. Its opinion, but you do have to wonder about people in federal politics who have such intolerance for leaders of other countries, even the US.

Nusc
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Do they vote in favour of Rob Anders or in favour of the Conservative party?

Nusc
04-07-2010, 12:48 AM
That's a funny profile pic lol

Nusc
04-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Where is that thread of the guy who resigned from his commitee?

Nevermind:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/293949/members-quit-rob-anders-riding-association/

Neil4Speed
04-15-2010, 06:58 AM
If you have any questions, I am happy to talk about it.

"Do they vote in favour of Rob Anders or in favour of the Conservative party?"

Originally posted by g-m

yep a frog could replace anders in my riding and the conservatives would still win

Definitely in favour of the Conservative party.

Its kind of sad, as awesome as it was to get elected and try to make a difference, the apathy by many of the electorate for anything political really makes me want to dedicate my efforts to people who actually care about getting help, my buddy volunteers at the childrens hospital reading to sick kids - I am trying to get into doing something like that instead.