PDA

View Full Version : Tred from your tires ware off from racing?

bosa
08-30-2002, 12:57 PM
Does the tred from your tires ware off from racing,allowing you to have no traction in the winter?

van
08-30-2002, 01:06 PM
Driving alone I'd say wears your tire's tred away. So moving at high speeds constantly, would do that even faster?

Ben
08-30-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by civicLVR
Does the tred from your tires ware off from racing,allowing you to have no traction in the winter?

No, actually racing your car and turning at high rates of speed adds tred life.

Anyways, more seriously...when you race, your tired get warmer than average because they are being used alot harder...every tire has a rating system...Tread life, wet traction, dry traction, quckness to heat up etc. When tires heat up, the molecular bonds in the rubber weaken, because they space out more becomming more sticky and grippy, but this in return increases the wear severely because they are not being held tight as when they are being used under normal conditions.

Last track day I had the experience to see what a day of wear looks like on R compound rubber, they were pretty much destroyed...4 hours of use and they were done...how did that make you feel Warren? hahaha, damn that was fun!

Some tires hold up better than others...its a comprimise...pretty much every tire out there, you have to chose tread life or grip...more grip = decreased tread life...less grip = more tread life. usually a grippy tire is very soft and heats up to temperature faster and vice versa...

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-30-2002, 01:53 PM
Ben-ny the science guy :thumbsup:

buh_buh
08-30-2002, 02:44 PM
If you were to use your tires for "racing", then you probably wouldn't be using the same tires for winter anyways. 4 season tires wouldn't be good for performance, and would not be superb in the winter. Z rated tires wouldn't be good for the winter, and snow tires wouldn't be good in the summer.

4wheeldrift
08-30-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Benny

Last track day I had the experience to see what a day of wear looks like on R compound rubber, they were pretty much destroyed...4 hours of use and they were done...how did that make you feel Warren? hahaha, damn that was fun!

They actually still grip incredibly. The other three are starting to match that one that got mangled so badly. Ah well, twas all in good fun :D Set of camber plates will fix that problem.

GTS Jeff
08-30-2002, 09:37 PM
treadwear is not the only factor affecting traction. as rubber is subject to repeated heatings, it hardens, which lessens its grip.

4wheeldrift
08-30-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
treadwear is not the only factor affecting traction. as rubber is subject to repeated heatings, it hardens, which lessens its grip.

This is only a factor in tires that heat cycle. Most normal compound street tires don't exhibit this behaviour, though some do (falcon azenis are the only street tire I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more).