PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Securities Course

krazykhoja
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
I've been looking into taking the CSC and I'm finally going to register but just had a couple quick questions before I do.

The first question I had: Is the only place to take the course through www.csi.ca? Or is it possible to say buy textbooks off someone and study & just challenge the exam? I realize that this is an investment and is the first step in a couple designations I am looking at, but if I can save some money I might as well.

Secondly: I have heard lots of conflicting information about how much time people have spent studying. I have a background in economics and some finance as well, so is the exam very straight-forward, more of a review with my background or would there be lots of new material to learn?

Third: I know people have said to buy a study guide, is it really helpful and are there multiple versions? If there are which version is the best?

Fourth: Is the hard-copy textbook worth it? Its an extra $80, but if people felt the textbook wasn't helpful then I might as well save the $80 and spend it on the study guide.

Thank you to everyone who can shed some light on my questions!

borN
04-07-2010, 04:09 AM
I took the CSC in January and it isn't a super hard exam. My first exam was on the 18th, and second on the 26th. Like yourself, I'm in my fourth year of finance with a minor in economics, so some of the material is obviously review; however, regulation and some other topics are brand new that I've never come across before.

I spent probably 30-40 hours studying on each exam. My study habits were basically to read the book, then review all the important things in each chapter, partially memorize the summaries, and finish the online practice exam. I purchased the practice guide thing from CSI itself in a package that came with the two books (you shouldn't need hardcover, my two books are now stacked under a whole pile of junk somewhere). The practice exam that you can take online does have some questions that are shown on the exam itself or are very similar with the exception of numbers, which is a perk - but it's only maybe three or four questions.

I aimed for a pass which is a 60%, because there isn't a difference between a 79% or a 60%, it'll be a pass and your mark isn't shown on your certificate. Before I think there were honors if you achieved over 80%, but correct me if I'm wrong because I think they eliminated that?

Regardless, good luck! It took me two weeks of studying to finish the whole course, and it was two very boring weeks.

Rstar
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
csi has a monopoly on it so you have to do all your courses through them. for the most part their courses are pretty shitty. Not overly hard, but you have to make sure you read everything inc all the case studies and appendix. A lot of the questions are worded poorly, but some of them are exacty copies of the practice quiz questions. Not that hard, just a pain in the ass.

TYMSMNY
04-07-2010, 08:41 AM
You need to register for the course through CSI, no other way. You don't need to purchase the books. The website will have ALL the chapters on there... just go through an print it out, bind it, and boom... you've got yourself a book!

As for the difficulty, it really depends on your background and your understanding of terminology + how financial instruments work (in detail).

Best of luck!

You're not allowed to register for two courses at once. You can only register for the second part once you pass the first one.

borN
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

You're not allowed to register for two courses at once. You can only register for the second part once you pass the first one.

Not sure if they changed it since December, but I registered for both of mine at the same time, which I thought was odd. Maybe they got smart and changed it though!

Canmorite
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by borN
I took the CSC in January and it isn't a super hard exam. My first exam was on the 18th, and second on the 26th. Like yourself, I'm in my fourth year of finance with a minor in economics, so some of the material is obviously review; however, regulation and some other topics are brand new that I've never come across before.

I spent probably 30-40 hours studying on each exam. My study habits were basically to read the book, then review all the important things in each chapter, partially memorize the summaries, and finish the online practice exam. I purchased the practice guide thing from CSI itself in a package that came with the two books (you shouldn't need hardcover, my two books are now stacked under a whole pile of junk somewhere). The practice exam that you can take online does have some questions that are shown on the exam itself or are very similar with the exception of numbers, which is a perk - but it's only maybe three or four questions.

I aimed for a pass which is a 60%, because there isn't a difference between a 79% or a 60%, it'll be a pass and your mark isn't shown on your certificate. Before I think there were honors if you achieved over 80%, but correct me if I'm wrong because I think they eliminated that?

Regardless, good luck! It took me two weeks of studying to finish the whole course, and it was two very boring weeks.

I wrote both exams at the same time as you haha. I studied about the same amount and passed with 76% and 78% on tests 1 and 2. I also used the cleary study guide as well as the books, plus practice exams.

OP, I have some 2006 books you can use if you want, but I believe some material has changed since then!

krazykhoja
04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by borN
I purchased the practice guide thing from CSI itself in a package that came with the two books

Is the practice guide you bought the CSC check or was it something else?

Originally posted by Canmorite

I wrote both exams at the same time as you haha. I studied about the same amount and passed with 76% and 78% on tests 1 and 2. I also used the cleary study guide as well as the books, plus practice exams.

OP, I have some 2006 books you can use if you want, but I believe some material has changed since then!

PM'd about the books, thanks!

If anyone else has any old books/study guides/exams that I could have/borrow/rent please let me know :)

Thanks for all your replies!

Ebon
04-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Just register and take the exams. You can get the books from anywhere you want.

I did it between 1 month gap I had before classes started. Had absolutely no finance courses at all and still easily passed. Didn't do anything special just read the textbooks.

Overall, a pretty useless and expensive line on my resume.

krazykhoja
04-14-2010, 09:48 PM
I had another question in regards to the renewal of the CSC. I've heard you need to renew it every three years if you don't meet certain requirements.

I know some requirements would be a job in the industry, but I have heard if you are taking certain other courses or designations you don't need to renew it? I tried to search but could not find a definite answer anywhere. Could someone please shed some light on this for me? Just want to make sure I know what I need to do so I don't have to renew the course.

Thanks!!