PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how that oil stop leak works?

LUDELVR
04-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows how this shit works. There's a small leak that drips every now and again and is leaving small stains on the ground. Anyone try this shit?

Redlyne_mr2
04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Yah basically the stop leak contains a chemical that softens the seals and effectively causes them to swell. It works well for a short period of time but eventually causes all seals it comes in contact with to fail.

LUDELVR
04-07-2010, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Yah basically the stop leak contains a chemical that softens the seals and effectively causes them to swell. It works well for a short period of time but eventually causes all seals it comes in contact with to fail.

haha, hmmm...that sounds promising! Always the bearer of good news Ryan! Thanks mate! :devil:

davesparky6
04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
^^^ You don't work for Right Price Auto by chance?

LUDELVR
04-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by davesparky6

Nah bro.

CelicaST-162
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by davesparky6
:D
I think what he meant was, is fixing the leak properly an option? :)

LUDELVR
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

:D
I think what he meant was, is fixing the leak properly an option? :)

haha, oh mate, over my head!

anyway, fixingit properly is always an option...but I'm lazy as! ;)

:rofl:

I'm not 100% certain where it's coming from, but I reckon it's coming from the oil return bung. I drilled and tapped a barb fitting to the pan, but the hole wasn't 100% sealed so I used some JBweld in the small cracks. I'm guessing it's slightly coming out from there but I can't see anything definitive.

In any case, I hate taking off the pan and may just live with the drip, unless I get super motivated and drop the pan and redo it. :dunno:

I just thought that shit worked by getting into the spaces with air and something in the air caused it to harden, but whatever. I'll try swtiching to a thicker oil! haha

CelicaST-162
04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

haha, oh mate, over my head!

anyway, fixingit properly is always an option...but I'm lazy as! ;)

:rofl:

I'm not 100% certain where it's coming from, but I reckon it's coming from the oil return bung. I drilled and tapped a barb fitting to the pan, but the hole wasn't 100% sealed so I used some JBweld in the small cracks. I'm guessing it's slightly coming out from there but I can't see anything definitive.

In any case, I hate taking off the pan and may just live with the drip, unless I get super motivated and drop the pan and redo it. :dunno:

I just thought that shit worked by getting into the spaces with air and something in the air caused it to harden, but whatever. I'll try swtiching to a thicker oil! haha

If you're not sure where it's leaking from. Using a can of engine degreaser, wash off the oil leaks and start new! With it washed off, you can trace the leak much easier.

Redlyne_mr2
04-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

haha, hmmm...that sounds promising! Always the bearer of good news Ryan! Thanks mate! :devil:

haha sorry man, just didn't want you to make the same mistake I did. I used it once on an old Toyota truck I had, thing leaked like crazy after 6 months.