PDA

View Full Version : Telus pricing discrepancy?

Tik-Tok
04-07-2010, 11:08 PM
wtf is up with Telus and their pre-paid VS monthly pricing?

LG Banter - Prepaid phone price $79.99
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_265_pp/index.shtml

LG Banter - Monthly plan $199.99 with no contract
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_265/index.shtml
or $149 for a 1 year contract, $99 for 2 years, and $0 for 3 years.

Why would someone pay more and be stuck in a contract, when they could buy it for the pre-paid price and then upgrade their plan to a monthly one?

aqure591
04-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Because when you sign a contract you get the promotional features which you will not receive on a prepaid. ( Such as the unlimited 6 month local calling etc etc). Even though you have prepaid to begin with and you upgrade to a monthly contract, you only get the perks when on a contract. Its not like your not gonna have a phone in 1,2, or 3 years of time. .

And if you have shitty credit history then your only choice is prepaid.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
wtf is up with Telus and their pre-paid VS monthly pricing?

LG Banter - Prepaid phone price $79.99
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_265_pp/index.shtml

LG Banter - Monthly plan $199.99 with no contract
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/AB/lg_265/index.shtml
or $149 for a 1 year contract, $99 for 2 years, and $0 for 3 years.

Why would someone pay more and be stuck in a contract, when they could buy it for the pre-paid price and then upgrade their plan to a monthly one?

aqure591
04-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Also I think in order to switch from a prepaid to a monthly contract you have to have your prepaid line deactivated for a certain amount of time.

Originally posted by aqure591
Because when you sign a contract you get the promotional features which you will not receive on a prepaid. ( Such as the unlimited 6 month local calling etc etc). Even though you have prepaid to begin with and you upgrade to a monthly contract, you only get the perks when on a contract. Its not like your not gonna have a phone in 1,2, or 3 years of time. .

And if you have shitty credit history then your only choice is prepaid.

Intent_Fire
04-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Yep, the old bait and switch.

I probably did this a good 100 times for people when I used to work at bell.

Buy the prepaid phone, do what ever with it, hell you can even activate it if the store requires it, then just do what is called an ESN swap in the store. If the employee says they or telus/bell does not allow it then just tell them to suck it and go to a different store or talk to a different employee because they are full of shit and just too lazy to do it.

There is no 'minimum' time the phone needs to be activated/deactivated for any company.

Plain and simple, and you get yourself a new phone. Toss the old one and the prepaid account will expire after a few months.

aqure591
04-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Don't they charge you a fee in the store or on the bill for the esn change your talking about? My friend did this so called "esn swap" he got charged $20 on the bill because both phones were on the same account. He said if they are different accounts then it is a $20 charge for each phone.

Originally posted by Intent_Fire
Yep, the old bait and switch.

I probably did this a good 100 times for people when I used to work at bell.

Buy the prepaid phone, do what ever with it, hell you can even activate it if the store requires it, then just do what is called an ESN swap in the store. If the employee says they or telus/bell does not allow it then just tell them to suck it and go to a different store or talk to a different employee because they are full of shit and just too lazy to do it.

There is no 'minimum' time the phone needs to be activated/deactivated for any company.

Plain and simple, and you get yourself a new phone. Toss the old one and the prepaid account will expire after a few months.

lint
04-08-2010, 12:19 AM
There's a difference between swapping a new handset onto an existing postpaid account (ESN swap) and buying a prepaid phone and then converting your prepaid account to a post paid account. An ESN swap costs money, I think there's still a discounted rate if you do it yourself online. Switching from pre to post doesn't, as the business wants more people on post paid, since you need to pass a credit check or post up a large deposit. Better clientèle